BBO Discussion Forums: Solomon Cup Finals - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Solomon Cup Finals

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-July-11, 14:56

My team:

Meyer Kotkin (guymath), Ethan Kotkin (bbum3)[Meyer's 21 year old son], Daisy Goecker, Jane Segal, John Marks and myself,

will be playing in the Solomon Cup Finals (Philadelphia Unit's annual team competition) this Wednesday night at 7:30pm Eastern Daylight Time against Marty Rabinowitz's team:

Marty Rabinowitz (martyrab), Rick Rowland (rickrow), Howie Cohen, Luis Pietri and Corey Krantz.

The match, which will be on BBO Vugraph, will be 28 boards played in two 14 board halves.

You are all invited to watch, cheer, boo, have a few laughs, and perhaps see some good bridge. I am told that there will be some commentators on the Vugraph.

The match will be live at Jane Segal's home in Villanova, Pennsylvania (USA). We are having dinner at 6:30 with the match to follow at 7:30 sharp.

The odds makers have installed Marty's team as a 14-IMP favorite (the odds makers being me). But we pulled off an upset in the semifinals to get to the finals, and we beat Marty's team narrowly in the Round-Robin portion of this event earlier this year, so anything is possible.

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:00

GL
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 16:31

Rick is in my Fantasy Baseball League and if the match goes as his season has, you are a cinch.

I'll tune in, sounds like fun.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-12, 12:09

Were the Solomon teams flighted this year? I know this has been the case in years past as I have had friends on Flight C teams a few years ago. (I am a former resident of South Jersey.)

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2011-July-12, 12:15

View Postjh51, on 2011-July-12, 12:09, said:

Were the Solomon teams flighted this year? I know this has been the case in years past as I have had friends on Flight C teams a few years ago. (I am a former resident of South Jersey.)

Yes. There were three flights.

For results, go to the Philadelphia Contract Bridge Association (PCBA) website which can be found at http://www.philadelphiabridge.info/

#6 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-12, 12:29

View PostArtK78, on 2011-July-12, 12:15, said:

Yes. There were three flights.

For results, go to the Philadelphia Contract Bridge Association (PCBA) website which can be found at http://www.philadelphiabridge.info/

Thanks. Looking at the rosters I see that I have friends and former partners on all of the C teams and one of the B teams.

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-12, 12:34

Thanks for announcing this and broadcasting this via BBO

May a good time be had by all.

What do the logistics look like?

For example, is everyone bringing their own laptop?
How are you working seating? (Are you seating tables together? Alternatively, are you seating Easts in one area, West's in another?)
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2011-July-12, 13:34

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-July-12, 12:34, said:

Thanks for announcing this and broadcasting this via BBO

May a good time be had by all.

What do the logistics look like?

For example, is everyone bringing their own laptop?
How are you working seating? (Are you seating tables together? Alternatively, are you seating Easts in one area, West's in another?)

For the most part, we are playing the match in the same manner that we have played every other match. We are playing in the home of my teammate, Jane Segal, in Villanova, PA. One room is the dining room, and the other room is the living room. There is a small library/television room separating the two playing areas. This would not be ideal for a top-level match, but for an event like this where we are all friends (but also fierce competitors) it is fine.

We are playing with real cards on a real table with bidding boxes and no screens (how 20th century!). Except for the VuGraph, everything is done in a very informal manner.

There will be a VuGraph operator with a laptop in each room recording the bidding and play at each table. I have provided the event organizer with a copy of my convention cards and some system notes for my two partners in the event, and I trust that the other players are doing the same. The VuGraph operators will have access to this information so that they can explain the calls when required. We have been instructed to provide explanations to the VuGraph operators upon request.

The boards are being preduplicated and will be played in sequence from 1 through 28 simultaneously in both rooms. The match will be 28 boards in length played in two 14-board halves.

I was told that one of the opponent's players - Luis Pietri - may not be able to play an entire 14 board half. If that is the case, there will be a change in that partnership in mid-half.

I understand that there will be a number of local experts providing commentary on VuGraph and the possibility that they will be joined by one or two nationally/internationally known experts.

Our opps have seating rights. Whether they choose to exercise them or not is up to them. My team has a routine which we have been following for the last several matches when all 6 of us have been able to play. For the first half Meyer Kotkin and Ethan Kotkin (Meyer's son) will be playing NS in the living room and I will be playing with Daisy Goecker EW in the dining room. In the second half I will be playing with Meyer Kotkin NS in the living room and Jane Segal will be playing with John Marks EW in the dining room. Our opps can sit around us in any way they see fit. The compass directions may change but I believe that they are accurate.

If our opps seat themselves the way they did the last time we played against them, in the first half Howie Cohen and Luis Pietri will face Daisy Goecker and me while Marty Rabinowitz and Rick Rowland will play against Kotkin/Kotkin. In the second half Howie Cohen and Corey Krantz will face Jane Segal and John Marks while Marty Rabinowitz and Rick Rowland will play against Meyer Kotkin and me.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-12, 23:43

Good luck m8 ;)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users