Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invitational Jump Shift Rebids by opener

#1 User is offline   kriegel 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-24, 13:23

Does anyone have a good follow-up structure after responder makes an invitational jump to the 3-level? Specifically which bids by opener should be natural and which should set the trump suit? Is there a standard structure?

1 - 3 natural, inv
3 is forcing, of course
3NT natural
but what about 4/4? It seems like there needs to be a way to show minors but also a stronger heart raise. Would a 3/3NT inversion have any merit here?

It's a little easier after a minor because a raise can be natural with some slam interest, right?
1 - 3 natural, inv
3 natural, 5-5(?)
3 forcing
3NT offer to play
4 natural(?)
4 slam interest

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-25, 03:11

I do not play this but how about:

3 = clubs or a one-suited slam try (then after 3NT: 4 shows clubs)
3NT = to play
4 = diamonds
4 = slam try in hearts
4M = to play
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-25, 05:15

After a recent catastrophe, I now play standard Townsend here (I already played it, but had not informed partner).

After 1-3:
3 6+ spades including all very distributional hands. Could be (and indeed was) 6-6 for instance
4/ Cues agreeing hearts

With 55 you just pass or raise hearts, of course. You can still get to the minor fit on freaks. If the 3 bidder now bids 3NT, there is no problem - 4m now shows a GOOD five-card suit, and at least 65. If partner bids beyond 3NT you could play that he shows fragments, but I would just play cues, personally.

And don't bother playing anything conventional here - it just caters for the wrong hands at an unnecessary memory cost.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2012-October-28, 07:39

I like the idea of INV JS. mentioned briefly on pg 220 of 2/1 GF by A Grant & E Rodwell. Even 3/3 can be used as INV at cost of Bergen or STR J/S. However, no follow up is given.
I assume to make this jump you are short in openers suit, otherwise make a 1N forcing response.

So, I would say opener's rebid over 1-3 are:
3 - non-forcing 6+ card suit with short
3N - to play
4/4 - natural and forcing 5-5 or better
4/4 - to play
4N - 1430 or RKC for may end up in with good spades but ask is for

If you use 3/3 as INV, you could use 3M as constructive and 2N as limit or forcing. Thus you would still have the Bergen meanings but would lose 1M-3M as preemptive.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 04:51

View Poststeve2005, on 2012-October-28, 07:39, said:

If you use 3/3 as INV, you could use 3M as constructive and 2N as limit or forcing. Thus you would still have the Bergen meanings but would lose 1M-3M as preemptive.

No, this doesn't work. If you use 3 to be 7-10 constructive raise with 4 card support, 3 by opener is invitational. You lose that if you bid 3M. Also if you currently play 2NT as GF, the follow-ons are different to a merely invitational 2NT so you lose those as well. So that's 3 losses.

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-October-29, 07:15

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-October-29, 04:51, said:

Also if you currently play 2NT as GF, the follow-ons are different to a merely invitational 2NT so you lose those as well.

In general, this is not a loss, but rather a vast improvement. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2012-October-29, 15:52

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-October-29, 04:51, said:

No, this doesn't work. If you use 3 to be 7-10 constructive raise with 4 card support, 3 by opener is invitational. You lose that if you bid 3M. Also if you currently play 2NT as GF, the follow-ons are different to a merely invitational 2NT so you lose those as well. So that's 3 losses.

Think you misunderstood
3M=constructive raise
2N=limit raise or better (includes forcing raises, yes will need different responses but is certainly playable, take Jordan over takeout X for example)
2M=5-10 pts 3 card support or 5-7 pts 4 card support
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   kriegel 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-29, 16:08

With regard to 1M - 2NT being invitational-plus, Larry Cohen's rebid structure (July 2010 Bridge Bulletin) works very well.

1M - 2NT
3 any minimum
.......3 GF relay
.......3M limit raise (opener can pass or raise)
3 non-min w/ shortness
.......3 relay
3 non-min 5-4-2-2
.......3 relay
3 non-min 6-3-2-2/7-2-2-2
3NT non-min balanced (or 18-19 balanced if you open 1NT w/ 5-card majors)
4-level 5-5, goodish suits, non-min

After the relays, you just pattern out in steps. The full structure is here https://web.acbl.org...in/showIssue.do on page 12. Obviously you have to modify it slightly with inv+.

#9 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 16:21

View PostPhilKing, on 2012-October-25, 05:15, said:

After a recent catastrophe, I now play standard Townsend here (I already played it, but had not informed partner).

After 1-3:
3 6+ spades including all very distributional hands. Could be (and indeed was) 6-6 for instance
4/ Cues agreeing hearts

With 55 you just pass or raise hearts, of course. You can still get to the minor fit on freaks. If the 3 bidder now bids 3NT, there is no problem - 4m now shows a GOOD five-card suit, and at least 65. If partner bids beyond 3NT you could play that he shows fragments, but I would just play cues, personally.

And don't bother playing anything conventional here - it just caters for the wrong hands at an unnecessary memory cost.

This all seems very sensible. The same basic structure can be played after the (uncontested) sequence 1-1-3.

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 21:16

Yep I just play 4m as a cue

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-November-20, 03:49

View Postkriegel, on 2012-October-29, 16:08, said:

With regard to 1M - 2NT being invitational-plus, Larry Cohen's rebid structure (July 2010 Bridge Bulletin) works very well.

While widely disseminated by Larry Cohen, I am given to believe that the inventor of this method is Chip Martel. (Reference: http://www.reginabri...ions/j2nmar.txt )
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users