BBO Discussion Forums: Negative double and then repeat your suit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative double and then repeat your suit When partner passed... twice

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-October-17, 17:21

Say it goes:

What would doubling and then 2 show?
What about jumping to 3 over 1?
What would you bid with:

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-October-18, 05:00

I wouldnever ever double with the example hand. I would think a second about 1 NT to show the stopper and the point range and then bid the normal 3 .
A double and a later 2 looks like a strong 2633 or maybe 1624 hand hoping to catch a pass from partner.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-18, 06:13

My view of auctions such as these is that Responder's initial pass puts us in "non-constructive mode" and that our primary aim should be winning the part-score battle.

After 1, 3 shows good hearts and is akin to a strong preempt. Doubling and bidding 2 suggests that we have clubs but not good enough to rebid; perhaps a 1624 hand. With the given hand both 2 and 3 over 1 are possible and may be correct with different agreements from the ones given here. However, my preferred course of action would be a double followed by 3, which shows a maximum one-suiter and puts us back into "constructive mode". The only other options I can envisage are 2 and double followed by 2 but my idea of hands that would qualify for these sequences is considerably different from the OP hand (not that I can ever remember having used either nor had any explicit agreement for them).
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-18, 06:37

I would not bid double with 4 cards in the opps suit.

This sort of hand is about going plus. We are facing a partner who did not respond (likely does not even have a K)which means, to me, that our trick total has been reduced especially with the long spades, as LHO will be able to ruff those. So how many tricks does this hand really look like it has? I think the opportunity to get a plus bidding 3H is not so appealing anymore. Where will the opps play if you were to simply re-bid 2H? Lets consider if they could go plus in a 3 level minor suit, I don't know but I am not overly concerned my hand is horrible as a defender when partner is going to be long in both minors and as little as a J or 10 4th could be problematic for declarer.

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-18, 07:11

Hi

#1 double, followed by 2H - I guess a good hand with 64
#2 bidding 3H over 1S showes a good hand, short of a forcing opening bid
#3 what would I bid? 2H, is there an alternative?

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-October-18, 08:14

I think it's not quite standard but it seems to be a good idea that when partner Passes, jumping around shows no game interest but rather pre-balancing against the opponents. GIB has that agreement e.g. and I've seen Lauria-Versace do it (in a non forcing club context, importantly).

But even so, I think double first is not going to get you to game, it's just a competitive move, so X and then removing 2m to 2H is just saying you missed a fit.

With the 4612 hand I still am not thinking game, so I would just rebid 2H instead of double. If partner has 5 HCP and 2 hearts, it's still going to be a thin game. If partner has 3 hearts and 4 HCP (I guess the best possible hand), maybe he will find in his heart to raise to 3H if he has a singleton somewhere. It seems like we are really scraping for a game that is not there, so forcing X-then-heart to be a strong hand makes it harder to compete on the fauna of hands that just want to compete and get partner to bid their minors (which, unlike spades, they could not show with a light initial response).

Thanks,
Dan

#7 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-21, 03:52

To me opener has shown two places to play (6-4 because 5-5 bids 2 iso double). With the example hand I'd bid 3.

Steven

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users