Pass or dbl? Comments welcome.
Balancing call poll
#1
Posted 2011-November-20, 15:12
Pass or dbl? Comments welcome.
#4
Posted 2011-November-20, 15:49
#6
Posted 2011-November-20, 17:30
#7
Posted 2011-November-20, 17:44
gnasher, on 2011-November-20, 17:30, said:
Is this an irony?
I pass. I believe this is the best contract we can play in.
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#8
Posted 2011-November-20, 17:48
#9
Posted 2011-November-20, 22:19
JLOGIC, on 2011-November-20, 17:48, said:
9 count, 3 spades, flat hand, no good suit, no 10's or 9's, partner couldn't act over 1 heart. All feels like there is no game for us, lefty could have a Big 2 suiter near GF that might be awakened if I double and my minor cards sit well for him if it does.
I'm selling out with a pass.
#10
Posted 2011-November-21, 03:39
#11
Posted 2011-November-21, 04:02
Here we have a 9 count with fine defense, and heart shortness. There is no reason to think they have missed anything, most likely partner has some kind of weak NT with some heart length, or maybe even on a good day a trap pass of hearts and it's our hand. Who knows. I want to get in there and compete when it can easily be our hand, or we can at least push our opponents higher to some level where we can beat them. Living in fear that they have game when all the available evidence suggests that they don't (RHO has announced a very weak hand, LHO has announced not a GF in his hand, we have 9 points and some defense) leading us to sacrifice 5 imps fairly often seems like a bad idea to me.
#12
Posted 2011-November-21, 04:04
Fluffy, on 2011-November-21, 03:39, said:
That is a very negative attitude. If partner has hearts good enough to beat 1H 2 tricks, maybe we will defend 1H X and get 500. Why do they have some awesome fit to run to? Even if they run to 1S and partner can't X, surely we can bid 1N? Or if partner has a stiff spade and they are cold for 2S or 3S despite partners hearts, maybe he has a minor suit fit and we can make a minor suit partial or game? Maybe we are cold for 3N. Who knows.
No, I don't think a big plus score is likely our way, but I don't think a big minus score is likely either. They are both just tail end possibilities. I def don't think them being cold for 3S but us not being able to make anything and ALSO being able to beat 1H 2 tricks is likely at all.
#13
Posted 2011-November-21, 04:12
-instadouble then think
-think then pass
But I´ll put more weight on who the opponents are. For example having whereagles as an opponent who will open 14 counts in 2♣ this is a clear double, there are others against you need some table presence.
I used my table presence asking about 2♣/♦ openings to a french ladies (they played 2 way strong bids) a couple of years ago. I finally reopened 1♥, that won 5 IMPs, because the other table played 4♥ +450, but after my reopening they played 6♥ -1 instead of 1♥+4. My table presence sucks
#14
Posted 2011-November-21, 16:52
The odds of pard having 4-4 in the minors or a poor 5-card one with a decent point count are pretty good. If the opps own a game, they would have bid (towards) it already is a far better premise than worying that you will balance them into it. That's an insult to them.
What is baby oil made of?
#15
Posted 2011-November-21, 17:12
It's an interesting idea.
"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
#16
Posted 2011-November-21, 20:55
I don't think this number is much enough to lead us to chose a submissive action. It is in human nature, that when they sit on 1♥ and find a game after we balance, to feel miserable and remember as if this happens a lot. And the hands we balance seems to be push or 1-2 imps gain and gets lost easily in memories. However we ignore the fact that, had we choosed not to balance, those push boards could be a good size minus most of the time if not as bad as a game swing now and then.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"
"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."
#17
Posted 2011-November-22, 04:59
Thus our chances of winning the part score battle are much smaller than if we had more HCP or more spades. It seems like a lot of the time we will simply be exchanging 1h+2 for -2 in 3 spades in a 4-3 fit? What are we expecting partner to do with a 4-3-4-2 shape and a 12 count if the opponents bid 2H? He will jump to 3S. This could also get doubled.
It just seems like there are a lot of bad things that could happen. And not many good things. Sure, sometimes we can make 3m, but even if we can, opften partner will prefer to bid a spade partial and that wont make.
#18
Posted 2011-November-22, 06:08
phil_20686, on 2011-November-22, 04:59, said:
I'm expecting him to bid 2♠. My minimum is about 3 points weaker than in the direct seat, so his actions should be correspondingly stronger.
#19
Posted 2011-November-22, 12:51
I decided to dbl, for more or less what justin said, and saw it go
(1♥) pass (pass) dbl
(3♦) ??
Can anyone guess what pard bid? Our agreements were
Dbl = responsive
3♠ = 4 spades and 10-12 hcp
3♥ = just about any 13+ hcp
4♣ = kind of undiscussed
4♠ = 5 cards and 10-12 hcp (for each spade more, subtract 2 hcp). Rare bid, as there was no 1S overcall.
#20
Posted 2011-November-22, 17:10

Help
