BBO Discussion Forums: Pay up, Charles Anderson Worsley Anderson-Pelham - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pay up, Charles Anderson Worsley Anderson-Pelham

#1 User is offline   myprac 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: 2011-October-28

Posted 2011-December-04, 09:37

He was, of course, the second earl of Yarborough, best known for offering to wager at 1,000 to one odds that the hand you're about to be dealt will include at least one honor (10 or higher). The odds against a "true" Yarborough hand are 1,828 to one. This hand with no card higher than an eight might be called a super Yarborough. You'll pick it up only once in 16,960 deals, so even if you play as much as I do you'll see it only once or twice a year.

My link

Unless you play a lot, and stick with it a long time, you might never see a hand with no card higher than a seven, which occurs about four times out of a million.
0

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

  • Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,505
  • Joined: 2008-March-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, ME

Posted 2011-December-04, 10:16

Your spots summed to 64. I recall a recent George Jacobs article in the ACBL Bulletin (although I couldn't find it) where someone had a hand that summed to less than 50.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"
0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-December-04, 10:32

On the other side of the story we dealt once a hand with 33 HCP

AKQ
AQ
AKJ
AKQJ9

Lowest spot a 9 is the reverse to highest a 7.

Sadly for the holder we weren´t playing bridge but "Barbu", dealer asked for no tricks, the other players all doubled obviously, and he claimed at trick 4.
0

#4 User is offline   eyhung 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 345
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Location:San Jose, CA
  • Interests:bridge, poker, literature, boardgames, computers, classical music, baseball, history

Posted 2011-December-04, 17:00

Well, I guess I now know the worst hand I'll ever hold in my life. I was dealt :

753 53 6543 6542

in a Swiss match this year. I took a photo of the hand and it's on my cell phone. Pip count is 58. Seems really difficult to get less than 50.
Eugene Hung
0

#5 User is offline   myprac 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: 2011-October-28

Posted 2011-December-06, 15:10

In her book Bid Better, Play Better, Dorothy Hayden Truscott reports holding

742 654 6532 432

Fifty-three pips, if I added correctly. If you subtract a point for flat distribution your point count goes negative and you enter the Twilight Zone. BTW, she had a top board with that sorry collection, so you should never get disgusted with the cards you're dealt.
0

#6 User is offline   S2000magic 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 439
  • Joined: 2011-November-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yorba Linda, CA
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-December-06, 15:43

Last night my partner held:

♠ 5 3 2
♥ 7 6 5 4 3
♦ 7 2
♣ 7 6 5

Sum = 62.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
0

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-December-07, 15:41

View PostFluffy, on 2011-December-04, 10:32, said:

On the other side of the story we dealt once a hand with 33 HCP

AKQ
AQ
AKJ
AKQJ9

Lowest spot a 9 is the reverse to highest a 7.

Sadly for the holder we weren´t playing bridge but "Barbu", dealer asked for no tricks, the other players all doubled obviously, and he claimed at trick 4.


Trick 4? An optimist. I'd have claimed at trick 1.
0

#8 User is offline   daveharty 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 694
  • Joined: 2010-October-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ann Arbor, MI
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-December-07, 16:39

View Postmyprac, on 2011-December-04, 09:37, said:

You'll pick it up only once in 16,960 deals, so even if you play as much as I do you'll see it only once or twice a year.

That IS a lot a bridge.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper
0

#9 User is offline   myprac 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: 2011-October-28

Posted 2011-December-08, 16:17

View Postdaveharty, on 2011-December-07, 16:39, said:

That IS a lot a bridge.


Depends on who you ask, I guess. Recently I noticed there was a particular name that popped up frequently in my travelers, and I pulled up a week's hand records to see how he or she was doing. After what seemed like a long time BBO gave me a list of over 2,000 hands, for ONE WEEK mind you, about 300 a day. And I thought I practiced a lot! (If I'm not especially busy with, um, work, that's a good month of practice for me.)
0

#10 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-08, 19:43

Had a 71 today. 4333, but two 9's.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users