BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1089 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#21641 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2024-July-21, 14:35

https://edition.cnn....1-24/index.html

Unfortunately, the complications we wanted to avoid have arrived. Harris should be the most natural and least complicated choice.

#21642 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-21, 15:27

View PostLovera, on 2024-July-21, 14:35, said:

https://edition.cnn....1-24/index.html

Unfortunately, the complications we wanted to avoid have arrived. Harris should be the most natural and least complicated choice.

My current guess is that no one will challenge her. It's like waiting until Thiursday to look for a date for the Senior Prom on Saturday. It is not going to go well.
Ken

#21643 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-21, 15:49

The outcome in the Biden saga was as expected. He announces that he is not running for a second term.

The method in which it was accomplished seems a bit odd.
1. So far, the TV and Social Media coverage has not featured any official video recordings or photographs of him signing THAT letter.
2. The PDF of the letter circulated widely (incl. on Twitter) appears to have a facsimile signature.

Technically, this is not an Official US Govt. matter; instead, it is entirely a matter within the purview of the DNC. I suppose I expected a speech by Biden (although he may do that later today) or a video or some photos of the letter signing.

Good outcome is all that matters.

#21644 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-21, 16:03

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-21, 15:49, said:

The method in which it was accomplished seems a bit odd.

Biden's decision to refuse to be the nominee of the Democratic Party is not an official act as President.
Why would there be any kind of signing ceremony?

What actually matters is that the Democratic Party is changing the verbiage on the FEC filings...
Alderaan delenda est

#21645 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-21, 17:53

Harris appears to be getting broad support quickly. This is very good.We need to know who the presidential candidate will be, who the vice-presidential candidate will be, and we need get the campaign underway. It appears this maybe be coming about. Good
Ken

#21646 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-22, 13:03

View Postshyams, on 2023-June-01, 12:06, said:

On the topic of "enemy", the people in power (the mega-rich/donor class & the establishment that kowtows to their every whim) are it.

I am going to make a prediction (I may very well turn out wrong on this, but I want to post it anyway). As part of his reelection campaign, Biden will find that donor money is not so forthcoming as it did in the past. He will have to make the necessary adjustment in order to reclaim the donors' largesse.

The adjustment? They will "promote" Lina Khan and move her to some non-consequential role; they will also move/promote/fire Jonathan Kanter. Believe me, the actions taken by these two (as Head of the FTC and of the Anti-Trust division of the DoJ respectively) will benefit the average American over long periods of time going forward. That's why the true enemies of the average American will ensure they are stopped in their tracks.

I posted this over a year ago.

Today, there was a discussion on CNBC where Jim Cramer discussed the FTC Head and the Anti-Trust division head. Cramer is convinced that Kamala Harris will fire both Lina Khan and Jonathan Kanter if she wins the Presidency.

If Trump wins, I think it highly unlikely that he will retain either of those two people (although J.D. Vance has repeatedly supported Khan during Senate Hearings).

So it looks like the "golden" period of modest pushbacks against corporate monopolisation will soon be over.

#21647 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-22, 13:54

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-22, 13:03, said:

I posted this over a year ago.

Today, there was a discussion on CNBC where Jim Cramer discussed the FTC Head and the Anti-Trust division head. Cramer is convinced that Kamala Harris will fire both Lina Khan and Jonathan Kanter if she wins the Presidency.

If Trump wins, I think it highly unlikely that he will retain either of those two people (although J.D. Vance has repeatedly supported Khan during Senate Hearings).

So it looks like the "golden" period of modest pushbacks against corporate monopolisation will soon be over.

I think I will confess.

You have opinions about Lina Khan and Jonathan Kanter. I can't recall ever hearing of either Lina Khan or Jonathan Kanter.

I live in Maryland, you live in London.

I am not at all sure what conclusions should be drawn from, my confession. I doubt that any of my friends know who Lina Khan and Jonathan Kanter are.

I do think it is very important for Harris to address important issues, So I am a bit lost here.

Ken

#21648 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-22, 15:22

I heard lots of talk about both

Jonathan Kanter was interviewed on the Ezra Klein show just a couple days back...
Alderaan delenda est

#21649 User is offline   Al Phalpha 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-July-22, 18:06

As I see it modern politicians (on both sides) are much more concerned about power than they are about love of their fellow man. Until that situation is reversed....love first, power last...I have little hope for our civilization.

#21650 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-22, 18:38

View PostAl Phalpha, on 2024-July-22, 18:06, said:

As I see it modern politicians (on both sides) are much more concerned about power than they are about love of their fellow man. Until that situation is reversed....love first, power last...I have little hope for our civilization.

There are people who do not love their fellow man and I hate people like that.-----Tom Lehrer

Maybe I will say something more useful later, I'm tired.
Ken

#21651 User is offline   Al Phalpha 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-July-22, 18:51

View Postkenberg, on 2024-July-22, 18:38, said:

, I'm tired.

Me too. Sweet dreams.

#21652 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2024-July-22, 21:36

Harris seems to be re-energizing her party already. Perhaps the juxtaposition of her youth compared to Joe Biden's age makes her look even more energetic and ready to go. The old guy is now Trump, and he looks it and sounds like it. And it couldn't be a better situation - the prosecutor V the crook.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#21653 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-22, 23:18

I gotta ask all you Kamala Harris stans. I previously wrote "The method in which [Biden not running for 2024] was accomplished seems a bit odd". Some 30+ hours have passed & I'm upgrading "a bit odd" to "strange & spooky".

Has no one of you (a) considered the possibility of a palace coup? OR (b) if the thought crossed your mind, you don't mind a palace coup?

#21654 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-July-23, 05:39

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-22, 23:18, said:

I gotta ask all you Kamala Harris stans. I previously wrote "The method in which [Biden not running for 2024] was accomplished seems a bit odd". Some 30+ hours have passed & I'm upgrading "a bit odd" to "strange & spooky".

Has no one of you (a) considered the possibility of a palace coup? OR (b) if the thought crossed your mind, you don't mind a palace coup?

A good rule in life is: if trying to decide whether some unclear event is cock-up or conspiracy, choose cock-up. (Unless you're a rabid conspiracy theorist, of course.)

#21655 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-July-23, 06:43

View PostPeterAlan, on 2024-July-23, 05:39, said:

A good rule in life is: if trying to decide whether some unclear event is cock-up or conspiracy, choose cock-up. (Unless you're a rabid conspiracy theorist, of course.)

Hanlon's razor as it's known

#21656 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-23, 07:42

I agree with those who have already responded that "botched up" is more likely than "cleverly plotted".

I was 5 when Harry Truman was elected VP and 6 when he became president. Of course I was not following politics at that age but later I understood many people thought "Opps". Roosevelt was pretty much expected to die in office in his 4th term and Truman was not regarded all that highly. Ok, he wasn't Thomas Jefferson but I think historians regard him as a decent pres.

If we had time to consider at length, my guess is we could do better than Harris. We don't have time. Actually, I am not prepared to discuss her plusses and minuses at any length. But "dawdled' would be a serious understatement of what we have done. I regard Harris as a reasonable bet, perhaps she will be very good. The vice-presidency is an awful job, requiring creativity and energy while also requiring total loyalty to the president. Come up with great ideas that exactly reflect what the president thinks.

Harris has expressed her admiration of Biden. Fine. Now she has to be Harris. This could get tricky, she is still VP. But from what I see, she has views of her own and they need to be clearly set out. Not all of them will track Biden"s views. I think she has potential.

Presidents have advisers, cabinet ministers and so on. No one knows everything and, except for DT, presidents are aware that they don't know everything. So leading and coordinating a team is important.

I think there are a lot of people out there who would like to hear something about, say, immigration without a discussion of Hannibal Lector. There are opportunities here for a person with good sense. Kamal Harris might well be the one.
Ken

#21657 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-23, 09:09

Al Phalpha could learn a lot from Shyams

Same accelerationist nonsense, but he tries to disguise it a bit better

As for coup nonsense

1. I don't mainline Fox or the All In podcast
2. Biden is meeting with Netanyahu on Thursday
Alderaan delenda est

#21658 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-23, 12:36

View Posthrothgar, on 2024-July-23, 09:09, said:

Al Phalpha could learn a lot from Shyams

Same accelerationist nonsense, but he tries to disguise it a bit better

As for coup nonsense

1. I don't mainline Fox or the All In podcast
2. Biden is meeting with Netanyahu on Thursday

It doesn't matter much to me what really happened behind the scenes. As far as I am concerned, it is great entertainment & gossip value. These things may well be leaked & get published in November by mainstream media if Kamala loses in November.

I'd have thought that it is becoming of all citizens to be heavily sceptical of their nation's government. I have a sense of dread about the direction Starmer may be taking our govt. (and I often vote Labour). I hope my dread is misplaced but I'll have to wait & watch.

This is not about hrothgar in particular, who clearly is well read.

But let us be clear that a fair % of posters here (many Dem leaning) will swallow anything your media publishes as long as the Dems look great in that publication.

#21659 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-23, 14:10

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-23, 12:36, said:

I'd have thought that it is becoming of all citizens to be heavily sceptical of their nation's government.

I don't see how your amplifying inane right wing conspiracy theories is an effective way to advance discussion
Alderaan delenda est

#21660 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-23, 15:36

View PostWinstonm, on 2024-July-22, 21:36, said:

Perhaps the juxtaposition of her youth

Kamala is 59 years old. Only in presidential politics and the ACBL are 59 and youth mentioned in the same sentence. :D

• 1089 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

258 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 258 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook