BBO Discussion Forums: Do you have to cooperate when partner cue bids? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you have to cooperate when partner cue bids? Is this a matter of style?

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-11, 23:14

Matchpoints, N/S vul

At this stage, I felt I bid my hand enough, and chose to retreat to 4. After the hand partner mentioned he didn't think I'm allowed or expected to express judgment in this situation, if I have an ace I have to show it. I'm wondering if this is right.
(We don't play serious/frivolous slam tries yet)

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-11, 23:57

A general answer is no, you don't have too. You should not participate when you can be certain from the auction to that point that no slam is possible. The answer on this hand is it would be criminal not to cue-bid the diamond ace. Exception would be if you play something like precision so partner's 1 was limited, and even then I would be worried because if partner could hold a hand like this on this auction: AKxxxx - xx AKxxx (assumption 4 was "cue-bid") you have grand slam if clubs behave.

Note on this hand, your partner's four club cue-bid was not made because you might have a good hand. He knows you passed initially. He clearly has slam ambitions. This is why on this auction, it would be criminal if you refused to cue-bid in response.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 00:10

Interesting, thanks. I was sure I read somewhere cue-bidding in response shows not only a control but also some interest in slam.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-September-12, 02:22

View PostAntrax, on 2011-September-12, 00:10, said:

Interesting, thanks. I was sure I read somewhere cue-bidding in response shows not only a control but also some interest in slam.

Well - the question is, what does "some interest in slam" mean, inquiry's response phrased differently:

You should cue bid, if you cant be certain, that slam is impossible.
So you make a cue, if slam is still a valid possibility, and if you think slam is still a valid
possibility, you have some interest in slam.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   farrnbach 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-September-12, 02:34

We play it as

"partner asks" -> "I answer honestly"

So here definitely a 4D cue bid, a real issue comes up if I must advance over the 4M border with a extremly marginal hand

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-September-12, 03:40

View PostAntrax, on 2011-September-11, 23:14, said:

Matchpoints, N/S vul

At this stage, I felt I bid my hand enough, and chose to retreat to 4. After the hand partner mentioned he didn't think I'm allowed or expected to express judgment in this situation, if I have an ace I have to show it. I'm wondering if this is right.
(We don't play serious/frivolous slam tries yet)

Absolutely cue 4D on this hand. Your partner has seen the bidding as well; don't you trust her?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 04:12

It is a common misjudgement for B/I players (plus some advanced and expert players) to overbid good hands and underbid weak ones. It is all about bidding the hand in context.

As others have said, this is not a great hand and is probably minimum for the two clubs response. If partner had followed up with natural three clubs then I think three spades would have been a good call.

But partner has shown distinct slam interest with four clubs and, in this context, an ace is an important card. So four diamonds is clear.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 04:30

Basically if partner is unlimited and you can co-operate without going above game you should.

#9 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 04:31

Partner didn't show four clubs, but he did show SI and A/K clubs.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 04:44

View PostAntrax, on 2011-September-12, 00:10, said:

Depends. You will never cuebid if you have no interest in slam at all - in that case you just sign off in game.

Here, you have indicated your range quite accurately by not opening and then showing a maximum pass by using Drury. So in this case partner must have slam interest, knowing that you don't have opening values. This means you have to cooperate.

But if you were not a passed hand you might wonder if partner, by his cuebid, was saying:
- that he has slam interest in case you have substantial extras (so he only wants you to cooperate in that case), or
- that he has slam interest even if you are minimum so you must cooperate regardless.

This makes slam bidding difficult in situation where the bidding reaches the 4-level while both partners have a wide range. There are conventions such as Last Train and (non)Serious 3NT that can help but they are prone to misunderstanding and also claim bids that you might want to use for other purposes.

So try to avoid situations in which both partners have a wide range at the 4-level:
- make agreements about what strengths are shown by jumps
- when your main concern is partner's general strength rather than whether he can cue a particular suit and has enough keycards, consider a quantitative slam try instead of cuebidding and RKC.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users