The dark side of gibbous
#21
Posted Yesterday, 05:39
Alternatively 4♥, again odd KCs with ♥ control. Now bypassing 4N by either player denies the ♦ control playing Kickbo rather than Kickback.
#22
Posted Yesterday, 08:41
MP
I am playing kickback over majors with only 1 partner.
Bridge should be fun!
#23
Posted Yesterday, 11:03
mw64ahw, on 2026-September-29, 05:39, said:
I too would prefer to use advance control-bids here in a better partnership. But that needs detailed discussion and practice, for instance does South bid 4♥ to affirm control after already bidding 3♥ that could have been a stopper for NT? Without such discussion the 4♣ bid is simple and clear.
mw64ahw, on 2026-September-29, 05:39, said:
Fair enough.
I proposed this sequence in an attempt to avoid revealing both hands, which spoils things in many ways. But there is only one obvious continuation by South which Jillybean already provided and you are right that it is unreasonable to straight jacket the discussion into one set of methods, so let's roll back to North's bid instead.
MP
Your preferred bid as North?
#24
Posted Yesterday, 11:42
I definitely want to be asking for keycards. But if partner has a third spade I want to be asking in spades, not clubs.
My preferred approach would be to bid 3D, asking partner to bid 3S with a 3rd spade. But if partner doesn't have a 3rd spade, I probably don't have a way to set clubs and ask for keycards.
Given that, I would hope immediately bidding 4D is kickback, or that immediately bidding 4C is minorwood.
#25
Posted Yesterday, 12:29
pescetom, on 2026-September-29, 11:03, said:
Fair enough.
I proposed this sequence in an attempt to avoid revealing both hands, which spoils things in many ways. But there is only one obvious continuation by South which Jillybean already provided and you are right that it is unreasonable to straight jacket the discussion into one set of methods, so let's roll back to North's bid instead.
MP
Your preferred bid as North?
4D kickback why? South has limited their hand
6C option2
#26
Posted Yesterday, 14:16
I guess I could stumble into 6♣ via 3♦ with a non-regular partner, but playing TW I'd find the double fit and then have a tricky choice between ♠ & ♣.
#27
Posted Yesterday, 14:56
jillybean, on 2026-September-29, 08:41, said:
I think it is really useful over clubs, where 4NT makes no sense and it is relatively easy to disambiguate 4♦ as an ask.
I can live without it over diamonds (except in some conventions) and would not dream of playing it over hearts.
jillybean, on 2026-September-29, 08:41, said:
MP
So how does it continue now you see both hands?
#28
Posted Yesterday, 18:02
pescetom, on 2026-September-29, 14:56, said:
So how does it continue now you see both hands?
I think we would stop in 5
I agree, KB is useful over clubs, we just don't have it.
Bridge should be fun!
#29
Posted Today, 00:28
mike777, on 2026-September-29, 12:29, said:
6C option2
Ridiculous comment, partner could have A, Axx, Axx, Axxxxx or A, KQx, Kxx, AQxxxx
It's difficult to be objective seeing both hands.
We would start 1♣(4+)-1♠-1N (15-bad 19) then there are choices.
Do you want to GF opposite a 2434 15 count ? is the basis for the decision.
#30
Posted Today, 02:08
jillybean, on 2026-September-29, 18:02, said:
To proceed rationally I think you need to have agreed that 4♠ in this situation shows diamonds control and says nothing about spades control. Otherwise you would be stuck when North holds diamonds control but no spades control, even if South was to hold spades AK.
jillybean, on 2026-September-29, 18:02, said:
I agree, KB is useful over clubs, we just don't have it.
All it takes is a few lines of meta rules about when 4♦ is RKCB for clubs (and when if ever 4NT is).
Plus of course a partner sufficiently flexible to get the follow ups (not just the initial reply, but Q and K stuff too) right with an asking strain different from NT.

Help
