lenght on all suits
#21
Posted 2011-December-07, 10:55
I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.
#22
Posted 2011-December-07, 11:21
cherdano, on 2011-December-07, 10:55, said:
I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.
Interesting situation. The parallels are not exact, but very close.
For one thing, the meaning of the 4♠ call is slightly different in the two auctions.
In the OP, a balancing double would have a lower minimum than in this situation, had partner doubled 2♥. And partner would have less reason to fear a penalty pass of his takeout double when we sit in front of the 2♥ bidder rather than behind. So I think a direct 4♠ shows a slightly different but overlapping range of hands than does a balancing 4♠. I think the direct would be slightly more powerful than a balancing 4♠ on average...with many hands being 4♠ bids in either seat.
I think it remains close. I think I'd still make my 5♠ call and hope that partner realizes that with slam interest, I would have passed and pulled.
#23
Posted 2011-December-07, 11:46
cherdano, on 2011-December-07, 10:55, said:
I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.
In that auction I wouldn't play a forcing pass. There's no longer the "sound of the auction" inference that they're saving, and the 4♠ bidder doesn't promise great defensive strength.
#24
Posted 2011-December-07, 12:05
Fluffy, on 2011-December-07, 08:15, said:
♠AK8xxx
♥Ax
♦AQxx
♣x
4♠ doesn't look quite right, because the spades aren't good enough to insist on the suit. However, it's not obvious what is the right approach. Dbl-2NT;3♠ might provoke partner into bidding 5♣ - he will expect more than a small singleton club for this sequence. Dbl-2NT;4♠ just shows a stronger one-suiter than we actually have. Hence I don't mind the direct 4♠.
The complaints about partner's bidding are probably because the complainers lost 100 when they should have been taking 500.
#25
Posted 2011-December-07, 12:06
Please explain to your partner that a 4♠ overcall shows a different hand than a control rich 6=2=4=1. (edit - and if he did bid 4♠, this is the easiest double of 5♣...ever).
On Cherdano's auction I would not take pass as forcing.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#26
Posted 2011-December-07, 12:15
cherdano, on 2011-December-07, 10:55, said:
I would also double 5♣. I think partner is likely to have a heart void, and thus not likely to have a club void, too.
Is 5♣ to play here, or is it forcing? I think we cannot decide what to do on this auction until we know how the opponents play 5♣.
On the original auction, 5♣ was clearly to play; here, it could be, for example,
♠ -
♥ A J 10 8 2
♦ 7 6
♣ A K Q 7 4 2
If opener has a first- or second-round diamond control, they have a heart slam.
"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
#27
Posted 2011-December-07, 12:54
#28
Posted 2011-December-07, 13:44
JLOGIC, on 2011-December-07, 12:54, said:
Odd, because I disagree with a lot of what he said, and I normally agree with you
One point neither Andy nor you have commented upon is partner's pass of 5♣.
While I remain of the view that 4♠ was horrible.....I think double is the best call and 3♠ has merit......the real misbid was the pass of 5♣ with the actual hand.
I wonder how you and Andy think the auction whould go if N held AKJ10xxx Ax AJxx void?
When partner forces to game unilaterally at unfavourable and then invites me to bid one more and I hold two offensive tricks more than I have shown, doubling for what rates to be 500 against 650 isn't my choice.
Put another way: I suspect that most of us who bid 5♠ in the actual auction would pass smoothly had partner doubled 5♣. I know I would, and I am not 'resulting' no matter how much Andy thinks those who disagree with him must be doing so
(see: I added a smiley so that Andy wouldn't get upset
#29
Posted 2011-December-07, 18:21
mikeh, on 2011-December-07, 13:44, said:
I think that's too strong for a direct 4♠. I'd double and then bid 4♠.
#30
Posted 2011-December-07, 19:20
gnasher, on 2011-December-07, 12:05, said:
The complaints about partner's bidding are probably because the complainers lost 100 when they should have been taking 500.
I think passing over 5C with this genuinely into Give Up The Game Territory. Making a FP with this hand when you have a ton more defense and less offense than partner is expecting shows terrifyingly poor judgement. Making a non-forcing pass is even worse.
I dont like the 4S bid either. Just feels like a distortion for no reason. If partner passes 2hx you are collecting enough to compensate a slam. Double and bid spades in whatever way is forcing with a flexible hand is clear.
#31
Posted 2011-December-07, 22:19
gnasher, on 2011-December-07, 18:21, said:
and over 5♣?
Not that I necessarily disagree with your valuation of the hand, but your approach seems inconsistent with your earlier fear of 2N then 5♣
#32
Posted 2011-December-08, 01:58
phil_20686, on 2011-December-07, 19:20, said:
You make it sound very easy. Perhaps you can tell us how to bid spades in a forcing way?
#35
Posted 2011-December-08, 04:11
gnasher, on 2011-December-08, 01:58, said:
If you double and bid 3S, that should be forcing except for the case when partner has a (very) weak hand with 0-1 spade, when he can pass.
#36
Posted 2011-December-08, 04:53
mikeh, on 2011-December-07, 22:19, said:
Not that I necessarily disagree with your valuation of the hand, but your approach seems inconsistent with your earlier fear of 2N then 5♣
Dbl-2NT;3♠ shows a strong flexible hand. Dbl-2NT;4♠ shows a strong one-suiter. In the latter sequence I wouldn't expect him to try to play in 5♣; in fact, I think 5♣ would be a cue-bid.
#37
Posted 2011-December-08, 04:54
mich-b, on 2011-December-08, 03:41, said:
I agree with that evaluation.

Help
