Do you take another call?
Sanity Check
#1
Posted 2011-November-18, 06:47
Do you take another call?
#2
Posted 2011-November-18, 07:19
I'd bid 3♠. (Not 4♠: if you have to ruff more than 2 diamond losers you'll be using the ♠ A K; I'd be more inclined to bid 4♠ holding:
♠ 9 7 4 2
♥ Q 5 4 2
♦ 3
♣ A K 4 2)
"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
#3
Posted 2011-November-18, 07:36
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#4
Posted 2011-November-18, 07:40
S2000magic, on 2011-November-18, 07:19, said:
If you want to ruff a third diamond you're going to need to ruff high.
On this hand, probably much depends on partner's diamond holding. Axxx or xxxx will be good; KQxx fair; KJxx shaky; QJxx bad. Are there methods to identify this - some sort of short suit game try? If partner knows I have the singleton diamond he can evaluate his hand much more accurately than on a generic game try like 3♠.
Also a heart honor in partner's hand will go a long way.
-gwnn
#5
Posted 2011-November-18, 08:16
#7
Posted 2011-November-18, 09:44
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#8
Posted 2011-November-18, 09:45
#9
Posted 2011-November-18, 09:53
mikeh, on 2011-November-18, 09:45, said:
So you are ready to pass over 2♣ with ♠Axxx♥Qxxx♦x♣xxxx ?
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#10
Posted 2011-November-18, 10:11
mikeh, on 2011-November-18, 09:45, said:
Every word is true, of course, in your first sentence. I wonder however, given OP's given style, what exactly "substantial extras" would be. Apparently you don't think that hand is substantial for the original pass.
#11
Posted 2011-November-18, 10:22
pooltuna, on 2011-November-18, 09:53, said:
Of course? If partner passes out 2C, he has some club length. I am going to lead my stiff diamond against 2C. I'm pretty thrilled with it. With Axxx Qxxx xxx xx I would not pas however. I am not convinced that that is a better hand thatn Axxx Qxxx x xxxx when they bid 2C on my right though. Having 4 small of RHOs suit is a real negative, they are almost certainly losers, partner probably has an honor there, and its probably wasted.
I mean give partner QJxx xx KQJxx Ax which is a damn good hand opposite the OP hand without any club wastage, and game has zero play. And don't say that the diamond honors are wasted, that is our source of tricks to cover all of our club and heart losers.
Ok, maybe unfair I gave partner no diamond ace. Lets give partner Qxxx Kx AQJxx Qx. Again, this is a fine hand, 14 points, 5-4-2-2 with the HK making our queen valuable. How do you like your chances in game on this hand? Well, we only have 3 top losers (2 clubs and a heart). But where are our winners? We have 1 heart winner, and 1 diamond winner. We are not going to take 8 trump tricks. Even if we score 2 diamond tricks, we are not going to take 7 trump tricks. We have to hope to score 6 trumps, and 3 diamonds... That requires 3-2 trumps, scoring 2 ruffs in some hand, picking up the DK, probably 4-3 diamonds, not getting trump promo'd ever (with LHO just pitching on the clubs, or ruffing in if he has a doubleton). For a white game.
I don't know what kind of hand you guys are expecting from partner. Game might be ok opposite some miracle hand but bidding again just seems truly awful to me.
#12
Posted 2011-November-18, 10:24
#13
Posted 2011-November-18, 10:32
pooltuna, on 2011-November-18, 09:53, said:
Yes
Just what kinds of hands do you think he could have where passing this rates to do badly?
Does my pass of 2♣ bar him?
Our club length strongly suggests pass, as does our diamond shortage. If he can't reopen, then we almost certainly need to be on defence...we may well have more clubs than they do and a small preponderance of the high cards, and great defence.
I know I am overly conservative, but a lot of players err on the opposite side...they think pass is a 4 letter word....well, it is, but not that kind.
As for my OP, I forgot we were a passed hand. I still pass, but my point shouldn't have been about our having substantial extras, as it would be were we an unpassed hand. My point is that partner has made the weakest bid he could....why do we think that our partially misfitting 9 count makes game good opposite an intelligent partner?
I suppose another way of looking at it is to think about the hand-types he'd have needed to bid 3♠.
We know he doesn't have a balanced 15-17 (no 1N). We know he doesn't have a 4=5 pointed hand with a decent 14 count (no 3♠). Just what are we playing him for? In pursuit of a nv game, where -50 or -100 rates to cost about as much as we gain should it make....pass seems clear.
#14
Posted 2011-November-18, 12:09
For instance, if I'm playing Precision, not only do I not know partner's diamond length (but it's probably longish, given the auction and my minors holding), but we're on 24 max - and if they suss out the crossruff at trick 1, it's 24 max with 3 or 4 trump to play with.
If openers could be 10-21, then it's a different question.
"...You may return to your desk." "Thank you." -- Serena vs. Mr. Arthur, "Paranormal Helpline", EGS:NP
#15
Posted 2011-November-18, 12:33
mycroft, on 2011-November-18, 12:09, said:
For instance, if I'm playing Precision, not only do I not know partner's diamond length (but it's probably longish, given the auction and my minors holding), but we're on 24 max - and if they suss out the crossruff at trick 1, it's 24 max with 3 or 4 trump to play with.
If openers could be 10-21, then it's a different question.
Opening one bids in first and second seats nonvul are minimum 10 HCP, maximum up to a standard 2♣ opener.
Typically, that means 10-21 HCP.
Otherwise, it is a standard system. It is not a strong club system.
Third seat opener is opening and rebidding knowing that he faces a hand with a maximum of 9 HCP. He also knows that partner is unlikely to have a 5 card major, as we frequently open weak 2 bids with 5 card suits in 1st and 2nd seats nonvul on 3-9 HCP.
If your question was what the criteria were for 3rd seat, it is sanity, knowing that partner has less than 10 HCP. His maximum for a one bid is anything that is not a 2♣ opening.
Mikeh correctly pointed out that by opening 1♦ partner denied having a strong (15-17) 1NT opening bid.
#16
Posted 2011-November-22, 07:22
JLOGIC, on 2011-November-18, 10:24, said:
There are a couple of LTC schemes. The one I know is Klinger's. You count 1 loser for each lack of A,K,Q in a long suit (3+) and 1 for lack of AK in a doubleton. This hand has
1 spade (lack of Q)
2 heart (lack of AK)
1 diamond (lack of A)
3 clubs (lack of AKQ)
---
7 losers
You can adjust for +1/2 loser due to the unsupported queen. Now, a 7-loser hand is a game bid opposite a sound opening and an 8-loser is an invite. Since this is a 3rd seat opener, an invite seems reasonable.
The method does not distinguish x/xxxx from xxxx/x in the minors, so yeah I guess you could call it inferior
#17
Posted 2011-November-22, 08:05
Whether you should invite therefore depends crucially on how sound your dbles are - if you would have at minimum an 8 count then partner can bid 3M more aggresively. If you would dble on 6 with both majors you are perhaps somewhat close to inviting. However, I dont like my stiff diamond very much.
Ill pass, but I dont feel strongly about it. Would expect it to work out badly some of the time.
#18
Posted 2011-November-27, 20:38
Vs a passed hand what is the point of opening 10-12 instead of 10-14 or even 10-15 if you open almost all ten count ? Its a really weak method IMO
Edit ive seen taht its only in 1st and 2nd seat so whats your 3rd seat Nt ?
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
#19
Posted 2011-November-28, 05:34
phil_20686, on 2011-November-22, 08:05, said:
I think opener should bid 3♠ with QJxx KJx AKxxx x. Even the Losing Trick Count would get that one right.
Jxxx Kxx KQx QJx looks like a 1♣ opening to me.

Help
