Polish club 1d - 2c alert or not
#42
Posted 2004-October-14, 11:24
My mother taught me years ago, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. So I will say this.. topflight, abalucy and stars must all let not the greatest players in... how do I know? I am a member of all three... if they will let me in how high can their standards really be... :-)
Ben
#44
Posted 2004-October-14, 11:43
#45
Posted 2004-October-14, 12:01
The_Hog, on Oct 10 2004, 11:03 PM, said:
I don't believe you. If you use the definition that a world class player plays in international competition, then a world class player will have a basic knowledge of Polish Club because he/she will frequently play against it. Perhaps your "world class" players are not world class after all?
For once in a while I have to disagree with Ron here
Among some examples of the definition of "World Class" falls Enzo Riolo (RIOLO937 on BBO), who won European Championships some 20 years ago in a team where was playing also the young Lauria.
I know him personally, and he does not know anymore many systems outside of those in use in italy (Neapolitan/Blue/Roman Clubs, Precision, Italian 4 card and 5 card major, some canapè systems).
He actually knows little even of the most used SAYC gadgets as well as 2/1 various styles, let alone Polish club.
I do believe that one may remain of World Class even if he does not keep up to date with modern bidding theory, but of course this relates to the definition of "World Class" term.
Still, I believe my argument is consistent with the definition of "World Class" given i the BBO guidelines though.
------------------
Just to add an analogy with chess: I believe system knowledge in bridge is akin to opening knowledge in chess.
It certainly consitutes quite an advantage, and most world class players have a good opening knowledge.
Yet, there are cases of great players who have switched to playing systems where they do not fight for the slightest theoretical opening advantage, but they simply try to reach a "normal" position where their superior judgement/flair will play its role.
They do not overload memory with too many opening variants but they save energy for the middlegame and endgame.
#46
Posted 2004-October-15, 12:05
Quote
2♣ 2♥ 3♣ Pass
Pass 3NT Pass Pass
Pass
Result: 3NT -2
Facts:
1) opps not alert 1♦ bid, althought it is limited to 11-18HCP and can hold longer suit than ♦
2) opps not alert 2♣ bid, althought it can be canape and when it is canape it is 11-15HCP, which is actually
3) Information that E/W pair play WJ2000 N/S got after bidding is finished, S player isn't familiar with WJ2000
4) N/S apealed
5) director leave reached result
Dillema's :
1) If opening bid include some specific hand like Canape, alert or not
2) If bid include or exclude some specific type of hand, alert or not
3) If previous is true, what is the sanction vs that players and what about their oponents
With Regards, Dragan
Pls folk's. I set this TOPIC's to we discuss one opening bid and one sequence bid's in polish club system. Let we pls discuss about this.
If you want to discuss about BBO club's, pls open such TOPICS.
Dragan.
#47
Posted 2004-October-15, 14:57
I think I admire your persistence, but am not sure.
In any system, pick one, how do you bid a hand where you hold 5 clubs and 4 diamonds, and for the sake of argument, have 2-2 in majors and hold a total of 13 pts?
Jola
#48
Posted 2004-October-15, 16:36
doofik, on Oct 15 2004, 03:57 PM, said:
I think I admire your persistence, but am not sure.
I'm sure.
Every single person who has replied has said that neither 1♦ nor 2♣ needs to be alerted. We've pointed out sites, directors, official information from associations, and examples of SAYC making the exact same bids. We have also pointed out that 1♦ is not guaranteed unbalanced in Polish Club, and virtually every system allows you to open 1♦ with four diamonds and five clubs. And we've gone over this for a month.
But somehow, he thinks if he brings it up yet again somebody, somewhere, might agree with him.
This is hopeless.
#49
Posted 2004-October-15, 19:25
1) opps not alert 1♦ bid, althought it is limited to 11-18HCP and can hold longer suit than ♦
You have been told by at least 4 posters that this comment is incorrect and yet you persist in making it
2) opps not alert 2♣ bid, althought it can be canape and when it is canape it is 11-15HCP, which is actually
So what? Same for many in 2/1 or Sayc or Acol. Again you have been told this.
3) Information that E/W pair play WJ2000 N/S got after bidding is finished, S player isn't familiar with WJ2000
Yes they should have said at the start but there was no damage. Again you were told this. Incidentally, did you tell them what system you were playing?
4) N/S apealed
Totally fatuous appeal. In a competition you would lose your deposit.
5) director leave reached result
Correctly so. Deposit forfeited and North South warned not to waste the appeal committee's time.
Penultimate fact:
Poor bidding by North and South led to their bad result. Why did Nth double rather than bid 1S? Is AJT to 5 not a biddable suit for Nth? Why did Sth think that Qx was a stopper. Again you have been told this by numerous people.
Final fact:
This is getting boring.
#50
Posted 2004-October-16, 02:15
Exuse me, but I can accept only apsolutic statement only from WBF directors, not from anonymous( Especially not from one with antypathy)
Apealing to director's decision is quite normal. Jury can accept it or not. Furthermore if jury think that apeal is not correct, money can be holded.
I'am the one who think that 1d(unbalance) and 1d-2c(could be canape) should be alerted. I talk about this problem with polish players and find divided opinion's.
#51
Posted 2004-October-16, 02:49
doofik, on Oct 15 2004, 08:57 PM, said:
Sorry, but in French standard you simply bid 1C with the hand you
mentioned. Which I find much more sane, unless you like
playing in a 4-2 fit. In fact, I so much abhor opening 1D with
this hand that if I were director in the above case I might give
reason to Dragan simply because I cannot stand the 1D opener
That said, I do know that many players (perhaps a majority??)
are delusional enough to open 1D and then rebid 2C with 4-5
in the minors, so it is obvious that one should not alert.
nikos
#52
Posted 2004-October-16, 02:51
Again Ron your antypathy to me do not allow you to read last latter. If you carefully read, you should notice : I ask to we discuss about my dillema's, not about BBO club's. If it is case that my dillema's bore someone, let he pls do not read this TOPIC.
You told us your opinion. Why you repeat the same? Do you believe that infinitely repeating statement make statement true ?
Your logic system use false induction method. If something is true for 1,2,3,4 we can't conclude that it is always true. If you use false assumptions, you can canclude whatever you want. Im my country we call it demagogy.
#53
Posted 2004-October-16, 03:06
doofik, on Oct 15 2004, 03:57 PM, said:
Jola
With 5c - 4d you can open always 1c.
your pd can than bid:
a. 1d -
b. 1h/s/1nt
c. 2c
if he bid a. with 16+ you bid 3d, with 16- you bid 2d
if he bid b.
with 16+ you bid 2d
with 16- you bid 2c (1nt rare) or pass in case 1nt bid. If pd isn't minimal he will bid once more so you can show your 4d
case c. is simply
:-)
#54
Posted 2004-October-16, 06:27
With 5c - 4d you can open always 1c.
your pd can than bid:
a. 1d -
b. 1h/s/1nt
c. 2c
if he bid a. with 16+ you bid 3d, with 16- you bid 2d.
And again note that you are TOTALLY INCORRECT.
In PC 1C 1M 2D shows 19+ with a 3 card fit or in other versions 18+ natural game force. Please don't make generalisations when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. As Doofik says - at least read the 1C and 1D openings.
#55
Posted 2004-October-16, 06:47
Before you make certain suggestions, I'd ask you to please read at least 1♣ and the 1♦ openings in Polish Club system. Only after that can we get into a meaningful discussion.
To Everyone Else,
I don't know the SEF, however, I'd expect an alert and an explanation if something 'untoward' is bid. How's that for peace on Earth?
Jola
#56
Posted 2004-October-16, 07:22
I think his persistence has to do with his antipathy of Polish Club.
I would open 1♦ playing SAYC or Acol or Polish Club or whatever other natural system I might be playing. (Yes PC is natural, in fact more so than SAYC).
Nikos, you say that in French Standard you open 1♣ and then rebid 2♣. I respect the opinion of the French but I think it is terrible.
Dragan says that if partner bids once more you can show your diamonds. Wrong! Are you ready to bid 3♦ with a minimum?
#57
Posted 2004-October-17, 14:07
My answer to Jola is related to Natural based system's. Where I said that answer is related with WJ ? That can conclude everyone with basic knowledge of WJ.
I hope other's will read carefull.
IF YOU USE FALSE ASSYMPTIONS YOU CAN PROVE EVERYTHING. Using red colours will not make some statements true.
Pls, I started this TOPIC. If you do not like my TOPIC, simply do not answer and TOPIC will go to the bottom of the stack.
#58
Posted 2004-October-17, 16:04
open 1C. With 2-2-4-5 they rebid 1NT. With 1-3-4-5 they
either rebid 1NT or 2C. There are even some revolutionaries
who may raise the major if partner bids a major and they
happen to have 3 cards there with 1345 or 3145.
As I said, there is nothing more terrible than playing in 4-2 fit
after 1D-1M/2C-2D [where opener
is 4-5 minors but opened a psychic 1D].
Nikos
PS I use the word 'psychic' as a tribute to (I guess) Kaplan.
#59
Posted 2004-October-18, 01:33
You had absolutely right. Point is : in all natural based systems with 5c-4d you open 1c.
#60
Posted 2004-October-18, 02:53
With weak C and decent Ds in natural based systems with 5c-4d you can certainly open 1D.

Help
