BBO Discussion Forums: answering a take out double with 3145 - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

answering a take out double with 3145

Poll: answering a take out double with 3145 (26 member(s) have cast votes)

what now?

  1. 2 spades (16 votes [61.54%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 61.54%

  2. 3 clubs (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 7.69%

  3. 3 diamons (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 26.92%

  4. other (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-November-17, 02:27

If partner had a 10-count and five spades he'd have bid 2♠, not double. Hence we're probably in a 4-3 fit, somebody has doubled, and I have to play it. I can see some reasons for unhappiness, but I have nowhere to go.

Partner should realise that 2♠ is often bid on a three-card suit, so he should usually avoid bidding 4♠ with only four of them - he can also bid 3NT or 3♥ to explore alternatives. This 4♠ bid implies, therefore, that he doesn't think we have any alternative strain.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#22 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-17, 03:22

Id run
0

#23 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2011-November-17, 06:14

View Postgnasher, on 2011-November-17, 02:27, said:

Partner should realise that 2♠ is often bid on a three-card suit ...

It's surprising how many people forget this in the heat of battle. They need to enter bidding challenges or read these forums more.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#24 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2011-November-25, 06:32

View Postmikeh, on 2011-November-15, 13:22, said:

And 3♦, logically, has to show extra values.....it forces partner to raise the level in order to return to clubs, so meets every definition of a reverse. While over a 1♠ overcall, bidding 2♦ in response to the negative double shows, imo, 'some extras', in this auction, in which we are bidding at the 3-level and partner has to take preference, when preference is needed, at the 4 level, 3♦ should show, again imo, 'substantial extras'.


Not if you open one club with, say 3-4-4-2.

Agree that 3d must show extras if it necessarily shows longer clubs.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

#25 User is offline   jdeegan 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,427
  • Joined: 2005-August-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-November-25, 13:47

:P 2♠ the first time for reasons well-explained in this thread. After 4♠-double, I too want to run, but how? Expecting pard to treat 4NT as being for minors is too obscure for me, and he is unlikely to have a double ♥ stop. 5♣ seems the least of evils. Does RHO look like a player holding five spades and four clubs? Good players usually won't double 4 spades unless they are prepared to double any run out. 5♦ puts all our chances in pard having four or five. If I had another king, I might pass and try to brute it out.
0

#26 User is offline   jdeegan 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,427
  • Joined: 2005-August-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-November-25, 13:51

delete
0

#27 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,951
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-25, 13:53

View Postjdeegan, on 2011-November-25, 13:47, said:

:P 2♠ the first time for reasons well-explained in this thread. After 4♠-double, I too want to run, but how? Expecting pard to treat 4NT as being for minors is too obscure for me, and he is unlikely to have a double ♥ stop. 5♣ seems the least of evils. Does RHO look like a player holding five spades and four clubs? 5♦ puts all our chances in pard having four or five. If I had another king, I might pass and try to brute it out.

I don't think any competent player would misunderstand 4N. In fact, if my partner did it, I'd give 10-1 odds that he has exactly this shape and approximately these values.

That's not saying I'd run....I have no reason for thinking that 5 of a minor will be better..
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#28 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-25, 18:14

most tables made 10 tricks in NT, while spade contracts were doomed to 9 tricks. Partner had something like ♠KQ10x ♥QJ9x ♦Kx ♣Kxx (not fully sure about the minors)
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users