Playing matchpoints, vulnerable vs non, you pick up :
♠ Q.J
♥ A.Q.10.8.7.5.4.3
♦ Q.7
♣ 9
and you're very surprised to see the auction begin pass-pass-pass.
1. What's your plan?
If you open 1H, then
2. What do you bid after [1S]-pass-[2S], and if RHO eventually bids 4S, what will you do?
3. What do you bid after [2NT]-pass-[3C], and if RHO eventually bids 5C, what will you do?
4. If you go no higher than 4H, are you happy to pass partner's double of 5C?
Page 1 of 1
fourth seat pre-empt? 2-8-2-1 in pass-out seat
#2
Posted 2011-October-11, 06:28
I open 3♥; partner knows this is a hand with 7 hearts that would have been a minimal 1♥ opener earlier in the auction.
Edit: Oops... sorry... I miscounted the hearts... I open 4♥ if I manage to count them correctly at the table...
Edit: Oops... sorry... I miscounted the hearts... I open 4♥ if I manage to count them correctly at the table...
This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2011-October-11, 08:33
#3
Posted 2011-October-11, 07:39
I can think of more hands where the opponents are cold for game than the opposite, it looks a bit extreme with an 8 card suit, but passing doesn't look ridicoulous, against 25-35% of the opps I would pass.
If opening it is either 3♥ or 4♥, I think 4♥ will be less likelly to be doubled for take out, so that's what I'd do.
Knowing if opponents or partner have weak 2 suiters in the arsenal could be helpful
If opening it is either 3♥ or 4♥, I think 4♥ will be less likelly to be doubled for take out, so that's what I'd do.
Knowing if opponents or partner have weak 2 suiters in the arsenal could be helpful
#4
Posted 2011-October-11, 08:29
IMO the best choices are pass or 4♥ Certainly this is an easy choice at IMPs, you go esp V. The MP decision is closer but may still be over 50% for a plus score at 4♥.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#5
Posted 2011-October-11, 09:14
13 Pearson pts?
Pretty sure I won't try 1H; Pass or 4H, dunno. Something bad will happen if I choose 3H.
Pretty sure I won't try 1H; Pass or 4H, dunno. Something bad will happen if I choose 3H.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
Page 1 of 1

Help
