BBO Discussion Forums: Checking that I'm not the crazy one - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Checking that I'm not the crazy one

#61 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-03, 00:12

Deleted
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#62 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-03, 03:02

akwoo, on 2012-December-01, 21:44, said:

Back when I last played a 12-14 1nt in a regular partnership, we agreed to systemically open 2425 hands in range with 1nt. (In fact, our 12-14 1nt specifically allowed any 5422 hand with 5 in a minor; in practice this was unusual with a 4 card spade suit and usual otherwise.)

As far as I can tell, noone is suggesting that opening 1NT with a 2425 hand is a problem per se. Rather it is whether xx/AKxx/xx/AKxxx falls into the 12-14 range. It is a separate question again whether you actually want to treat such a hand as balanced or as 1.5 suited.

Also, I do not think anyone is suggesting that 2 doubletons are as good as a singleton once a fit has been found. It is possible for 2 hands not to have exactly the same evaluation and yet still to qualify for the same bid. For example, I assume both xx/KJxx/Ax/KTxxx and x/KJxx/Axx/KTxxx would be 2 raises for (almost) everyone? Similarly, if you judge xx/AKxx/xx/AKxxx to be a minimum 3 raise, then I do not see any problem with x/AKxx/xxx/AKxxx being a (better) 3 bid. The question is merely where you draw the line. I would be happy bidding 3 on both (but I do come from Acol-land and play a weak NT, if that makes a difference). If I had a problem with the range of the 3 raise then I would probably try to use the 3 rebid to cover some of these hands.
(-: Zel :-)

#63 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-03, 04:01

the hog, on 2012-December-01, 19:00, said:

So after a 1C opening and a 1S response you would reverse to 2H on this hand?

90% of club players here in Northern England would open 1 and rebid 2 with that hand. It has merits. After all, 3NT is probably best played by partner.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#64 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-03, 18:13

Did not one poster post this: "As for the difference between x xxx and xx xx, it may not be as much as you think and could even be a trick weaker"?
Where are you parrot?

#65 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-03, 18:43

Nabooba, on 2012-December-03, 18:13, said:

Did not one poster post this: "As for the difference between x xxx and xx xx, it may not be as much as you think and could even be a trick weaker"?

Could.

If partner has KQx QJxx xxxx xx, we have reasonable play for for hearts, yet when partner has x AKxx xxx AKxxx we have four top losers. On average the hand with the singleton is stronger (as I stated in the same paragraph), but it ain't necessarily so. Maybe you simply misunderstood, but the partial quotation does you no credit.

xx AKxx xx AKxxx is a 3 bid because we usually have a decent play for game opposite a mundane 8 or 9 count that will pass 2. Try this hand with less, including a wasted queen:

Axx Jxxxx Qxx xx

Hardly, cherry-picking. By the way, where can I get your book?

#66 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-04, 03:23

the hog, on 2012-December-02, 03:36, said:

Would the naysayers bid 4H on [x AKxx xxx AKxxx], or do you think this hand has the same value as
xx AKxx xx AKxxx ? It doesn't for me.

No, I would bid 3 on both and no, I do not think they have the same value.

Surprise: I would open a strong NT on 15HCP and on 17HCP, despite the fact that 17>15.

Hands do not have the same value, just because I use the same bid for them. There is such a thing as "range".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#67 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-05, 13:18

Trinidad, on 2012-December-04, 03:23, said:

No, I would bid 3 on both and no, I do not think they have the same value.

Surprise: I would open a strong NT on 15HCP and on 17HCP, despite the fact that 17>15.

Hands do not have the same value, just because I use the same bid for them. There is such a thing as "range".

Rik

Exactly, imo xx AKxx AKxxx xx or xx AKxx xx AKxxx looks like lower range of a 3 bid much more than higher end of a 2 bid.

Let me put it this way, we could have a different debate (and of course choices) if the hand was xx AQxx Jx AQJxx and this is still the high end of 2 range despite the Jx imo, still way too weak compared to the hand we are discussing.

Untill we are allowed by bridge laws to bid 1/2 bids (2.5 ), i am afraid this debate between absolute hcp followers and others will continue forever.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users