BBO Discussion Forums: answering a take out double with 3145 - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

answering a take out double with 3145

Poll: answering a take out double with 3145 (26 member(s) have cast votes)

what now?

  1. 2 spades (16 votes [61.54%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 61.54%

  2. 3 clubs (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 7.69%

  3. 3 diamons (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 26.92%

  4. other (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-15, 10:44

♠A83
♥5
♦Q1065
♣AQJ74


1♣-(2♥)-double-(pass)
??

nobody vul, MPs. New suits instead of double would all be forcing.
0

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-November-15, 10:52

Anything is good: 2S, 3C, 3D are all ok. I think 3D need not show extras, but that's something you need to discuss with pard.

Personally I would try 2S, just in case pard has 7-9 with 5 cards there.
0

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-November-15, 11:16

Either 1♣ was unprepared, or it was prepared to rebid clubs. 3D must show extra values IMO, since it is not a suit shown by the negative double.

In any case, if I was planning to raise 1S to 2S with this hand, I can't imagine doing anything else but bidding 2S now. In effect, partner has responded 1S, plus she has enough to make the neg double at this level. Nothing has changed for me, as opener.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
5

#4 User is offline   jschafer 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 203
  • Joined: 2010-October-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cyprus

Posted 2011-November-15, 11:38

I agree with the above post.
I build Killer Bridge Leads — an opening lead simulator for practice and analysis
0

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,996
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-15, 11:40

I open 1♦ to minimise this problem.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
1

#6 User is offline   karlson 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 974
  • Joined: 2005-April-06

Posted 2011-November-15, 11:55

I think 2n should just be scrambling here, but I would probably bid 2♠ anyway.
1

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,951
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-15, 13:22

View Postjillybean, on 2011-November-15, 11:40, said:

I open 1♦ to minimise this problem.

This is a perennial topic for debate, but, if you open 1♦ and partner bids 1♥, your rebid is 1N, or 2♣? Both are profoundly flawed: the first means you have NEVER bid your AQJxx suit (and you have the problems about whether and when partner should commit to his major) and the second will be less than optimal should partner be stuck with something like 4=4=2=3 and an 8 or 9 count, on which the technically correct call is the false preference to 2♦ (not to mention the more common 4=5=2=2 weak hand)

As it is, on the OP, I would bid 2♠ for the reasons given by aguahombre.

And 3♦, logically, has to show extra values.....it forces partner to raise the level in order to return to clubs, so meets every definition of a reverse. While over a 1♠ overcall, bidding 2♦ in response to the negative double shows, imo, 'some extras', in this auction, in which we are bidding at the 3-level and partner has to take preference, when preference is needed, at the 4 level, 3♦ should show, again imo, 'substantial extras'.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,952
  • Joined: 2008-June-23
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-15, 14:09

View Postmikeh, on 2011-November-15, 13:22, said:

if you open 1♦ and partner bids 1♥, your rebid is 1N, or 2♣?


I've had a lot of lucky MP results bidding 1♠ on these auctions when the 4-3 fit plays very well. Started experimenting with it when I read that Meckwell invented support doubes because they were getting to too many 3-3 fits and I wondered how.

Much more danger of a foul split in this auction but I would still bid 2♠.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?
0

#9 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-November-15, 15:02

2♠. A bit uncomfortable doing so, but hopefully partner does not hang me. 3♦ shows extras, and 2N is natural.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-15, 17:08

I think a healthy style is to open 1♦ unless your clubs are a suit that can play opposite singleton.

I never though 3♦ showed extras, for me double shows 2 palces to play, and if partner doesn't have diamonds he will have long clubs to retreat
0

#11 User is offline   WellSpyder 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,627
  • Joined: 2009-November-30
  • Location:Oxfordshire, England

Posted 2011-November-16, 05:46

View PostFluffy, on 2011-November-15, 17:08, said:

I never though 3♦ showed extras, for me double shows 2 palces to play, and if partner doesn't have diamonds he will have long clubs to retreat

Similar questions have been discussed in the past, eg as in the OP but with a 1♥ overcall rather than 2♥. As I recall, all the Americans insist opener bidding ♦s shows extra values, many Europeans don't - I'm not sure about other parts of the world.
1

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-November-16, 08:16

View PostWellSpyder, on 2011-November-16, 05:46, said:

Similar questions have been discussed in the past, eg as in the OP but with a 1♥ overcall rather than 2♥. As I recall, all the Americans insist opener bidding ♦s shows extra values, many Europeans don't - I'm not sure about other parts of the world.

I believe the disagreement stems from terminology of the negative double itself. Even though it usually shows (or denies) the other major, it is not in the same category as other "takeout" doubles. Responsive doubles after partner's takeout double are similar, in that they don't really show the presence of two suits to play, but rather they show values to compete with no real suits.

People even use "takeout" to describe the general category of Support Doubles, Snapdragon Doubles, and others---they are probably right, but it is not right to advance these doubles in the same way one would respond to a traditional low-level initial takeout double such as we all learned in Bridge 101.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#13 User is offline   han 

  • Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,797
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 2011-November-16, 10:04

I play that this (negative) double shows spades.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar
0

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,951
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-16, 15:27

View PostWellSpyder, on 2011-November-16, 05:46, said:

Similar questions have been discussed in the past, eg as in the OP but with a 1♥ overcall rather than 2♥. As I recall, all the Americans insist opener bidding ♦s shows extra values, many Europeans don't - I'm not sure about other parts of the world.

I'm not an American, and in these parts, the standard meaning is that bidding diamonds shows extras. I'd be interested in the logic behind the idea that it need not, given that partner may hold a minimum with spades and a modest club fit.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-November-16, 15:30

View Postmikeh, on 2011-November-16, 15:27, said:

I'm not an American.

North American? Some of our Canadian neighbors get really bent out of shape when lumped in with us. Justifiably, IMO.

OTOH, we have some nerve unofficially calling our country America. We are only part of a huge land mass ---two continents; and one of our states is not part of that land mass.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-November-16, 15:44

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-16, 16:30

I tried 2♠ it came back like these:


1♣-( 2♥ )- X -(pass)
2♠-(pass)-4♠-(X)
??
0

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-November-16, 16:35

u bid, u rebid, partner placed the contract without further consulation. What could possibly be the question now?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,485
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2011-November-16, 18:24

View PostFluffy, on 2011-November-16, 16:30, said:

I tried 2♠ it came back like these:


1♣-( 2♥ )- X -(pass)
2♠-(pass)-4♠-(X)
??

I'm not unhappy yet.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#19 User is offline   shevek 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 707
  • Joined: 2006-September-29
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2011-November-16, 18:26

View Postmikeh, on 2011-November-16, 15:27, said:

I'm not an American, and in these parts, the standard meaning is that bidding diamonds shows extras. I'd be interested in the logic behind the idea that it need not, given that partner may hold a minimum with spades and a modest club fit.


Dealing with a 1♥ overcall is very different.
Some of us from South of the border respond 1♠ with spades.

For us, 1♣ - (1♥) - X

denies 4 ♠s & strongly suggests ♦s. Hence 2♦ by opener does not show extras.
Responder might have

♠Kx ♥Txx ♦Qxxxx ♣Kxx
1

#20 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,951
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-16, 18:44

View Postshevek, on 2011-November-16, 18:26, said:

Dealing with a 1♥ overcall is very different.
Some of us from South of the border respond 1♠ with spades.

For us, 1♣ - (1♥) - X

denies 4 ♠s & strongly suggests ♦s. Hence 2♦ by opener does not show extras.
Responder might have

♠Kx ♥Txx ♦Qxxxx ♣Kxx

I had intended to address the OP sequence, not the 1♥ sequence. FWIW, I prefer double of 1♥ as 5+ spades (but excluding some 6+ spade hands shown by 2♥) with 1♠ as the 'I have values to get involved but no descriptive bid' hand, which in practice always includes 4+ diamonds when partner bid 1♣ (can't raise clubs, lacks 4♠ and can't bid 1N).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users