Is this a 4NT? Or not?
#1
Posted 2011-November-20, 17:27
♠Tx
♥T
♦AQJT4
♣AQJ72
3♠-Pa-Pa-???
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#2
Posted 2011-November-20, 17:37
Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"
#3
Posted 2011-November-20, 17:43
#4
Posted 2011-November-20, 17:52
Mbodell, on 2011-November-20, 17:43, said:
Which opp is going to do that, the one who opened with a preempt, or the one who passed it?
#6
Posted 2011-November-21, 03:43
#7
Posted 2011-November-21, 03:49
If partner bids 4N I am going to pass rather than bid 5C. I'm not sure that this is correct. In that case I will gain when we play 4N instead of 5m and it is right.
Another way for me to lose is if partner raises to 5D and 5C is the only making game, but based on my hand (ie, the solidity of my minors) this seems very unlikely. It's not like we will need to ruff out diamonds that often or whatever. Maybe if partner has the ace of spades and we could pitch the other spades on the diamonds if we are in clubs or something.
edit: And in case anyone cares, I think 4D is better than 4C becuase there is a significant chance partner will bid 4H.
#8
Posted 2011-November-21, 03:52
JLOGIC, on 2011-November-21, 03:49, said:
If partner bids 4N I am going to pass rather than bid 5C. I'm not sure that this is correct. In that case I will gain when we play 4N instead of 5m and it is right.
Another way for me to lose is if partner raises to 5D and 5C is the only making game, but based on my hand (ie, the solidity of my minors) this seems very unlikely. It's not like we will need to ruff out diamonds that often or whatever.
edit: And in case anyone cares, I think 4D is better than 4C becuase there is a significant chance partner will bid 4H.
what would you do if you played 4m as artificial?
George Carlin
#9
Posted 2011-November-21, 03:56
gwnn, on 2011-November-21, 03:52, said:
ABSTAIN!
It is amusing that during the last nationals some hand was going around where it was a perfect leaping non michaels hand, and no one knew what to do, and I said the dutch play something called NON LEAPING MICHAELS and everyone was like OMG WTF. I literally have never played it and thus have no experience dealing with the problem hand types it creates, while I have lots of experience with the problem hand types that playing natural 4m creates since I've always played it.
I guess 4N would be the bid. Balancing with 3N is a little bit crazy because even if they don't lead a spade they will lead a heart, and that could be bad, and even if nothing bad happens, not like we have even one solid minor to gamble on. Maybe passing is right but I couldn't do it.
#10
Posted 2011-November-21, 04:50
♠K
♥Q98x
♦Kxxx
♣T8xx
She passed 4♦ but it was her first tournament (4NT wasn't available). Is game biddable after a 4♦ balancing action?
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#11
Posted 2011-November-21, 07:09
But I would bid 4N originally, mostly because of that old mantra about always playing in your best fit. If I bid 4N i get to play in my best fit.
#12
Posted 2011-November-21, 07:57
#13
Posted 2011-November-21, 09:39
JLOGIC, on 2011-November-21, 03:49, said:
If partner bids 4N I am going to pass rather than bid 5C. I'm not sure that this is correct. In that case I will gain when we play 4N instead of 5m and it is right.
Another way for me to lose is if partner raises to 5D and 5C is the only making game, but based on my hand (ie, the solidity of my minors) this seems very unlikely. It's not like we will need to ruff out diamonds that often or whatever. Maybe if partner has the ace of spades and we could pitch the other spades on the diamonds if we are in clubs or something.
edit: And in case anyone cares, I think 4D is better than 4C becuase there is a significant chance partner will bid 4H.
so are you ready to pass 4♥ or are you going to insist on 5♣ since partner couldn't act directly over 3♠
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#14
Posted 2011-November-21, 09:46
He bids 4♦ because then he can bid both suits.
(nonsense by opps)
4♦-4♥
5♣
is better than
4♣-4♥
5♦
George Carlin
#15
Posted 2011-November-21, 10:18
I think partner should suck it up and bid 5♦ with her hand, tho I understand her concern...no Aces and in essence at most a working 5 count.
#16
Posted 2011-November-21, 11:24
(4♦ is non-leaping Michaels for me.)
#17
Posted 2011-November-22, 12:54

Help
