• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-October-12, 04:21

EAst dealer. i bid 2s in sud.

Tell me the sequel

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2024-October-12, 05:46

North has 4 modified losers and needs South to be max. i.e. <=8.5 modified losers for a slam to be on, but what contract?
I can create an auction that arrives in 6, but whether this happens at the table is another matter.
The auction below focuses on given North has a greater keycard count in s. A switch to later can be made if K is shown
2 - 2N asking for shape/strength?
3 4+m max - 3 which minor?
3 s - 4 1430
4 1 keycard - 4N Kings? and in the process showing Q by skipping the Q ask?
5 None - 6

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-12, 07:31

I don't know how good 6 is on a spade or trump lead, I could get there playing what I used to play where we would bid a long suit over 2-2N.

I would open the E, S and W hands, many wouldn't so putting a standard auction together would be difficult.

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-October-12, 07:46

It’s good to see N/Bs are not restricted to the same set of preempt “rules” I adhered to.

2S - 2N are you playing Ogust or feature ask? This was a Q. for cencio
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#5 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-12, 08:13

Neither for me - playing a third option that I picked up/developed a couple of months ago. I may have posted before, but here is the shortened version
3 6(331) or (62)(32) max
.. 3 Shortage?
.... 3 or (62)(32)
...... 3 concern about for 3N
.... 3
.... 3N oM
3 4+m max
.. 3 Which?
.... 3
.... 3N
3M min
3oM 4oM max
3N (63)22 max

#6 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-12, 10:18

I think no partnerships would get to 6. The main question is whether you stop in 4 or 6, and if the latter, whether there will be shouting after the board.
Personally I dislike jumping on slam hands, so I would begin with 2NT even if that doesn't immediately give me the information I want. Some other players might instead choose to jump to 4 (Poor man's Blackwood), 4NT (Roman Key Card Blackwood) or 6 (simply poor).

When you preempt it is often difficult to have a constructive auction after, especially a slam action. Some people insist(ed) that preempts must be pure to not leave partner guessing. These days it is more common to compete more aggressively, trading some constructive accuracy for increased frequency (and with it, profits) when the opponents hold stronger hands.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-12, 16:33

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-October-12, 10:18, said:

I think no partnerships would get to 6. The main question is whether you stop in 4 or 6, and if the latter, whether there will be shouting after the board.
Personally I dislike jumping on slam hands, so I would begin with 2NT even if that doesn't immediately give me the information I want. Some other players might instead choose to jump to 4 (Poor man's Blackwood), 4NT (Roman Key Card Blackwood) or 6 (simply poor).

When you preempt it is often difficult to have a constructive auction after, especially a slam action. Some people insist(ed) that preempts must be pure to not leave partner guessing. These days it is more common to compete more aggressively, trading some constructive accuracy for increased frequency (and with it, profits) when the opponents hold stronger hands.

I may well be resulting, but Ogust does not look automatic here: we have a blockbuster in the other three suits and might well be better in a minor 4-4 or even NT at MP. A 3 start is not illogical if forcing, now it will be difficult to miss slam however much they bid hearts.

#8 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-12, 16:53

It works very well on this deal but in general I am not a fan, especially not if 2 always shows six cards. It casts doubt on the strain if we later return to spades, and also permits partner to raise with 3-card support.

As it is I'm quite interested in partner's strength and suit quality, so Ogust isn't all bad.

#9 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-12, 23:34

View Postpescetom, on 2024-October-12, 16:33, said:

I may well be resulting, but Ogust does not look automatic here: we have a blockbuster in the other three suits and might well be better in a minor 4-4 or even NT at MP. A 3 start is not illogical if forcing, now it will be difficult to miss slam however much they bid hearts.

If you classify this a 'weak hand weak suit' then you can exit in 4, but does the 4 turn it into a 'good hand' which may land you in 6?

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-14, 09:19

mw64ahw, on 2024-October-12, 23:34, said:

If you classify this a 'weak hand weak suit' then you can exit in 4, but does the 4 turn it into a 'good hand' which may land you in 6?

The clubs don't quite make it a 'good hand' for me (change the 7 to T then probably yes).

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users