Eh, I'm in a pickle.
#1
Posted Yesterday, 15:39
Bridge should be fun!
#3
Posted Yesterday, 16:12
Bridge should be fun!
#6
Posted Yesterday, 18:53
akwoo, on 2026-October-09, 18:15, said:
I'd have bid 4S over 3C.
Yeah, I was being flippant but this hand is too good for a jump to 4♠
Bridge should be fun!
#7
Posted Yesterday, 19:56
Here it looks like each player has a shortage and I'm not sure what North's red suit bids are meant to mean.
All I can say is that with 4.5 mod. losers opposite what should be a max. 8.5 (and the two red suit bids) I'd call 6♠
#8
Posted Yesterday, 20:13
I'm really hoping partner has the perfecto Kxxx AQx x xxxxx because that's what it takes for 6 to be a good proposition. (And stop with the loser count stuff - start imagining what you need from partner.) Hopefully the heart control bid will put them on the right track, but I don't see how they tell the difference between your hand and the same hand with rounded suits switched. OTOH, I don't see any other way of trying to get partner to tell you if they have 3rd round control of hearts or not.
#9
Posted Yesterday, 20:19
mw64ahw, on 2026-October-09, 19:56, said:
Here it looks like each player has a shortage and I'm not sure what North's red suit bids are meant to mean.
All I can say is that with 4.5 mod. losers opposite what should be a max. 8.5 (and the two red suit bids) I'd call 6♠
In Bergen 3C shows probably 9 to 9,5 loser hand.
Again 8,5 loser and QH and KS are playing partner for perfect cards
#10
Posted Yesterday, 20:21
akwoo, on 2026-October-09, 20:13, said:
I'm really hoping partner has the perfecto Kxxx AQx x xxxxx because that's what it takes for 6 to be a good proposition. (And stop with the loser count stuff - start imagining what you need from partner.) Hopefully the heart control bid will put them on the right track, but I don't see how they tell the difference between your hand and the same hand with rounded suits switched. OTOH, I don't see any other way of trying to get partner to tell you if they have 3rd round control of hearts or not.
No
Partner has denied this, not close at all.
Playing Bergen raises this is a gf splinter
Playing Bergen raises you can show the specific D Stiff.
1S-3H!
3S!-4D!
Stiff d 4 spades, 7 loser hand
This is Bergen
_-------
If you prefer opener can just go straight to cuebidding and not ask, your judgement
Remember gf after artificial 3H.
#14
Posted Today, 00:54
I’m worth one more: 4H.
Then it’s up to partner.
Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve helped him much. Back some years ago it was popular in some circles to play the first cuebid, in a slammish auction, ideally showed a source of tricks as well as a control. But I don’t personally know anyone who plays that style. So partner doesn’t know anything useful, to him, about my hand.
Having said that, I think he will often bid on with hands that offer reasonable play for slam….and maybe we can still stop below 6S.
#15
Posted Today, 01:11
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#16
Posted Today, 07:19
Partner did have that magic 4315 hand. We did make 6 but didn’t bid it.
I know I have a heck of a long way to go with hand evaluation and in particular, constructing partner’s hand but I’m happy to be thinking slam here.
Bridge should be fun!
#18
Posted Today, 07:37
WasWinM, on 2026-October-10, 07:32, said:
Definitely some, but thankfully not a lot. I quickly realized this wasn't going to be a winning proposition for me.
Bridge should be fun!
#19
Posted Today, 07:38
jillybean, on 2026-October-10, 07:19, said:
Partner did have that magic 4315 hand. We did make 6 but didn’t bid it.
I know I have a heck of a long way to go with hand evaluation and in particular, constructing partner’s hand but I’m happy to be thinking slam here.
Bob Hamman is claimed to have once said, If you need me to have one card for slam, I never have it, or something along those lines.
#20
Posted Today, 07:39
Whatever your preferred way of showing a 4 card limit raise, do it
For me using Adjusted Losing Trick Count it is easily a limit raise.
Using the more sophisticated hand building techniques I think you can come up with a lot of hands you want partner to bid game, so make the limit raise.
---------
After the limit raise, partner will definitely look for the slam.
-------
I would only add perhaps consider moving away from only looking at your HCP (7-9)
And using other valuation models.
Of course visualizing and hand building partners possible hands during the bidding is always the ultimate learning goal for us.

Help
