BBO Discussion Forums: A Smattering of Points - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Smattering of Points

#1 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2011-December-04, 18:40

Form of Scoring: Swiss (7 board matches)



You play Snapdragon doubles. The one-level double hasn't arisen before with your partnership, so you don't take the chance that it shows additional distribution that you don't have.

What's your call now?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#2 User is offline   the_dude 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: 2009-November-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

Posted 2011-December-04, 18:49

I would bid 4S, but I don't feel that strongly about it. I think you could easily be off 4 top tricks so I have no argument with 3S.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?
1

#3 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,236
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-December-04, 18:50

View Postthe_dude, on 2011-December-04, 18:49, said:

I would bid 4S, but I don't feel that strongly about it. I think you could easily be off 4 top tricks so I have no argument with 3S.




4s
0

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-05, 08:10

Opps are bidding like crazy. The hand seems to be a double fit. It's close between 3 and 4, so I pick 4.
0

#5 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-December-05, 09:31

I don't understand why I can't bid 1♠ when I hold 5 of them and Double with only 4 card ♠. Even when playing snapdragon this just seems logical...

Now I'll bid 3♠. I bid freely, so I show some values for sure. Partner can evaluate his ♥ shortness better imo. I don't like my hand that much because it's got too much defense and not enough offense.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-05, 10:46

This is an odd auction if partner has 4 spades.....why wouldn't he bid 2♠ over 2♥?

Sounds to me as if he is 3=1=6=3 with a good hand, and rho has simply raised to the lawful level with a weak hand.

I think the master bid is 4♥...partner should bid 4♠ with 4 of them, and otherwise we play 5♦.

Axx x AKxxxx KJx won't fare well in spades most times, but 5♦ is pretty good, absent a club ruff.

So I'll bid 4♥. If partner has AQx in spades, maybe he'll bid 4♠ anyway :P

BTW, I think 3♠ is a poor call.....we may not have much, but everything we have is working....and we are under pressure, so we'd bid 3♠ on weaker hands, with more spades, just so as to not sell out.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
1

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-06, 10:40

so what happened?

After making my cuebid, in a sequence where I don't think I have ever cuebid before, I am interested in knowing how it would have worked out :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-06, 10:58

Don't be so curious :P
0

#9 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2011-December-06, 12:20

View Postmikeh, on 2011-December-06, 10:40, said:

so what happened?

After making my cuebid, in a sequence where I don't think I have ever cuebid before, I am interested in knowing how it would have worked out :D

Partner has the the following hand:
♠9xxx
♥x
♦AKJTx
♣AKx

There is no club ruff, so 4♠ rolls. I bid 3♠ only and we didn't get to game.

I think partner is right not to bid 2♠ on the lousy suit and I should have done more. It also let me rethink snapdragon doubles in this one particular sequence.

I should add that I took the low road because of my club holding. Of course the opening was on a hand with xxx in clubs!
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users