BBO Discussion Forums: fourth seat pre-empt? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

fourth seat pre-empt? 2-8-2-1 in pass-out seat

#1 User is offline   mb_dunedin 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 2011-April-19

Posted 2011-October-11, 05:55

Playing matchpoints, vulnerable vs non, you pick up :

♠ Q.J
♥ A.Q.10.8.7.5.4.3
♦ Q.7
♣ 9

and you're very surprised to see the auction begin pass-pass-pass.

1. What's your plan?

If you open 1H, then

2. What do you bid after [1S]-pass-[2S], and if RHO eventually bids 4S, what will you do?

3. What do you bid after [2NT]-pass-[3C], and if RHO eventually bids 5C, what will you do?

4. If you go no higher than 4H, are you happy to pass partner's double of 5C?
0

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,542
  • Joined: 2010-February-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 2011-October-11, 06:28

I open 3♥; partner knows this is a hand with 7 hearts that would have been a minimal 1♥ opener earlier in the auction.


Edit: Oops... sorry... I miscounted the hearts... I open 4♥ if I manage to count them correctly at the table...

This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2011-October-11, 08:33

0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-October-11, 07:39

I can think of more hands where the opponents are cold for game than the opposite, it looks a bit extreme with an 8 card suit, but passing doesn't look ridicoulous, against 25-35% of the opps I would pass.

If opening it is either 3♥ or 4♥, I think 4♥ will be less likelly to be doubled for take out, so that's what I'd do.

Knowing if opponents or partner have weak 2 suiters in the arsenal could be helpful
0

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2011-October-11, 08:29

IMO the best choices are pass or 4♥ Certainly this is an easy choice at IMPs, you go esp V. The MP decision is closer but may still be over 50% for a plus score at 4♥.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2011-October-11, 09:14

13 Pearson pts? :rolleyes:

Pretty sure I won't try 1H; Pass or 4H, dunno. Something bad will happen if I choose 3H.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users