BBO Discussion Forums: Eh, I'm in a pickle. - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eh, I'm in a pickle.

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,022
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Yesterday, 15:39


“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#2 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 15:58

4S over three clubs
Yes pard may have perfect cards for 6

Next deal
0

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,022
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Yesterday, 16:12

I’d bid 4S when I’ve opened on AKxxx,KJxx,xx,xx
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#4 User is online   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,470
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 17:10

If 3♥ is a control-bid then 4♣, what else?
0

#5 User is offline   akwoo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,785
  • Joined: 2010-November-21

Posted Yesterday, 18:15

View Postjillybean, on 2026-October-09, 16:12, said:

I’d bid 4S when I’ve opened on AKxxx,KJxx,xx,xx


Really? Why would you expect 4S to have any hope when partner has 7-9 with 4 card support? Qxxx Qx Axxx xxx is a very good fitting hand for partner to have, and 4S is still hopeless.

I'd have bid 4S over 3C.
0

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,022
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Yesterday, 18:53

View Postakwoo, on 2026-October-09, 18:15, said:

Really? Why would you expect 4S to have any hope when partner has 7-9 with 4 card support? Qxxx Qx Axxx xxx is a very good fitting hand for partner to have, and 4S is still hopeless.

I'd have bid 4S over 3C.

Yeah, I was being flippant but this hand is too good for a jump to 4♠


“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#7 User is online   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Yesterday, 19:56

I struggle with these Bergen point counts as descriptions because they fail to describe playing strength. This may explain why so many are sceptical of their use.
Here it looks like each player has a shortage and I'm not sure what North's red suit bids are meant to mean.
All I can say is that with 4.5 mod. losers opposite what should be a max. 8.5 (and the two red suit bids) I'd call 6♠
0

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,785
  • Joined: 2010-November-21

Posted Yesterday, 20:13

I really hate that 3H was a cue rather than pattern. But, in this case, partner has a diamond shortness, and I'm not going to play them for 2 shortnesses, so I can make another control bid with 4H.

I'm really hoping partner has the perfecto Kxxx AQx x xxxxx because that's what it takes for 6 to be a good proposition. (And stop with the loser count stuff - start imagining what you need from partner.) Hopefully the heart control bid will put them on the right track, but I don't see how they tell the difference between your hand and the same hand with rounded suits switched. OTOH, I don't see any other way of trying to get partner to tell you if they have 3rd round control of hearts or not.
0

#9 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 20:19

 mw64ahw, on 2026-October-09, 19:56, said:

I struggle with these Bergen point counts as descriptions because they fail to describe playing strength. This may explain why so many are sceptical of their use.
Here it looks like each player has a shortage and I'm not sure what North's red suit bids are meant to mean.
All I can say is that with 4.5 mod. losers opposite what should be a max. 8.5 (and the two red suit bids) I'd call 6♠


In Bergen 3C shows probably 9 to 9,5 loser hand.
Again 8,5 loser and QH and KS are playing partner for perfect cards
0

#10 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 20:21

 akwoo, on 2026-October-09, 20:13, said:

I really hate that 3H was a cue rather than pattern. But, in this case, partner has a diamond shortness, and I'm not going to play them for 2 shortnesses, so I can make another control bid with 4H.

I'm really hoping partner has the perfecto Kxxx AQx x xxxxx because that's what it takes for 6 to be a good proposition. (And stop with the loser count stuff - start imagining what you need from partner.) Hopefully the heart control bid will put them on the right track, but I don't see how they tell the difference between your hand and the same hand with rounded suits switched. OTOH, I don't see any other way of trying to get partner to tell you if they have 3rd round control of hearts or not.


No

Partner has denied this, not close at all.
Playing Bergen raises this is a gf splinter

Playing Bergen raises you can show the specific D Stiff.

1S-3H!
3S!-4D!
Stiff d 4 spades, 7 loser hand

This is Bergen

_-------

If you prefer opener can just go straight to cuebidding and not ask, your judgement

Remember gf after artificial 3H.
0

#11 User is online   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Today, 00:01

View Postmike777, on 2026-October-09, 20:19, said:

In Bergen 3C shows probably 9 to 9,5 loser hand.
Again 8,5 loser and QH and KS are playing partner for perfect cards

I thought when I last looked at it the examples had max. 8.5 mod. losers & maybe higher LTC.
0

#12 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 00:02

 mw64ahw, on 2026-October-10, 00:01, said:

I thought when I last looked at it the examples had max. 8.5 mod. losers & maybe higher LTC.

Nope
An 8.5 loser 3C bid is definitely the very best possible hand.

Kxxx...Axx..xx....xxxx
Kxxx...Ax...xxx....xxxx

8.5 adjusted LTC
0

#13 User is online   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Today, 00:26

View Postmike777, on 2026-October-10, 00:02, said:

Nope
An 8.5 loser 3C bid is definitely the very best possible hand.

Kxxx...Axx..xx....xxxx
Kxxx...Ax...xxx....xxxx

8.5 adjusted LTC

I don't think these type of balanced hands fit well with 3-level bids.
0

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,959
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted Today, 00:54

If he has the spade king and heart ace, slam will often be good. Some 4414 would be bad, and 4513 worse but surely 4315 is most likely simply on our shape? But I don’t think 4=3=1=5 is more than 50%…feel free to correct me…I didn’t try to calculate it. So I won’t keycard since I won’t know what to do over the answer I want to hear…5H. I’ve made two slam tries already. 3D might have been a game try, as I play it, but I’d not have bid 4C if 3D was merely a game try.

I’m worth one more: 4H.

Then it’s up to partner.

Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve helped him much. Back some years ago it was popular in some circles to play the first cuebid, in a slammish auction, ideally showed a source of tricks as well as a control. But I don’t personally know anyone who plays that style. So partner doesn’t know anything useful, to him, about my hand.

Having said that, I think he will often bid on with hands that offer reasonable play for slam….and maybe we can still stop below 6S.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#15 User is online   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,723
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted Today, 01:11

I wonder what 4♣ over 3♣ would’ve been. It’s hard to believe a slam try with no red suit control. If it’s a splinter that would be a good way to describe this hand that might help partner more than cuebidding.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,022
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Today, 07:19



Partner did have that magic 4315 hand. We did make 6 but didn’t bid it.
I know I have a heck of a long way to go with hand evaluation and in particular, constructing partner’s hand but I’m happy to be thinking slam here.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#17 User is online   WasWinM 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 470
  • Joined: 2025-April-24
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:varied

Posted Today, 07:32

View Postjillybean, on 2026-October-09, 16:12, said:

I’d bid 4S when I’ve opened on AKxxx,KJxx,xx,xx

Do you also spend a lot of time in casinos? ;)
0

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,022
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Today, 07:37

View PostWasWinM, on 2026-October-10, 07:32, said:

Do you also spend a lot of time in casinos? ;)

Definitely some, but thankfully not a lot. I quickly realized this wasn't going to be a winning proposition for me.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#19 User is online   WasWinM 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 470
  • Joined: 2025-April-24
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:varied

Posted Today, 07:38

View Postjillybean, on 2026-October-10, 07:19, said:



Partner did have that magic 4315 hand. We did make 6 but didn’t bid it.
I know I have a heck of a long way to go with hand evaluation and in particular, constructing partner’s hand but I’m happy to be thinking slam here.

Bob Hamman is claimed to have once said, If you need me to have one card for slam, I never have it, or something along those lines.
0

#20 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 07:39

Fwiw JB I would bid a Bergen 3D, limit raise. I don't think it is close.
Whatever your preferred way of showing a 4 card limit raise, do it
For me using Adjusted Losing Trick Count it is easily a limit raise.

Using the more sophisticated hand building techniques I think you can come up with a lot of hands you want partner to bid game, so make the limit raise.

---------

After the limit raise, partner will definitely look for the slam.

-------

I would only add perhaps consider moving away from only looking at your HCP (7-9)
And using other valuation models.

Of course visualizing and hand building partners possible hands during the bidding is always the ultimate learning goal for us.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users