BBO Discussion Forums: Your bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your bid RHO has lots of diamonds

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,341
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-November-20, 18:03

What do you do with the following if RHO opens a) G3N b) 4♦ c) 5♦



I will post the hand opposite later and you can tell me what you do with that opposite what you bid with this one.
0

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-November-20, 18:31

Over G3N I'd bid 4♣, over 5♦ I'd Pass. Over 4♦ I'm torn between passing and bidding 5♣.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-November-20, 18:48

We don't have 4C available/G3N to show clubs, have to double for now. Not a takeout double.
Pass of 5D seems fine.
/4D? Would like to see how others feel about t/o double and hope to survive, or an immediate 5C.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-21, 04:24

Yeah I also play 4C over 3N as artificial. I'd probably just overcall 5C.

Over 4D I'd overcall 5C.

Over 5D I'd pass
1

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,341
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-November-21, 05:41

OK, now forget you've seen the other hand: You are vul against not.

You hold:



What do you do over:

(3N)-4♣(nat)-(P)-

(3N)-4♣(nat)-(4♦)-

(3N)-4♣(nat)-(5♦)-

(3N)-4♣(nat)-(4♠)-

(3N)-5♣ -(P)-

(3N)-5♣ -(5♦)-

(4♦)-P-(P)-

(4♦)-P-(5♦)-

(4♦)-P-(4♠)-

(4♦)-5♣-(P)-

4♦-5♣-(5♦)-

(5♦)-P-(P)-

And how do you think the auctions should continue. I left out the partner of the 3N/4♦ bidder psyching 4♥ which is what I might well have done.
0

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-November-21, 06:11

first hand: 4♣, 5♣ and pass


Second and: Over 4♣ overcall 4♥ if avaible, double if not avaible. Over 5♣ jump raise to 6. Over pass 4♥ if avaible, pass otherwise (sigh). Over 5♣ non jump overcall its the hardest I think pass and double.
0

#7 User is online   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,949
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-21, 10:30

I think most experienced players use 4♣ (and for some 4♦) over a 'long minor' 3N as artificial, on the basis that it is more useful to try to show different major suit takeouts than it is to try to compete in a minor.

So I wouldn't be able to bid 4♣ over 3N and I would bid 5♣ over 3N or 4♦ but pass 5♦.

As for the problems, if partner were able to and did overcall a natural 4♣, I'd be very uncomfortable.

4♥, if available, would be tempting but is it right? What would I bid with xx KQJxxxx xx xx? If I'd bid 4♥ then, can it be right to bid 4♥ now? But what is my alternative? I have precisely the wrong diamond holding to bid slam with confidence.

If I could bid 4♦, I would.....maybe I am making a humpty-dumpty argument....my bids mean what I want them to mean....but I think 4♦ is merely showing a powerful hand and not promising a control in the suit.

Over 4♦ by them, I think I'll bid 6♣ as a two way shot...it may make or it may induce a save.

I'll make the same call over 4♠, with less confidence.

And should partner bid 5♣ I will bid 6♣.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

  • Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,754
  • Joined: 2008-August-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 2011-November-21, 10:57

If 4H was available, i would bid that, if partner overcalled 5C, I would pass.

If it came round to me 5D P P I would be extremely unconfortable, but would probably pass.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper
0

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,341
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-November-21, 15:38

At the table, (I had the hearts) my LHO opened 3♦ in first seat green v red with AKQ10 to 8 so we bid 6♥ fairly comfortably. I believe his team mates were last seen checking him for a pulse. Other tables didn't have it so easy.

What do you open xx, x, AKQ10xxxx, xx first in green v red ? I'd be very tempted by 5♦.
0

#10 User is offline   xxhong 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: 2010-November-11

Posted 2011-November-21, 16:43

seems a normal 5D hand when white, you go down 3 usually when partner have no help.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-November-21, 15:38, said:

At the table, (I had the hearts) my LHO opened 3♦ in first seat green v red with AKQ10 to 8 so we bid 6♥ fairly comfortably. I believe his team mates were last seen checking him for a pulse. Other tables didn't have it so easy.

What do you open xx, x, AKQ10xxxx, xx first in green v red ? I'd be very tempted by 5♦.

0

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,853
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2011-November-22, 07:14

I agree with 5D although the last time I did this it achieved a poor score when the opps did not have a game. C'est la vie. Over 4D I am surprised none of our experts have discussed the possibility of doubling and converting 4S to 5C. This seems to me to be less unilateral than bidding 5C immediately.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-November-22, 07:25

I'd bid as the logic man. Not a default answer, mind you :)
0

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-November-22, 09:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-November-22, 07:14, said:

I agree with 5D although the last time I did this it achieved a poor score when the opps did not have a game. C'est la vie. Over 4D I am surprised none of our experts have discussed the possibility of doubling and converting 4S to 5C. This seems to me to be less unilateral than bidding 5C immediately.


It risks some scary things like 4D X 5D 5S, and 4D X AP when that is bad (depending on partners style), or partner doing something like jumping to 6S or trying for 6S via some slam try route, but I did consider it.

I think it should have more spade tolerance, one might want to bid that way with AKx AKx x AKxxxxx or that nature also if it showed that, or 2416, etc. I would prefer for it to be strong and more flexible hand type as I would not risk doubling with a stiff spade and this hand type.

This post has been edited by JLOGIC: 2011-November-22, 09:18

0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users