BBO Discussion Forums: We couldn't find our heart fit - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We couldn't find our heart fit Robot didn't rebid its 6-card H

#1 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 720
  • Joined: 2008-November-20
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2025-March-09, 15:49



After 3NT, I had slam interest but didn't know what to bid, and I lied a ♣ to bid 4♣. 4♥ would be a sign off, 4♠ also, and 4NT would show 19-20 HCP, so I couldn't find a bid to describe my hand. The robot raised with 2 card only, which would imply he thought that I had 6-6 as I opened 1♠!

If the robot bid 3♥ instead of 3NT in the second round I would have bid RKCB 4NT to seek a ♥ slam.

Of course our 5♣ was doomed. A lot of tables did make 6♥ or 6NT, but none involved a 3♣ rebid by South. Some lied a 2NT opening which was followed by a Texas transfer, others started with 1♠ and followed by either a lie of 2NT or 3NT (which denied 4 ♣) where the robot removed to ♥, but it didn't attempt to rebid ♥ if the opener rebid 3♣?

https://www.bridgeba...name=mikl_plkcc

What was wrong with my auction that resulted in total disaster?
0

#2 User is offline   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,715
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2025-March-09, 16:11

While I don't like either of the robot's 2nd or 3rd calls, there's not much you can do about that.

The 4♣ bid is not a very good choice. It should show more distribution, 5-5 or 6-5 in the black suits. With a relatively balanced hand, 4nt would be a better choice. It sounds like there is no fit (partner could not raise either of your suits and did not rebid 3♥) so the hand is mostly about whether you can make 6nt. You have a very prime 18 (aces, kings, tens) so I think it's worth the try.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
1

#3 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 720
  • Joined: 2008-November-20
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2025-March-09, 16:50

View Postawm, on 2025-March-09, 16:11, said:

While I don't like either of the robot's 2nd or 3rd calls, there's not much you can do about that.

The 4♣ bid is not a very good choice. It should show more distribution, 5-5 or 6-5 in the black suits. With a relatively balanced hand, 4nt would be a better choice. It sounds like there is no fit (partner could not raise either of your suits and did not rebid 3♥) so the hand is mostly about whether you can make 6nt. You have a very prime 18 (aces, kings, tens) so I think it's worth the try.

Thanks. My judgement was wrong, the hand was actually worth 19 but I forgot to apply my usual upgrade.

The tables bidding 4NT with the same starting sequence 1♠ - 2♥ - 3♣ - 3NT ended up playing it as the robot didn't raise to 6.
0

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,731
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2025-March-09, 22:20

Pretty much everything seems messed up here for GIB.

I was going to say I would have been tempted by 2NT initially given the semi-balanced nature, to allow more space to explore.. but GIB thinks that's 11-14 HCP :( In fact, to GIB a rebid of 2NT after a 2/1 is totally non-existent.

And after 3♣ and GIB is not even close to having a reasonable way of handling high reverses. Though I suspect a decent number of club players wouldn't have good agreements of how to squeeze everything you need to communicate in either. I'm somewhat surprised it didn't bid 3♦; it plays that as natural, and that's what a much older version of GIB chooses. I guess they changed that at some point to prefer showing the stopper, at the cost of never rebidding its major..

Perhaps given the limitations of GIB, a leap to 3NT would have worked out best after all, since it will always correct to 4♥ with a 6 card suit after which you can take control, and given it's described as 17-20 it may bid on otherwise with extras, at the cost of never finding a possible club slam.
I have nothing worth contributing, bye
0

#5 User is offline   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,473
  • Joined: 2008-September-10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2025-March-10, 17:45

Good bidding by GIB to get to game. Unlucky that game doesn't make due to the bad club split.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users