BBO Discussion Forums: passed hand bidding with support - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

passed hand bidding with support

Poll: passed hand bidding with support (12 member(s) have cast votes)

yout bid

  1. double (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. 3 clubs (1 votes [8.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 8.33%

  3. 3 diamonds (7 votes [58.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 58.33%

  4. 3 hearts (2 votes [16.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 16.67%

  5. 3 spades (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. 4 clubs (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  7. 4 hearts (1 votes [8.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 8.33%

  8. can't stand my previous action (1 votes [8.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-October-10, 14:47

all vul you hold

♠A7xxxx
♥5xx
♦Jxx
♣A


you decide to pass this beautiful collection and it goes

pass-(pass)-1♥-2NT


what now?
0

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2009-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2011-October-10, 16:00

There are 14 cards. If I have a seventh spade I would always open. If it is 6331 I will describe a good heart raise.
0

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-10, 16:10

I really need to know which pip I am missing in hearts, but I will take a stab anyway.

Partner opened third seat, so I don't want to hang him. But, I do need to raise somehow.

When a third-seat Opener starts with a major and is offended by a 2NT overcall, partner should have 3♣ and 3♦ available as different than simply unusual-v-unusual, IMO. Rather, fit bids make more sense, of some variety. The most logical and easy to remember is something akin to whatever you use if you happen to use some variety of Bergen. For me, that would mean:

3♥ = minimal raise
3♦ = minimal constructive (8-ish)
3♣ = high constructive to limit (allows 3♦ return check)

The downside, though, to this strict approach is that it allows Advancer to screw everything up. So, I'd probably tighten the 3♣ meaning a tad and expand the 3♦ call accordingly to about 8-9 and 10-11, all "ish" of course.

Two Aces and a stiff looks great, though, as a fairly pure 11-count. The diamond Jack is a joker card, and the stiff Ace is poorly placed, with three small hearts much worse than four, especially with no body (even with 5-4-3). So, I'll try 3♣. If partner actually gets the chance to bid 3♦, I'll accept.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-October-11, 01:36

sorry, you are 6331, I counted space twice and always got 6 O_o
0

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,335
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2011-October-11, 01:59

3♦ constructive with ♠ although I'd have opened, if partner bids 3♥ or ♠ I'll bid 4.
0

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2011-October-11, 02:48

I'd show an invitational raise. It's hard to vote when we don't know what your methods are.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
1

#7 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2011-October-11, 09:04

View Postgnasher, on 2011-October-11, 02:48, said:

I'd show an invitational raise. It's hard to vote when we don't know what your methods are.


agree. If I was using unusual/unusual I'd be torn between 3♣ and 3♦ as this may play better in ♠ than ♥. the 6-2♠ will probably handle a bad trump split better than 5-3 ♥s and may even be better than 6-3 ♥s as the 6-3♥ may be able to setup the ♠ suit for tricks but unable to access them. Of course I may end up in a 6-1 3♠ contract while 4♥ is cold :)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2011-October-11, 17:36

partner had something like:

KQJ
A109xx
Qx
KJx

4 heart went 2 down doubled, 4 spades made on most bbo tables
0

#9 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-October-11, 19:48

Another win for opening 1N with a 5 card major.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

  • 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,002
  • Joined: 2010-July-08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2011-October-11, 20:19

I think I read on the forums once that one of the bids should be a fit bid by a passed hand for S+H in this auction, which made a lot of sense.
0

#11 User is offline   han 

  • Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,797
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 2011-October-13, 10:45

3D, will pass 3H.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users