BBO Discussion Forums: Penalising infringements of Best Behaviour at Bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Penalising infringements of Best Behaviour at Bridge law 74 does not specify penalties

#1 User is offline   mark249 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2026-October-03

Posted 2026-October-03, 06:21

I suspect this topic has been aired before.

The EBU promotes ‘Best Behaviour at Bridge’
Law 74 is clear on what is not allowed
However neither specifies what is the penalty for infringement.

We have discussed in committee how to help curb one players persistent derogatory comments about other’s play.
I realised our policy puts all the onus on the injured party. Our disciplinary process requires them lodge a written complaint.
At the time the person affected ‘freezes’ and in an able to act; they later feels aggrieved / ashamed.
The comments are heard by others at the table but they don’t react either - this has been mis-labelled as ‘spectator apathy’ - it is also freeze.
Finally if called as a TD, I would be unsure of my powers.

Has anyone looked at changing the onus on the offender?
Anyone overhearing derogatory remarks is expected to call the TD.
The TD if called is expected to give an A+ / A- for that board.
The person judged at fault is allowed to appeal afterwards …

Apologies if the subject has been done exhaustively on the past but I think a change is overdue,
0

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,062
  • Joined: 2006-April-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 2026-October-03, 07:34

You should be giving score adjustments when a contestant commits an infraction that affects the score. You should be giving Procedural Penalties when the particular infraction calls for them. See the Introduction to the Laws and Law 90. When a player does something that affects "good order and discipline", such as the derogatory comments you mention, you should give a Disciplinary Penalty (Law 91). I don't remember if the White Book gives guidance on Disciplinary Penalties -- I recommend you check it out. Note that Disciplinary Penalties cannot be overturned by an Appeals Committee (Law 93B3).

Absent any guidance in the White Book, I would start with 25% of a top. I once heard a club director here (she wasn't at my table) in Rochester NY suspend a player for thirty days for being abusive first to his partner, then to his opponents, and then to the director. She was backed up by the club owner. When the player returned a month later, he was and remained very well behaved.

The ACBL's Zero Tolerance Policy says that an announcement should be made at the beginning of any session where the policy is in effect stating that it is in effect and the if a player violates the policy the director should please be called. If the director determines that a violation has occurred he shall assign a 1/4 board disciplinary penalty to all players in violation, no matter who started it.

A policy that has no teeth is useless. And the onus to call the director should never be on the victim.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
0

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-October-03, 08:11

The Director has both power and liberty in this case. But I doubt he will often have power to suspend a player outside of the event in course.

Certainly not here in Italy, any such suspension is decided by the RA after a hearing initiated by Director's report.

As I understand it, EBU has ethics committees with teeth both at club and national level.
0

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,062
  • Joined: 2006-April-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 2026-October-03, 08:30

ACBL clubs can effectively do pretty much whatever they want.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
0

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-October-03, 14:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2026-October-03, 08:30, said:

ACBL clubs can effectively do pretty much whatever they want.


But is it common to empower the Director to decide what happens to a player for the next few months?
If so that is very different from the role of Director over here (and excessive, IMO).
0

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,062
  • Joined: 2006-April-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 2026-October-03, 17:40

View Postpescetom, on 2026-October-03, 14:54, said:

But is it common to empower the Director to decide what happens to a player for the next few months?
If so that is very different from the role of Director over here (and excessive, IMO).

It wasn't "a few" months, it was one month, and from a director who never gave procedural, much less disciplinary penalties. She was once called to our table by an opponent, who point-blank accused me of cheating. When I said I didn't appreciate that, her response was "we're just gonna let that slide". In the nearly 30 years I watched her direct here, the 30 day expulsion was the only penalty of any kind I ever saw her give. And I may be mis-remembering, since I wasn't at or even close to that table -- possibly she just sent him home for that day, and when she reported that to the club owner, he suspended him for thirty days. If so, I'm pretty sure she'd have done the same thing in her own club.

As for common, I don't have enough data to answer that. I will say that this one incident is the only one I can remember where the director ejected the player. In fact I think it's the only zero-tolerance case in a club I've seen.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
0

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 13:04

 blackshoe, on 2026-October-03, 17:40, said:

It wasn't "a few" months, it was one month, and from a director who never gave procedural, much less disciplinary penalties. She was once called to our table by an opponent, who point-blank accused me of cheating. When I said I didn't appreciate that, her response was "we're just gonna let that slide". In the nearly 30 years I watched her direct here, the 30 day expulsion was the only penalty of any kind I ever saw her give. And I may be mis-remembering, since I wasn't at or even close to that table -- possibly she just sent him home for that day, and when she reported that to the club owner, he suspended him for thirty days. If so, I'm pretty sure she'd have done the same thing in her own club.

As for common, I don't have enough data to answer that. I will say that this one incident is the only one I can remember where the director ejected the player. In fact I think it's the only zero-tolerance case in a club I've seen.

Fair enough, just curious.
I imagine and hope it was at least the club deciding, I don't want that kind of power as a Director.

I give plenty of penalties for all sorts of wrongdoings, the last just an hour ago for a trivial card left on the floor. But I cannot go beyond disqualifying from my tournament and even that requires consensus of the organizer.
In a situation of similar gravity to that you describe I have reported players to the RA which can disqualify for months.
0

#8 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 22,167
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 17:59

View Postpescetom, on 2026-October-03, 14:54, said:

But is it common to empower the Director to decide what happens to a player for the next few months?
If so that is very different from the role of Director over here (and excessive, IMO).

In many cases the Director is also the club owner, or is delegated oversight power by the owner.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. axman