BBO Discussion Forums: Polish club - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polish club 1d - 2c alert or not

#1 User is offline   Dragan 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 2004-September-25

Posted 2004-September-26, 06:21

Sat Sep 25 01:34 pm CDT ABALUCY Pairs IMP Show boards #594 Pairs ABALUCY Sat Swiss w Calabres

Scoring: IMP


Bidding:
E S W N
1♦ Pass Pass X
2♣ 2♥ 3♣ Pass
Pass 3NT Pass Pass
Pass

Result: 3NT -2

Facts:
1) opps not alert 1♦ bid, althought it is limited to 11-18HCP and can hold longer suit than ♦
2) opps not alert 2♣ bid, althought it can be canape and when it is canape it is 11-15HCP, which is actually
3) Information that E/W pair play WJ2000 N/S got after bidding is finished, S player isn't familiar with WJ2000
4) N/S apealed
5) director leave reached result

Dillema's :
1) If opening bid include some specific hand like Canape, alert or not
2) If bid include or exclude some specific type of hand, alert or not
3) If previous is true, what is the sanction vs that players and what about their oponents

With Regards, Dragan

P.S. link to the hand http://online.bridgebase.com/cgi-bin/history.pl?...00&p=2004-09-25

time 18:39
0

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-September-26, 07:42

Number of separate issues that need to be considered here:

First and foremost: You were playing in Abalucy, which has well published requirements regarding disclosure. In particular, please look at the following quote from the Abalucy Alert requirements:

"AbaLucy tournaments will REQUIRE each pair to give brief explanation of carding and system upon arrival at new table AND/OR have a convention card available from the BBO Conv Card facility. Currently there are no BBO director tools available to assign penalties for such offenses, however players and directors will be encouraged to complete a complaint form on the AbaLucy website. Offenders will have a record and notes added to the AbaLucy database, repeat offenders will be dealt with accordingly."

Reading this, it seems clear a failure to disclose in advance that a pair is playing Polish Club/WJ 200 is grounds for adjustment. Furthermore, the appropriate course of action is clearly identified: This issue SHOULD be raised with Abalucy's administrator's.

The second issue is whether or not either pair deserves an adjusted score:

From my perspective, the failure to alert is "subsequent but not consequent" to the damage. This is a fancy way of saying that the opponent's failure to alert happened before you screwed up, but didn't cause your bad score.

1. Any number of bidding systems including many"standard" methods prefer a 1♦ opening with the East hand. An advanced+ player should know this. Equally significant, an advanced+ player should be familiar with the basics of WJ2000 and Polish club.

2. I'm very sorry that your methods don't allow you to find your 8 card Spade fit. I'm equally sorry that South believed that a quack rich 10 count with Qx as a stopper in the opponent's bid and raised suit is sufficient to FORCE to 2NT opposite partner's balancing double.

In short, I don't see how your bad result can said to be a result of the failure to alert 1♦.

Ruling:

Result stands
Proceedural penalty for the opponents
Alderaan delenda est
0

#3 User is offline   Dragan 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 2004-September-25

Posted 2004-September-26, 09:11

1) it is absolutely clear: There are no protect for your own bad bidding or playing. So I also think that 3nt-2 should stay to N/S.

2) Point is: in actuall example 1d-p-p-x-2c, opener bid 11-15HCP, 4d+5c (With 5c and 15+HCP's they open 1c). That is quite unusual for players who are not very familiar with WJ2000; That was hiden to opps. Is that bridge ?

3) Alert procedure use to warn me to ask if I want to entry in auction or when opps finish auction to ask of meanings of bid's and make plan of defence. Suppouse I do not knew opps's system and opps nothing alert - I'am not warned. That is big foul.

4) There are so mouch Polish players, furthemore excellent players, but whole world is little bit larger, and they must learn to alert exotic's from polish club.

5) I set up same example at google bridge group so you can follow there what's happen if you are interested.

:)

Dragan
0

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-September-26, 09:31

Dragan, on Sep 26 2004, 06:11 PM, said:

2) Point is: in actuall example 1d-p-p-x-2c, opener bid 11-15HCP, 4d+5c (With 5c and 15+HCP's they open 1c). That is quite unusual for players who are not very familiar with WJ2000; That was hiden to opps. Is that bridge ?

Everyone is in agreement that the opponents should receive a proceedural penalty for failing to alert that they are playing WJ2000. Quite honestly, the entire rest of your example is largely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. [One very important point that needs to be considered... Did the opponents have a convention card posted?]

With this said and done:

1. Advanced+ players should know the basics of WJ2000. Novices deserve extra potection, but if you are playing in an "elite" turnament like Abalucy, you don't get to claim this defense.

2. As Henk noted on rec.games.bridge and I noted here: A 1♦ opening is standard for most 5 card major systems. This is not an example where the pponent's failure to alert their 1♦ opening caused any damage.
Alderaan delenda est
0

#5 User is offline   Dragan 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 2004-September-25

Posted 2004-September-26, 13:54

1) statement "Advanced+ players should know the basics of WJ2000" is false. Prove: I can tell You names of participant's of Euro 2004 which do not knew anything about WJ (escpecialy sequence 1d p p x 2c ) ? Or if you want: let we make poll here in ABALUCY set of player's about their knowledge of WJ and this sequence ?
2) I like to hear solution how I should found spade fit in this auction...that is very interesting.

With Regards, Dragan
0

#6 User is offline   guggie 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 147
  • Joined: 2004-April-30

Posted 2004-September-26, 14:42

What about 1♦-pass-pass-1♠? If p can manage a reply, you can give it another push.
0

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-September-26, 15:17

Dragan, on Sep 26 2004, 10:54 PM, said:


>1) statement "Advanced+ players should know the basics of WJ2000"
>is false. Prove: I can tell You names of participant's of Euro 2004 which
>do not knew anything about WJ (escpecialy sequence 1d p p x 2c ) ?

Emphasis on the word should... There are plenty of ignorant folks out there, however, they get little sympathy if they title themselves experts.

>Or if you want: let we make poll here in ABALUCY set of player's about their
>knowledge of WJ and this sequence ?

>2) I like to hear solution how I should found spade fit in this auction...
>that is very interesting.

A 1♠ bid is a good start.

You have a 7 loser hand and a 5=3=3=2 shape. Neither feature excites me that much. so I'm not too worried about starting with a weakish sounding bid.
Alderaan delenda est
0

#8 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-September-26, 18:18

! agree totally with Richard. Furthermore Dragan has made some errors in his description of WJ. The 1D opening can only be canape in C, not in any other suit as suggested by Dragan. Many pairs would open 1D on this hand, (I am not debating the merits or otherwise of doing so). Yes, I would impose a procedural penalty for failing to alert

Furthermore a poll in Abalucy proves nothing; as Richard says there are a lot of ignoramuses out there. If you play a lot on line I believe you have an obligation to learn a little about the most common systems played, (Acol, Sayc, 2/1, WJ).

Regarding finding your S contract - a 1S bid is pretty obvious on the North hand.

Finally, 3N was played by North, right? Is it not ice cold? Would not any real bridge player have dropped the stiff K of S after the opening bid?

Ron
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#9 User is offline   peefco 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 2003-December-07

Posted 2004-September-26, 22:49



Bidding:
E S W N
1♦ Pass Pass X
2♣ 2♥ 3♣ Pass
Pass 3NT Pass Pass
Pass

Does anyone would have any problem with alerting this hand ?

For me that what happend in Abalucy Swiss/Calabres is very obvious. Dragan lost the board and was trying to win useing director, but unfortunatelly Calabres was not very useful :ph34r:. I egree with Luis in 100%, if I was hosting this tourney my decision would be exactly the same.

In his next post Dragan says :

"4) There are so mouch Polish players, furthemore excellent players, but whole world is little bit larger, and they must learn to alert exotic's from polish club."

Anytime I log in to BBO during the daytime in Poland 10%-20% BBO users are Polish, so maybe its not a bad idea to learn about opening bids in Polish Club due most of them play this system. Its just 5 bids.... let say 2 (1!C and 1!D).... let say 1 (1!c)
0

#10 User is offline   jtfanclub 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,937
  • Joined: 2004-June-05

Posted 2004-September-26, 23:23

Dragan, on Sep 26 2004, 07:21 AM, said:

Facts:
1) opps not alert 1♦ bid, althought it is limited to 11-18HCP and can hold longer suit than ♦

I play a Precision system in which 1♦ is limited to 11-15 HCP, 4+ diamonds, may have longer clubs. I wrote to the ACBL and asked if I should alert this. The answer was no. The definition of this sequence is the same in his and mine, and mine should not be alerted, therefore his shouldn't be alerted. I don't know if there are special rules in ABA Lucy, but good luck on getting satisfaction in an ordinary tournament.

If they didn't have a convention card, that's a procedural penalty. If they did have a card, then they did nothing wrong.
0

#11 User is offline   Gerardo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 2,524
  • Joined: 2003-February-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Posted 2004-September-26, 23:51

BBO is not ACBL land, as far as I know, so ACBL is not the ultimate authority.

Nothing else to see here, agree on the "no alert needed" answer.

#12 User is offline   SirSatai 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 2004-August-31

Posted 2004-September-27, 02:07

ok here is another board about Dragan #241 pairs board 5 25/september same bid problem bye dragan
and i did not accept adjusment for him he wants A= and also we have got little bid argument centely please check hand and add your ideas if i made a mistakes i want to learn correct
thanks
0

#13 User is offline   Dragan 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 2004-September-25

Posted 2004-September-27, 02:52

:)

1* I do not ask to someone protect my bad bidding/play. I like to respect instutution of director. I just ask to we punish someone who made foul, same as in other sports. It is related also on me.

2* If you ask polish club player what is 1d almost all will say that it is natural 4+card d. But, if you carefully read book of Jannem "WJ2000" you will notice that it is also UNBALANCE HAND.

3* I see, I'am minority here, but look at google group same discussion and notice opinion of David Stevenson about WJ. I suppuse You knew who is that gentleman.

4* Seems all here try to find my mistakes. I'am greatfull for that, since we learn on mistakes.

With Regards, Dragan
0

#14 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-September-27, 04:18

Yes I know Stevenson. I also read his post and it does not support your view.
1D does not have to be unbalanced Dragan. A 5332 with 5D in the 11-14 range opens 1D. Also in some older versions, and in the new WJ2005 1D is bid on a 4 card suit. In fact with a balanced hand in the 11-14 range a 1C opening denies 4D in Matula's version and also in WJ2005.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#15 User is offline   Gerben47 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 428
  • Joined: 2003-October-27

Posted 2004-September-27, 05:36

About the bidding: I would not double but bid 1♠.

The problem is that there is no world standard bidding system. WJ2000 1♦ is a natural opening bid and does not need an alert, and neither does a SAYC 1♦ which can be on 3 small, which would surprise many players around the world, or Acol 1♦ that denies a balanced hand outside NT range with 4♦+4M.
There are even different ways of playing this in Poland.

Same with 2♣. This is a NATURAL bid, shows at least 4 cards in the bid suit and not forcing. This is not special at all.

However the inferences are not the same in every system. I bet they are different for many different systems. Usually irrelevant in the auction, they should not be alerted but if a different 'basic system' is shown on the CC (for example WJ2000) and you don't know this system, you should ask about natural bids too if you need to know.

Conclusion:

WRONG: Adv players should know WJ2000
RIGHT: Adv players should know to ask about nat. sequences if they really need to know if unfamiliar with opps system
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
0

#16 User is offline   Dragan 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 2004-September-25

Posted 2004-September-27, 13:46

Only for those who can read carefull and wish to understand.

Pls look previous discussing...and now read this...

"richard willey wrote

>1. Any number of bidding systems including many"standard" methods
>prefer a 1D opening with the East hand. An advanced+ player should
>know this. Equally significant, an advanced+ player should be familiar
>with the basics of WJ2000 and Polish club.

That's a hell of a statement, and makes me wonder what level I am.

I do not even know the opening bids in WJ2000, which I have never ever
played against.

Is Abalucy limited to players from some geographical area?

--
David Stevenson Bridge RTFLB Cats Railways /\ /\
Liverpool, England, UK Fax: +44 870 055 7697 @ @
<bridge2@blakjak.com> ICQ 20039682 bluejak on OKB =( + )=
Bridgepage: http://blakjak.com/brg_menu.htm ~
Post a follow-up to this message

"

CONCLUDE ALONE. No comment.

Dragan
0

#17 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-September-27, 14:16

Dragan, on Sep 27 2004, 10:46 PM, said:

Only for those who can read carefull and wish to understand.

Pls look previous discussing...and now read this...

"richard willey wrote

>1. Any number of bidding systems including many"standard" methods
>prefer a 1D opening with the East hand. An advanced+ player should
>know this. Equally significant, an advanced+ player should be familiar
>with the basics of WJ2000 and Polish club.

  That's a hell of a statement, and makes me wonder what level I am.

  I do not even know the opening bids in WJ2000, which I have never ever
played against.

  Is Abalucy limited to players from some geographical area?

--
David Stevenson              Bridge  RTFLB  Cats  Railways    /\ /\
Liverpool, England, UK        Fax: +44 870 055 7697              @ @
<bridge2@blakjak.com>        ICQ 20039682    bluejak on OKB  =( + )=
            Bridgepage:        http://blakjak.com/brg_menu.htm      ~
Post a follow-up to this message

"

CONCLUDE ALONE.  No comment.

Dragan


Good for you, Dragan. You've found an expert level player who doesn't know WJ2000. I can name quite a few others. However, that doesn't detract from the main point:

Strong players are expected to familiarize themselves with those methods in common use in their playing environment. For what its worth, the ACBL convention charts used to contain an explicit label to this effect.

David Stevenson happens to play almost exclusively in Great Britain and rarely plays online. However, if you continue further in the rec.games.bridge thread, he makes the following comment: "Well, I have never played against Polish Club that I remember, though at least I have a fair idea of the basics."

Note the following:

(A) Stevenson has never once played against Polish Club
(B) He still knows the basics of the system

I don't consider this a very convincing example why advanced+ level players, competing in a playing environment where Polish Club is easily one of the five most popular methods being used, have a right to complain about not recieving an adjustment to compensate for their inferior bidding/play...

Furthermore, I have yet to see a single posting that supports the position that you should receive an adjustment
Alderaan delenda est
0

#18 User is offline   doofik 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 156
  • Joined: 2003-November-18

Posted 2004-September-27, 15:16

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth as Polish Club or WJ2000 is my system of choice.

1♦ is one of many hands but it certainly promises 4+ in diamonds. With some partners I play 1♦ as 11-17 and with others 11-21. The latter always gets an alert.

The rest of the auction in this post is standard.

I've made it a point of announcing the system at any table I happen to be playing in but I refuse to respond to inquiries about unalerted bids which are standard. I keep advising my opponents "no alert=standard". And yes, I'm ethical enough to alert anything that's conventional.

The bidding example that Dragan brought up would be the same in SAYC, 2/1, and I'll presume that Dragan is familiar with those. So when a bid is standard, why should opps alert?

Jola
0

#19 User is offline   jtfanclub 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,937
  • Joined: 2004-June-05

Posted 2004-September-27, 15:52

Gerardo, on Sep 27 2004, 12:51 AM, said:

BBO is not ACBL land, as far as I know, so ACBL is not the ultimate authority.

Nothing else to see here, agree on the "no alert needed" answer.

If I don't alert something that the ACBL, WBF, or any other major organization says should not be alerted, and the director gives me a penalty for not alerting it, I will be, to put it politely, upset.
0

#20 User is offline   Gerardo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 2,524
  • Joined: 2003-February-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Posted 2004-September-27, 21:37

jtfanclub, on Sep 27 2004, 06:52 PM, said:

Gerardo, on Sep 27 2004, 12:51 AM, said:

BBO is not ACBL land, as far as I know, so ACBL is not the ultimate authority.

Nothing else to see here, agree on the "no alert needed" answer.

If I don't alert something that the ACBL, WBF, or any other major organization says should not be alerted, and the director gives me a penalty for not alerting it, I will be, to put it politely, upset.

It depends on the Conditions of Contest.
I think I remember yo have to alert Stayman in some (A(ustralian)BF? May be wrong)
If you play under those CoC, you don't alert, and you're penalized, why should you be upset?
What I say is, if there are no specified CoC, that's dangerous in itself because it means rules on the fly, BUT ACBL CoC do NOT apply by default, which I understood you meant. Sorry if that is not the case.

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users