answering a take out double with 3145
#1
Posted 2011-November-15, 10:44
♥5
♦Q1065
♣AQJ74
1♣-(2♥)-double-(pass)
??
nobody vul, MPs. New suits instead of double would all be forcing.
#2
Posted 2011-November-15, 10:52
Personally I would try 2S, just in case pard has 7-9 with 5 cards there.
#3
Posted 2011-November-15, 11:16
In any case, if I was planning to raise 1S to 2S with this hand, I can't imagine doing anything else but bidding 2S now. In effect, partner has responded 1S, plus she has enough to make the neg double at this level. Nothing has changed for me, as opener.
#4
Posted 2011-November-15, 11:38
#5
Posted 2011-November-15, 11:40
Bridge should be fun!
#6
Posted 2011-November-15, 11:55
#7
Posted 2011-November-15, 13:22
jillybean, on 2011-November-15, 11:40, said:
This is a perennial topic for debate, but, if you open 1♦ and partner bids 1♥, your rebid is 1N, or 2♣? Both are profoundly flawed: the first means you have NEVER bid your AQJxx suit (and you have the problems about whether and when partner should commit to his major) and the second will be less than optimal should partner be stuck with something like 4=4=2=3 and an 8 or 9 count, on which the technically correct call is the false preference to 2♦ (not to mention the more common 4=5=2=2 weak hand)
As it is, on the OP, I would bid 2♠ for the reasons given by aguahombre.
And 3♦, logically, has to show extra values.....it forces partner to raise the level in order to return to clubs, so meets every definition of a reverse. While over a 1♠ overcall, bidding 2♦ in response to the negative double shows, imo, 'some extras', in this auction, in which we are bidding at the 3-level and partner has to take preference, when preference is needed, at the 4 level, 3♦ should show, again imo, 'substantial extras'.
#8
Posted 2011-November-15, 14:09
mikeh, on 2011-November-15, 13:22, said:
I've had a lot of lucky MP results bidding 1♠ on these auctions when the 4-3 fit plays very well. Started experimenting with it when I read that Meckwell invented support doubes because they were getting to too many 3-3 fits and I wondered how.
Much more danger of a foul split in this auction but I would still bid 2♠.
What is baby oil made of?
#9
Posted 2011-November-15, 15:02
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#10
Posted 2011-November-15, 17:08
I never though 3♦ showed extras, for me double shows 2 palces to play, and if partner doesn't have diamonds he will have long clubs to retreat
#11
Posted 2011-November-16, 05:46
Fluffy, on 2011-November-15, 17:08, said:
Similar questions have been discussed in the past, eg as in the OP but with a 1♥ overcall rather than 2♥. As I recall, all the Americans insist opener bidding ♦s shows extra values, many Europeans don't - I'm not sure about other parts of the world.
#12
Posted 2011-November-16, 08:16
WellSpyder, on 2011-November-16, 05:46, said:
I believe the disagreement stems from terminology of the negative double itself. Even though it usually shows (or denies) the other major, it is not in the same category as other "takeout" doubles. Responsive doubles after partner's takeout double are similar, in that they don't really show the presence of two suits to play, but rather they show values to compete with no real suits.
People even use "takeout" to describe the general category of Support Doubles, Snapdragon Doubles, and others---they are probably right, but it is not right to advance these doubles in the same way one would respond to a traditional low-level initial takeout double such as we all learned in Bridge 101.
#13
Posted 2011-November-16, 10:04
- hrothgar
#14
Posted 2011-November-16, 15:27
WellSpyder, on 2011-November-16, 05:46, said:
I'm not an American, and in these parts, the standard meaning is that bidding diamonds shows extras. I'd be interested in the logic behind the idea that it need not, given that partner may hold a minimum with spades and a modest club fit.
#15
Posted 2011-November-16, 15:30
mikeh, on 2011-November-16, 15:27, said:
North American? Some of our Canadian neighbors get really bent out of shape when lumped in with us. Justifiably, IMO.
OTOH, we have some nerve unofficially calling our country America. We are only part of a huge land mass ---two continents; and one of our states is not part of that land mass.
This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-November-16, 15:44
#16
Posted 2011-November-16, 16:30
1♣-( 2♥ )- X -(pass)
2♠-(pass)-4♠-(X)
??
#17
Posted 2011-November-16, 16:35
#18
Posted 2011-November-16, 18:24
Fluffy, on 2011-November-16, 16:30, said:
1♣-( 2♥ )- X -(pass)
2♠-(pass)-4♠-(X)
??
I'm not unhappy yet.
London UK
#19
Posted 2011-November-16, 18:26
mikeh, on 2011-November-16, 15:27, said:
Dealing with a 1♥ overcall is very different.
Some of us from South of the border respond 1♠ with spades.
For us, 1♣ - (1♥) - X
denies 4 ♠s & strongly suggests ♦s. Hence 2♦ by opener does not show extras.
Responder might have
♠Kx ♥Txx ♦Qxxxx ♣Kxx
#20
Posted 2011-November-16, 18:44
shevek, on 2011-November-16, 18:26, said:
Some of us from South of the border respond 1♠ with spades.
For us, 1♣ - (1♥) - X
denies 4 ♠s & strongly suggests ♦s. Hence 2♦ by opener does not show extras.
Responder might have
♠Kx ♥Txx ♦Qxxxx ♣Kxx
I had intended to address the OP sequence, not the 1♥ sequence. FWIW, I prefer double of 1♥ as 5+ spades (but excluding some 6+ spade hands shown by 2♥) with 1♠ as the 'I have values to get involved but no descriptive bid' hand, which in practice always includes 4+ diamonds when partner bid 1♣ (can't raise clubs, lacks 4♠ and can't bid 1N).

Help
