• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handling 2H DONT

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2013-October-19, 08:26

Haven't been able to find on internet method to handle a DONT 2 overcall of 1N showing at least 5-4 in majors.
need choices.

if this was Cap would play double to show at least one 4-card major and some interest in penalties and Lebensohl otherwise.

or Larry Cohen method

2♥ = GF in ♣
2♠ = GF in ♦
2NT = Lebensohl -- where rebidding 3M shows a stopper
3m = Invitational
3M = GF, Shortness (0 or 1)
3NT = game, Neither MAJOR stopped

However, in DONT doubling 2 for penalty would have to show 4. What to do with 4 especially if balanced
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-19, 08:38

Just treat it as natural:

x = to
2 = nat
2NT = lebensohl (or transfer if that's what you normally do)

Trying to come up with a "perfect" defence to every defensive variant is an exercise in futility.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-19, 13:39

I prefer to play penalty Dbl here, and 2 as takeout for the minors (2NT and higher your normal intervention scheme like they overcalled natural). I think the lowest priority in this situation is to find a fit in a Major, fighting the part score battle and bidding NT games are far more frequent.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-19, 13:56

I would also treat it as natural, expect that partner shouldn't expect anything in spades if I double. If he does bid spades over the double I can pass, but the double could on 2245 or similar shape as well.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 09:35

I don't know, although I will take the judgement of the pros over me. When *I* bid DONT, I'm primarily "getting in the way" (as a result, I don't promise 5 cards in any suit, but will usually have it). The 4=4=4=1 major will play a trick better, probably, knowing the trump break over the ones who didn't get any competition (because their opponents are playing something sounder); giving that away seems uncomfortable.

I, too, don't go for "10-page defences to each different possible NT defence"; so I play "Lebensohl around hearts".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 14:30

Just treating 2 as natural as a simple solution that works. If you wanted some way of using the spade calls that is equivalent to the posted defence then you could adjust as

X = takeout
2 = range ask, invitational hand or GF with a major open (partner makes a Paradox response, after which Responder can show a minor or ask for a stopper
2NT = clubs
3 = diamonds
3 = Stayman
3M = splinter
3NT = to play

Whether such fine-tuning is worth it would presumably depend on how often you meet DONT along with whether you think the additional information given to the defence is worth the increased accuracy and how often you feel playing in spades makes sense.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users