BBO Discussion Forums: Another simple percentage question - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another simple percentage question Finesse or 3-3+doubleton honors

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-November-23, 05:36

The lead was the J which went to my Queen. I thought there were two lines, duck a spade or use the spade entries for finesses in hearts. Somehow you know the defense will set up another trick for you in diamonds, so what is better?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-November-23, 06:58

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-November-23, 05:36, said:

The lead was the J which went to my Queen. I thought there were two lines, duck a spade or use the spade entries for finesses in hearts. Somehow you know the defense will set up another trick for you in diamonds, so what is better?
IMO Q, K, finessse 9, hoping that an opponent wins A. Playing on , instead, risks a suicide squeeze.

#3 User is offline   jukmoi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-23, 07:11

I would rather run the 10. Opponents might duck 9. Now you run the risk of losing 2, 2 and A even with hearts right all the time.

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-23, 08:33

If you think the defense is going to set up another for you why don't you just play from your hand?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-November-23, 09:21

View Postpooltuna, on 2010-November-23, 08:33, said:

If you think the defense is going to set up another for you why don't you just play from your hand?

My thoughts exactly...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2010-November-23, 10:45

View Postpooltuna, on 2010-November-23, 08:33, said:

View PostFree, on 2010-November-23, 09:21, said:

My thoughts exactly...

Are you guys not the least bit worried that East has five or six diamonds given the diamond jack opening lead? If so, they will win 3 and 2 before you can get your nine tricks.

A second concern is the bidding. How do you end up in 3NT with no spade fit, and an absolute minimum 1NT overcall on this auction?

What are E-W hands? Surely West is Jx, and East has AKxxx. You have 23 hcp between your two hands, and West had at least one. That is 24, that leaves 16 hcp unaccounted for. West can not have a king, the question is would East have an opening hand without the Ace? Without the ACE, his hand would be something like this (side suit distributions, still unknown).

I would play East for the heart ACE. This does not, however simplify the hand. :(

--Ben--

#7 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2010-November-23, 13:48

Bidding a tough 3NT, wtp?

Play: Crossing to a spade and playing the 10 seems like another wtp?, but I might be missing something?

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#8 User is offline   ceeb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-23, 14:42

When the problem poser stipulates that the defense will be slapdash ("Somehow you know ... another trick in diamonds"), I think we can take it that "simple percentage" is ironic.

The best legitimate line seems to me to be to duck a spade. Spades could be 3-3 and finding another red trick probably isn't hard. Assuming diamonds 2-5 and assuming RHO has about enough high cards to open, I figure the spade break or QJ alone is 42% and requiring the A onside leaves at least 35% overall chance of success.

Playing on hearts works if RHO AQ(x) onside -- around 25%. Just two honors onside is about 42%, but unless they are short there will be trouble. The problem is how the play goes when RHO has AQxx,AKxxx if you win the , cross in and lead the 10. RHO may take the A and play a spade. Now a finesse and then what? If RHO is 3451, you are down. If RHO is 2452 you can strip RHO's black cards and endplay but this requires guessing that RHO isn't 3352.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2010-November-23, 17:49

View Postjukmoi, on 2010-November-23, 07:11, said:

would rather run the 10. Opponents might duck 9. Now you run the risk of losing 2, 2 and A even with hearts right all the time.
Yes leading the ten seems best and gives you reasonable legitimate chances even against 4-2 major breaks.
But ducking a is reasonable too.

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-November-23, 18:20

If you're going to play for spades 3-3, you should cash two clubs before ducking the spade. Then if they play a spade back you can throw a club on the last spade, reaching this position:

When you can cash the last club from dummy you abandon the the same suit as RHO, then lead the other suit. It doesn't help RHO to have cashed a diamond earlier before playing the spade back.

(All this assumes that RHO has A.)
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2010-November-24, 18:49

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-November-23, 05:36, said:

Assuming you can't rely on Kamikaze defence, I like a variation of Gnasher's improvement. Cash AKQ immediately after winning Q. Not a good idea if RHO has four or more clubs :( but otherwise this may help you to decide which line to take :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users