BBO Discussion Forums: The 'My Scrapped Bidding Inventions' thread - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The 'My Scrapped Bidding Inventions' thread

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,853
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2020-September-29, 03:53

View Postrbforster, on 2020-September-28, 19:03, said:

For a while I tried to get a 2/1 non-forcing, non-constructive framework to work over a limited/precision 1M opener.

Have you tried my method?
(-: Zel :-)
0

#22 User is offline   rbforster 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,611
  • Joined: 2006-March-18

Posted 2020-October-02, 04:00

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-September-29, 03:53, said:

Have you tried my method?

I have not. Can you link it so I can check it out?
0

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,853
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2020-October-02, 05:22

View Postrbforster, on 2020-October-02, 04:00, said:

I have not. Can you link it so I can check it out?

I have posted it a number of times but do not have any links stored. It runs like this:-

1♥ (always unbalanced)
==
1♠ = INV+ relay
1NT = weak, 4+♠
2♣ = weak, 4+♣ (and usually <4♠)
2♦ = weak, 5+♦ (and usually <4♠ <4♣)
2♥+ = various ♥ raises
--

1♥ - 1♠
==
1NT = min <4♠ (then 2♣ = GF relay; others = INV)
2♣ = 4+♠ (then 2♦ = GF relay, others = INV)
2♦ = GF, 4+♣
2♥ = GF, 1-suited
2♠ = GF, 5+♦
2NT+ = GF, 4♦
--

1♠ (always unbalanced)
==
1NT = INV+ relay
2♣ = weak, 4+♣
2♦ = weak, 4+♦ (and usually <4♣)
2♥ ) weak, 5+♥ (and usually <4♣ <4♦)
2♠+ = various ♠ raises
--

1♠- 1NT
==
2♣ = min <4♥ (then 2♦ = GF relay; others = INV)
2♦ = 4+♥ (then 2♥ = GF relay, others = INV)
2♥ = GF, 4+♣
2♠ = GF, 1-suited
2NT = GF, 5+♦
3♣+ = GF, 4♦
--
(-: Zel :-)
1

#24 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-02, 07:17

View Postrbforster, on 2020-September-28, 19:03, said:

For a while I tried to get a 2/1 non-forcing, non-constructive framework to work over a limited/precision 1M opener. The general idea was that 1N was forcing and included all GF hands without M support
In the 70s, Elizabeth McGowan and I, played Nottingham Club (similar to Precision). We adopted RBFoster's modification: a forcing !N reply to 1M. Change of suit was constructive but non-forcing. It works well. Also, before the Italians grafted low-level asking-bids onto Precision, we concocted our own version to play with Nottingham Club.
0

#25 User is online   PrecisionL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,025
  • Joined: 2004-March-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Knoxville, TN, USA
  • Interests:Emerald LM (7500+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge
    Statistics

Posted 2020-October-02, 07:58

Ah, Nottingham Club! I played it a few years ago in Nottingham, England with a club member. Posted Image

Actually, Precision is similar to The Nottingham Club, published in 1954, 1959, 1969.

I still use Nottingham's INFORMATIVE DOUBLE and 1NT OVERCALL FOR TAKEOUT in my defensive strategy.
Ultra ♣ Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision ♣ published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail ♣. 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified ♣ (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary ♣ Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape, 2025-6: Canape!
0

#26 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 951
  • Joined: 2012-April-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2020-October-07, 11:39

For a while I was very interested in opening weak hands. I threw together a couple of forcing pass systems, but never tried them.

Pass = 17+ any, or a weak hand which can't make another bid.
1C = Any 11-16 unbal, or 13-16 NT.
1D = Any weak one-suiter.
1M = Weak, 4M and 5+m.
1NT = 10-12
2C = Weak, both minors.
2D = Weak, both majors.
2M = Weak, 5+M and 4m.

A more "natural" idea was some artificial uses for the 1NT response to a natural 4+ 1C opening. I think one of them was some sort of inverted minor raise...
1

#27 User is offline   nullve 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,326
  • Joined: 2014-April-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norway
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-October-09, 05:24

Here

Spoiler

is part of a 2/1-like system I played in 1998/99. I had no access to the internet at the time and actually thought I might be the inventor transfer responses to (a not-too-unnatural) 1♣ and transfer rebids over 1M-1N. :(

But at a MP tournament, probably in 1999, I spoke with another Norwegian player who told me he had also come up with a version transfer responses to 1♣ (very close to "Dutch" T-Walsh, it turns out) and transfer rebids over 1M-1N, so it might have been a Zeitgeist thing. On the English-language Wikipedia page on T-Walsh there is a link to a pdf document (in Norwegian) describing (a possibly much more recent version of) his system.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users