bidding imps
#4
Posted 2011-October-19, 15:18
Fluffy, on 2011-October-19, 15:02, said:
I have a Pass card in my bidding box, how could it not be an option?
I think the 5-level is kinda scary being Red I'd pass with the given hand but partner's double is not for penalty.
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#5
Posted 2011-October-19, 21:43
Pass.
#6
Posted 2011-October-20, 01:10
Fluffy, on 2011-October-19, 15:02, said:
Pass is hell of an option, whether u choose it or not is another story.
It is very close call imo. But over the years i learnt that each time opponents bid 1M-4M and buy it, we are in their comfort zone. I would bid 5♣ and hope one of them is void in ♣ or pd is void in ♠ or it is the right call. And if not there is always a chance that opponents may bite it and make my wrong bid right. I cant disagree with passers though.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"
"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."
#7
Posted 2011-October-20, 01:36
MrAce, on 2011-October-20, 01:10, said:
It is very close call imo. But over the years i learnt that each time opponents bid 1M-4M and buy it, we are in their comfort zone. I would bid 5♣ and hope one of them is void in ♣ or pd is void in ♠ or it is the right call. And if not there is always a chance that opponents may bite it and make my wrong bid right. I cant disagree with passers though.
If partner were void in spades, would they not bid 4NT in preference to X?
#8
Posted 2011-October-20, 03:20
#9
Posted 2011-October-20, 04:56
I'm bidding 5C, aware that this could easily be wrong.
I don't understand 4NT, we have a good club fit.
- hrothgar
#10
Posted 2011-October-20, 05:15
#11
Posted 2011-October-20, 05:30
han, on 2011-October-20, 04:56, said:
I'm bidding 5C, aware that this could easily be wrong.
I don't understand 4NT, we have a good club fit.
4NT does not commit us to a red contract, IMO.
If partner has 1336 or even more clubs, he can safely bid 5♣ over 4NT because I can safely counter with 5♦, meaning -- no really, pick a red suit.
On the other hand, if partner in fact has a 4-card red suit, I think this might be a better strain. Clubs surely is safer, but a red suit makes more often, IMO.
-P.J. Painter.
#12
Posted 2011-October-20, 10:52
#13
Posted 2011-October-20, 13:49
If partner had 4♦/6♣, he might have opted 4NT himself. Double sounds somewhat like 4♥/6♣ is a possibility (especially as no ELC is possible). If he has that, give him a possible hand:
♠x ♥AKxx ♦xx ♣AKxxxx
Opposite that, 5♣ has no play. You just lose one in each suit, even with a 3-2 heart split.
But, what about 5♥? If you are fortunate enough to catch the person with long hearts (on a 3-2 split) also having long diamonds, which is likely going to be Opener, even a diamond lead does not stop 5♥. Plus, partner is allowed to have the heart Jack also.
So, if you are going to bid, 4NT seems right, IMO. The question is whether to bid or not.
-P.J. Painter.
#14
Posted 2011-October-20, 14:59
The thought of playing in a red suit makes me feel slightly ill. Doesn't the auction suggest bad breaks?
#15
Posted 2011-October-21, 00:15
1. Pard doesn't have enough to double the first time with the plan to bid later.
2. Pard has a good enough hand he feels the need to double later in order to protect our equity.
This strikes me as a rather narrow window: ♣ AK, ♥ AK and maybe ♦ K???? That hand will usually set 4♠ by about 2 tricks and counts to 10 tricks (more or less) off the top in 5♣ with decent prospects for an 11th trick somewhere. The decision does seem rather close between pass and 5♣. Kinda depends on the intangibles imo. Who are the opps, what is the state of the game, how does the table feel??? Given no input there I guess I would be inclined to pass but only by a little.
#16
Posted 2011-October-21, 13:41
However, since I never seem to learn from my mistakes, I would likely pass on this one too.
#17
Posted 2011-October-24, 07:23
I don't understand 4NT; it seems more likely to locate a bad fit than a good one.
At the other table South doubled first and felt obliged to bid 5C next, and ended in 6Cx.
I think 2C then double seems better (as long as your partner remembers to take out your take out doubles when holding a fit) as you still have the chance of defending opposite a misfit.
#18
Posted 2011-October-24, 09:32
The second is the double. 7-4 distribution strongly suggests to play usually. 4NT is clear to show 6C and 4+ side suit. 6C is also rather bad, partner may hold CQxxx and nothing else in this auction.
Still, 6C is not a bad contract.
gareth, on 2011-October-24, 07:23, said:
I don't understand 4NT; it seems more likely to locate a bad fit than a good one.
At the other table South doubled first and felt obliged to bid 5C next, and ended in 6Cx.
I think 2C then double seems better (as long as your partner remembers to take out your take out doubles when holding a fit) as you still have the chance of defending opposite a misfit.
#19
Posted 2011-October-24, 22:03
gareth, on 2011-October-24, 07:23, said:
I don't understand 4NT; it seems more likely to locate a bad fit than a good one.
At the other table South doubled first and felt obliged to bid 5C next, and ended in 6Cx.
I think 2C then double seems better (as long as your partner remembers to take out your take out doubles when holding a fit) as you still have the chance of defending opposite a misfit.
Nonsense. on this hand partner will bid 5C over 4NT. 4NT could easily locate a nice D fit.
I am glad to see that those who passed the double of 4S got what they deserved.

Help
