BBO Discussion Forums: Caught in the headlights - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Caught in the headlights Tricky judgement

#21 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2026-October-08, 19:37


The above was possibly the common approach with only two of the five tables (IMPS) in 4♥. A step further from South?

I like the 'Ekren' auction, which I play with my regular partner. Now after partner's 3♦, 4♣ typically shows the extreme shape and gives North a slam try option.
0

#22 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2026-October-08, 19:39

View Postfred, on 2026-October-08, 17:55, said:

It's another 3NT opening bid.

Definitely one use for 3N, but too obscure for the local club.
0

#23 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,022
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-October-08, 19:41

Yes! 3nt

View Postfred, on 2025-June-22, 15:28, said:

I like to play a 3NT opening shows a hand like this (a preempt with at least 6-5 in the majors - obviously, as with all preempts, the vulnerability matters).

I invented (or, more likely, unknowingly reinvented) this convention about 25 years ago.

Doesn't come up very often of course, but it seemed to work better than any of the alternatives for 3NT openings that I have tried over the years. Admittedly it is hard to be objective about such things and I certainly have not made any real effort to keep track of the results.

You need to play reasonable methods over this for it to be workable. If anyone is interested, I will post what we came up with. I might not be able to do so immediately as I am in the middle of playing in a serious tournament.

It is a fun convention to play which, for me at least, is a nice plus :)


It would help me remember this if I had a partner who was willing to add it to the card...anyone? :)
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#24 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 15:20

Really wish you can post full deal and results at other tables ty
0

#25 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Yesterday, 19:48

And here it rested with 3x5♥ & 2x4♥ all making 6.
I had been close to calling 6♥ mainly because 4♥ was such a rare bid for this player. I wondered if a potential 6♣ sacrifice would have garnered the slam.

0

#26 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 20:13

Hmm

Would have over called 1NT

I thought something was off when I passed out 2C, smile
0

#27 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Yesterday, 23:57

View Postmike777, on 2026-October-09, 20:13, said:

Hmm

Would have over called 1NT

I thought something was off when I passed out 2C, smile

Certainly an option I'd consider, but don't think it happened on this occasion.
0

#28 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 00:25

 mw64ahw, on 2026-October-09, 23:57, said:

Certainly an option I'd consider, but don't think it happened on this occasion.



Thanks, certainly a fun and interesting deal

Been toying with something Swedish player Peter Fredin mentioned..

Not sure this hand was what he meant, I was curious to test it out . anyway...
0

#29 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Today, 03:05

View Postmike777, on 2026-October-10, 00:25, said:

Thanks, certainly a fun and interesting deal

Been toying with something Swedish player Peter Fredin mentioned..

Not sure this hand was what he meant, I was curious to test it out . anyway...

Yep I've rejigged my preempts to incorporate the 3N bid (3♠ being the solid minor), but have yet to implement with my regular partners.



0

#30 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Today, 09:41

 mw64ahw, on 2026-October-09, 23:57, said:

Certainly an option I'd consider, but don't think it happened on this occasion.


I would consider not over calling 1NT a clear error. Shocking no one in the entire field bid it.

-----

Mr. Fredin is actually talking about something else. Psychology ,
Not a convention.
Not sure I have a firm grasp of the hand type. This example seems too
extreme to even worry about but did want to experiment with passing...thanks for posting .


For me turns out partners boring, flat, hand was the most challenging on this ..
Smile
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users