BBO Discussion Forums: lenght on all suits - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lenght on all suits

#21 User is offline   cherdano 

  • 5555
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,520
  • Joined: 2003-September-04
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-December-07, 10:55

I also think pass should be forcing, but what about the auction (2♥) 4♠ (5♣) ?

I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke
0

#22 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-07, 11:21

View Postcherdano, on 2011-December-07, 10:55, said:

I also think pass should be forcing, but what about the auction (2♥) 4♠ (5♣) ?

I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.

Interesting situation. The parallels are not exact, but very close.

For one thing, the meaning of the 4♠ call is slightly different in the two auctions.

In the OP, a balancing double would have a lower minimum than in this situation, had partner doubled 2♥. And partner would have less reason to fear a penalty pass of his takeout double when we sit in front of the 2♥ bidder rather than behind. So I think a direct 4♠ shows a slightly different but overlapping range of hands than does a balancing 4♠. I think the direct would be slightly more powerful than a balancing 4♠ on average...with many hands being 4♠ bids in either seat.

I think it remains close. I think I'd still make my 5♠ call and hope that partner realizes that with slam interest, I would have passed and pulled.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#23 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-December-07, 11:46

View Postcherdano, on 2011-December-07, 10:55, said:

I also think pass should be forcing, but what about the auction (2♥) 4♠ (5♣) ?

I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.

In that auction I wouldn't play a forcing pass. There's no longer the "sound of the auction" inference that they're saving, and the 4♠ bidder doesn't promise great defensive strength.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
1

#24 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-December-07, 12:05

View PostFluffy, on 2011-December-07, 08:15, said:

Now time to rate partner´s bidding, he had:

♠AK8xxx
♥Ax
♦AQxx
♣x


4♠ doesn't look quite right, because the spades aren't good enough to insist on the suit. However, it's not obvious what is the right approach. Dbl-2NT;3♠ might provoke partner into bidding 5♣ - he will expect more than a small singleton club for this sequence. Dbl-2NT;4♠ just shows a stronger one-suiter than we actually have. Hence I don't mind the direct 4♠.

The complaints about partner's bidding are probably because the complainers lost 100 when they should have been taking 500. :)
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#25 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-07, 12:06

Double seems clear to me. I don't relish partner trying to take 11 tricks on the (obvious?) trump lead when he is 7=1=4=1. I'd give thought to 5♠ at MPs but in some layouts we are getting 800 when we make 5♠.

Please explain to your partner that a 4♠ overcall shows a different hand than a control rich 6=2=4=1. (edit - and if he did bid 4♠, this is the easiest double of 5♣...ever).

On Cherdano's auction I would not take pass as forcing.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#26 User is offline   S2000magic 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 439
  • Joined: 2011-November-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yorba Linda, CA
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-December-07, 12:15

View Postcherdano, on 2011-December-07, 10:55, said:

I also think pass should be forcing, but what about the auction (2♥) 4♠ (5♣) ?

I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.

Is 5♣ to play here, or is it forcing? I think we cannot decide what to do on this auction until we know how the opponents play 5♣.

On the original auction, 5♣ was clearly to play; here, it could be, for example,

♠ -
♥ A J 10 8 2
♦ 7 6
♣ A K Q 7 4 2

If opener has a first- or second-round diamond control, they have a heart slam.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
1

#27 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-December-07, 12:54

gnasher killin it in this thread, agree with basically everything he has said word for word.
0

#28 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-07, 13:44

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-December-07, 12:54, said:

gnasher killin it in this thread, agree with basically everything he has said word for word.

Odd, because I disagree with a lot of what he said, and I normally agree with you :P

One point neither Andy nor you have commented upon is partner's pass of 5♣.

While I remain of the view that 4♠ was horrible.....I think double is the best call and 3♠ has merit......the real misbid was the pass of 5♣ with the actual hand.

I wonder how you and Andy think the auction whould go if N held AKJ10xxx Ax AJxx void?

When partner forces to game unilaterally at unfavourable and then invites me to bid one more and I hold two offensive tricks more than I have shown, doubling for what rates to be 500 against 650 isn't my choice.

Put another way: I suspect that most of us who bid 5♠ in the actual auction would pass smoothly had partner doubled 5♣. I know I would, and I am not 'resulting' no matter how much Andy thinks those who disagree with him must be doing so :D

(see: I added a smiley so that Andy wouldn't get upset :P )
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#29 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-December-07, 18:21

View Postmikeh, on 2011-December-07, 13:44, said:

I wonder how you and Andy think the auction whould go if N held AKJ10xxx Ax AJxx void?


I think that's too strong for a direct 4♠. I'd double and then bid 4♠.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#30 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2011-December-07, 19:20

View Postgnasher, on 2011-December-07, 12:05, said:

4♠ doesn't look quite right, because the spades aren't good enough to insist on the suit. However, it's not obvious what is the right approach. Dbl-2NT;3♠ might provoke partner into bidding 5♣ - he will expect more than a small singleton club for this sequence. Dbl-2NT;4♠ just shows a stronger one-suiter than we actually have. Hence I don't mind the direct 4♠.

The complaints about partner's bidding are probably because the complainers lost 100 when they should have been taking 500. :)


I think passing over 5C with this genuinely into Give Up The Game Territory. Making a FP with this hand when you have a ton more defense and less offense than partner is expecting shows terrifyingly poor judgement. Making a non-forcing pass is even worse.

I dont like the 4S bid either. Just feels like a distortion for no reason. If partner passes 2hx you are collecting enough to compensate a slam. Double and bid spades in whatever way is forcing with a flexible hand is clear.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

#31 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-07, 22:19

View Postgnasher, on 2011-December-07, 18:21, said:

I think that's too strong for a direct 4♠. I'd double and then bid 4♠.

and over 5♣?

Not that I necessarily disagree with your valuation of the hand, but your approach seems inconsistent with your earlier fear of 2N then 5♣
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#32 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-December-08, 01:58

View Postphil_20686, on 2011-December-07, 19:20, said:

I dont like the 4S bid either. Just feels like a distortion for no reason. If partner passes 2hx you are collecting enough to compensate a slam. Double and bid spades in whatever way is forcing with a flexible hand is clear.

You make it sound very easy. Perhaps you can tell us how to bid spades in a forcing way?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#34 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2011-December-08, 03:41

View Postphil_20686, on 2011-December-07, 19:20, said:

Double and bid spades in whatever way is forcing with a flexible hand is clear.


Is this hand really worth a GF? I think a "strong" but non forcing Double+3♠ is enough.
1

#35 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2011-December-08, 04:11

View Postgnasher, on 2011-December-08, 01:58, said:

You make it sound very easy. Perhaps you can tell us how to bid spades in a forcing way?


If you double and bid 3S, that should be forcing except for the case when partner has a (very) weak hand with 0-1 spade, when he can pass.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

#36 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-December-08, 04:53

View Postmikeh, on 2011-December-07, 22:19, said:

and over 5♣?

Not that I necessarily disagree with your valuation of the hand, but your approach seems inconsistent with your earlier fear of 2N then 5♣

Dbl-2NT;3♠ shows a strong flexible hand. Dbl-2NT;4♠ shows a strong one-suiter. In the latter sequence I wouldn't expect him to try to play in 5♣; in fact, I think 5♣ would be a cue-bid.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#37 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-December-08, 04:54

View Postmich-b, on 2011-December-08, 03:41, said:

Is this hand really worth a GF? I think a "strong" but non forcing Double+3♠ is enough.

I agree with that evaluation.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users