BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#11421 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-26, 13:25

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-October-26, 12:58, said:

The tragedy is that that Fox has gone from simply right-wing propaganda network to now lunatics' mouthpiece. Have they no shame?

The answer is obvious. The Fox Propaganda Channel has no shame and will do and say anything to keep their viewership numbers high. They already promote fascism, racism, white supremacy, any kind of conspiracy theories about the left. I'm actually befuddled that they haven't advocated the return of slavery which would certainly raise their ratings among their target demographics.

#11422 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-October-26, 13:27

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-October-26, 13:01, said:

This bomb-builder may well turn out to be Dennison's undoing because Dennison won't be able to continue his relentless attacks without looking like he is promoting criminal behavior, and without his ability to incite hatred and division he has nothing to offer.

Dream on. Trump is impervious to any such criticism. He publicly derided the bomber, that will satisfy his base.

#11423 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-October-26, 13:38

View Postbarmar, on 2018-October-26, 13:27, said:

Dream on. Trump is impervious to any such criticism. He publicly derided the bomber, that will satisfy his base.

To amplify this -- remember that he survived saying that there were good neo-Nazis at the Charlottesville rally that turned violent.

#11424 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-October-26, 13:40

View Postbarmar, on 2018-October-26, 13:27, said:

There will always be 20-25% on the country who will be staunch defenders, but that "base" isn't enough to keep him in office past 2020. The choir isn't big enough to drown out the sound of crashing waves.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11425 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-26, 14:45

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-October-26, 13:40, said:

There will always be 20-25% on the country who will be staunch defenders, but that "base" isn't enough to keep him in office past 2020. The choir isn't big enough to drown out the sound of crashing waves.

I hope your view is correct, but fascism is on the rise from Australia to most of Europe. Look at Austria, Germany, France, and Italy which are at the forefront of the movement.

#11426 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-26, 15:14

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-October-26, 13:01, said:

This bomb-builder may well turn out to be Dennison's undoing because Dennison won't be able to continue his relentless attacks without looking like he is promoting criminal behavior, and without his ability to incite hatred and division he has nothing to offer.

The countdown clock is ticking until Dennison makes up a fantasy excuse to offer a pardon to the Republican bomber.

#11427 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-26, 15:57

View Postjohnu, on 2018-October-26, 15:14, said:

The countdown clock is ticking until Dennison makes up a fantasy excuse to offer a pardon to the Republican bomber.

Spin can go either way. A "crazy" known potential bomber. Easy-peasy. But before his threats meant he couldn't or wouldn't make bombs. A case of escalation or what else? Should be interesting to see where and how the escalation occurred. Was he inspired and egged on by Trump? Was he frustrated by MSM and Democratic criticisms? Something else?
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#11428 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-October-26, 17:00

View Postjohnu, on 2018-October-26, 14:45, said:

I hope your view is correct, but fascism is on the rise from Australia to most of Europe. Look at Austria, Germany, France, and Italy which are at the forefront of the movement.

You are right, and it is a dangerous time to invest in demagogues.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11429 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-October-26, 19:58

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-October-26, 17:00, said:

You are right, and it is a dangerous time to invest in demagogues.

Fashion repeats every 20 years.
Climate repeats every 132 years.
Politics? Fascists were on the rise in the 30's but that was a depression era so maybe it depends on the economy.

#11430 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-26, 22:03

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2018-October-26, 15:57, said:

Spin can go either way. A "crazy" known potential bomber. Easy-peasy. But before his threats meant he couldn't or wouldn't make bombs. A case of escalation or what else? Should be interesting to see where and how the escalation occurred. Was he inspired and egged on by Trump? Was he frustrated by MSM and Democratic criticisms? Something else?

The story is starting to get clearer:

Cesar Sayoc ‘Found A Father In Dennison,’ Family Attorney Tells Anderson Cooper

#11431 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-October-27, 07:03

While it is tempting to suppose that few people are stupid enough to take Trump's words seriously, even while they might agree in general with his politics, it does not take many such to pose a danger -- as this guy, Sayoc, of Trump's base, demonstrates. Throughout his campaign and his time in office, Trump has worked hard to stir up anger in his mob of supporters, and this is just the latest example of the fruits of his work.

It would not surprise me to learn that hundreds of his supporters are stupid enough to take Trump seriously, and for their emotions to lead them to ramp up the domestic terrorism that Trump intentionally incites. This all goes to show how dangerous it can be to cast a vote for a completely unsuitable candidate simply to thumb one's nose at educated folks who ground their opinions in reality.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#11432 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-27, 09:22

It is 100% correct that Republicans will force Insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions.

They will however allow them to charge 3, 4 5 times more for the coverage. I can't believe the Dems aren't bringing that up on the stump.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11433 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-October-27, 09:32

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-October-27, 09:22, said:

It is 100% correct that Republicans will force Insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions.

They will however allow them to charge 3, 4 5 times more for the coverage. I can't believe the Dems aren't bringing that up on the stump.

You are most likely correct. I would guess the under the guise of "choice and free market competition" the Republican position would be to "force" insurance companies to "offer" coverage that covers pre-existing conditions, which would allow insurance companies to charge usurious rates for that "premium" coverage in order to force most people to accept the lesser coverage that does not cover pre-existing conditions.

The entirety of the healthcare debate centers on one position: is healthcare a commodity that responds best to a free market business approach?

#11434 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-27, 13:39

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-October-27, 09:22, said:

The truth is that Republicans are already peddling minimum health insurance policies that explicitly don't cover pre-existing conditions. Many of the policy holders will have a very unpleasant surprise when they try to use that insurance and realize that they were just torching their policy premium dollars since their insurance isn't going to cover any of their costs.

Your estimate of 3-5 times the current premium is woefully underestimated. If you have a medical condition that is expected to cost a million plus dollars a year, the insurance companies are not going to lose money on you. They are going to charge you a million plus dollars a year plus maybe a 50% expense loading if they are forced to cover you.

GOP Bill ‘Covers’ Preexisting Conditions, But May Have Million-Dollar Premium

#11435 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-27, 13:48

Gunman targets Pittsburgh synagogue in 'hate crime;' 8 reported dead

KDKA television cited police sources as saying the gunman walked into the building and yelled “All Jews must die.”

Another brainwashed alt-right, neo-nazi/fascist.

A social media post by Bowers said a Jewish refugee organization, the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, "likes to bring invaders in that kill our people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I’m going in.”

Dennison and Fox Propaganda anti-immigrant hate talk scores another victory for their side.

#11436 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-October-27, 14:12

Later in his speech, however, the president contradicted his message of unity by going after people he called "globalists," and claiming they were hurting the economy. As he railed on "globalists," someone in the crowd yelled out "George Soros!" and the crowd began chanting "Lock him up!" The president chuckled, pointed to the crowd, and repeated the phrase "lock him up," back to them.

George Soros is a jew, a survivor of the holocaust, and wealthy. But attacking him as a "globalist" enemy who deserves to be "locked up" has nothing to do with a crazy killing spree in a synagogue the next day because the shooter was just a "whacko"?

As I said before, rhetoric of this sort creates targets for anger. It is not a surprise when that anger explodes into action, and the rhetoric cannot be called innocent at that point.

#11437 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-October-27, 16:20

Mueller? Mueller? .... Mueller?

#11438 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-27, 16:25

View Postjohnu, on 2018-October-27, 13:48, said:

Gunman targets Pittsburgh synagogue in 'hate crime;' 8 reported dead

Another brainwashed alt-right, neo-nazi/fascist.

Dennison and Fox Propaganda anti-immigrant hate talk scores another victory for their side.

I may be misreading and misinterpreting the news that I'm gathering, but I believe this guy isn't the product of Mango Mussolini's rhetoric. I think he believed Jews control both the right and the left. Apparently he opposed Trump.

The real issue here, in my mind, is that America is woefully, disastrously behind in addressing problems with mental health.
OK
bed

#11439 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-October-27, 19:14

In order to preempt the false equivalancies, I offer this:

....the problem with Trump’s rhetorical attacks on Democrats and the media is not that they are incendiary, divisive, or liable to inspire violence; the problem is that they are needlessly so — because they have no factual basis.

#11440 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-27, 21:48

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-October-27, 16:25, said:

I may be misreading and misinterpreting the news that I'm gathering, but I believe this guy isn't the product of Mango Mussolini's rhetoric. I think he believed Jews control both the right and the left. Apparently he opposed Trump.

The real issue here, in my mind, is that America is woefully, disastrously behind in addressing problems with mental health.

https://www.cnn.com/...file/index.html

On his Gab.com account, Bowers claimed Jews were helping transport members of the migrant caravans. He shared a video that another Gab.com user posted, purportedly of a Jewish refugee advocacy group HIAS on the US-Mexico border. Another post that Bowers commented on described HIAS' overall efforts as "sugar-coated evil."

According to his posts, Bowers believed that those in the migrant caravans were violent because they were attempting to leave countries that had high levels of violence. And Bowers repeatedly called them "invaders" on his Gab posts. "I have noticed a change in people saying 'illegals' that now say 'invaders'," read one post, six days before the shooting. "I like this."

Apparently Dennison wasn't tough enough on immigrants, or anti-semetic enough :rolleyes: , but Dennison is also the one who is single-handedly demonizing immigrants and the immigrant caravan and threatening to use military force to stop it at the border.

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

37 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook