Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just Makes Me Laugh II GIB CC omission

#1 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-08, 13:39

It looks like GIB plays sys on / dbl & 2C when we open 1N. Is that correct? The GIB CC says only sys on/dbl.

Here's the hand. (Disclaimer: No little old ladies were harmed in the course of our misadventures.)

tl;dr Pard opened 1N and I (after looking at GIB CC) tried to sign off in LHO's AKQT8x suit, but because the CC is wrong, transferred into RHO's KQT9xx suit. Now LHO came to my rescue and rather than let us play in our 3-2 fit decided his 3-3 fit looked better and I promptly led a trump through dummy's qxx into pard's akjx.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 14:06

The system notes say:

If the opponents overcall 2C (Cappelletti any 1-suited hand), Double is Stayman and all other bids as [if no interference]. If the opponents overcall with a double, all systems are on. After any other interference, Lebensohl is used.

#3 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 14:27

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-September-08, 14:06, said:

The system notes say:

Ah kk, ty sir. ...

Wait a minute, GIB is smart enough to know whether the human who bid 2 showed an unspecified single-suited hand or not and can change his bids accordingly?
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 17:01

View Postjonottawa, on 2012-September-08, 13:39, said:

It looks like GIB plays sys on / dbl & 2C when we open 1N. Is that correct? The GIB CC says only sys on/dbl.

Here's the hand. (Disclaimer: No little old ladies were harmed in the course of our misadventures.)

You do get to see bid description before you bid (they may be wrong but its the best information (except for occasional common bridge sense decisions) you can get) so that lack of detail in the system card doesn't matter- the other vague descriptions are another matter.

Anyway it shows the inconsistent GIB handling of interfering bids, if West can double diamonds as penalty, why can't East double hearts as penalty?

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-September-08, 20:43

View Postjonottawa, on 2012-September-08, 14:27, said:

Wait a minute, GIB is smart enough to know whether the human who bid 2 showed an unspecified single-suited hand or not and can change his bids accordingly?

No, the Notes shorthand means "If the opponents overcall 2C (which is Cappelletti and defined as showing any 1-suited hand)..."

#6 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-09, 11:45

I maintain that the CC is wrong because GIB doesn't cater its bidding to what the opps bids actually mean, but only to what the bids would mean if GIB made them. GIB plays sys on over dbl/2C when it opens 1N.

That brings up a very valid point though, that since GIB assumes that its opps all play the same system it does that highly artificial/unusual systems would doubtless have a tremendous advantage (like if there were a tournament where people (partnerships) competed to score the highest against 2 GIBs.) Kind of like how people who play unusual systems have an inherent advantage against weaker players.

That brings this hand to mind. If GIB (E) thinks I have 25-30 HCP it partially explains its defense on the hand.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-September-09, 12:43

It is a condition of contest in GIB tournaments, and even in Express tournaments where GIB substitutes, that all players agree to play the GIB convention card. Playing something different would not be stategically clever, it would be cheating.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users