BBO Discussion Forums: 1NT:2NT Puppet - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT:2NT Puppet

#1 User is offline   MickyB 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,290
  • Joined: 2004-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 2010-November-18, 00:01

I am interested in continuations over 1NT:2NT and how it affects continuations over 1NT:2C. Does anyone know how Meckwell play it?

Thanks
0

#2 User is offline   downagain 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: 2005-April-03

Posted 2010-November-18, 00:12

3♣ = no 5M
3♦ = (31)(54)
3♥ = 4♠
3♠ = 4♥
3N = To Play
3M = 5M
0

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,247
  • Joined: 2010-October-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 2010-November-18, 05:42

View Postdownagain, on 2010-November-18, 00:12, said:

 3♣ = no 5M
3♦ = (31)(54)
3♥ = 4♠
3♠ = 4♥
3N = To Play
3M = 5M


side issue request:

How did you get the proper "spacing" in your post?

Wait... I see something now in the "copy" of your reply :
[indent]..... in front of 3♦

... but I don't know how that [indent] function works ??

Edit: I now see [indent] ... and ... [ /indent ] right behind "to play" .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .
0

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,942
  • Joined: 2005-January-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cologne, Germany
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-18, 05:55

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2010-November-18, 05:42, said:

side issue request:

How did you get the proper "spacing" in your post?

Wait... I see something now in the "copy" of your reply :
[indent]..... in front of 3♦

... but I don't know how that [indent] function works ??


When you are writing a post, there is a sneaky little button with a question mark in a blue circle, in the same row as the "other styles" and "fonts" drop-downs.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell
0

#5 User is offline   downagain 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: 2005-April-03

Posted 2010-November-18, 05:56

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2010-November-18, 05:42, said:

side issue request:

How did you get the proper "spacing" in your post?

Wait... I see something now in the "copy" of your reply :
[indent]..... in front of 3♦

... but I don't know how that [indent] function works ??


You should see the indent buttons at the right when you are writing a post: Posted Image and Posted Image (next to the indent buttons, you have the allign buttons)


0

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,247
  • Joined: 2010-October-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 2010-November-18, 06:11

View Postdownagain, on 2010-November-18, 00:12, said:

3♣ = no 5M
3♦ = (31)(54)
3♥ = 4♠
3♠ = 4♥
3N = To Play
3M = 5M


I think I see how to "indent" now.
I think I see how to "indent" now.


But another issue: I wasn't able to use this "indent" function to work when I tried to EDIT my previous post.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .
0

#7 User is offline   MickyB 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,290
  • Joined: 2004-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 2010-November-18, 06:41

Was pleased to see so many replies :P

I assume 4-4 majors goes through 2C Stayman so opener doesn't have to disclose whether he has four hearts or not when you go through puppet? What is 1N:2C, 2M:3N?
0

#8 User is offline   downagain 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: 2005-April-03

Posted 2010-November-18, 06:56

View PostMickyB, on 2010-November-18, 06:41, said:

I assume 4-4 majors goes through 2C Stayman so opener doesn't have to disclose whether he has four hearts or not when you go through puppet? What is 1N:2C, 2M:3N?

Yes, they use stayman with 4-4 majors.

I have seen them using both 2♣ and 2N with only 1 major. Maybe they use 2N with 4-3 majors.. to find a possible 5-3 fit.. but I haven't verified that. 

1N-2♣ // 2M-3N shows 4OM. (but if the previous assumption is correct..it also shows 0-2M.. or not interested in finding a 5-3 fit)
0

#9 User is offline   straube 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,097
  • Joined: 2009-January-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver WA USA

Posted 2010-November-18, 08:50

View Postdownagain, on 2010-November-18, 00:12, said:

3♣ = no 5M
3♦ = (31)(54)
3♥ = 4♠
3♠ = 4♥
3N = To Play
3M = 5M


I've seen this, too, and I thought I must be missing 1N-2N, 3D. Do they really not use that?

I use Puppet Stayman, too, but 1N-2N, 3D shows an unspecified 4333 (a la Klinger) but this isn't really necessary because responder can show a 4-cd major over a 3C rebid and then retreat to
3N with a 4333.

I'd like a way for responder to show interest in a 5-3 major suit fit without opener having to show a 5-cd major but haven't figured out a way to do that starting with 2N.
0

#10 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,247
  • Joined: 2010-October-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 2010-November-18, 08:52

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-November-18, 05:55, said:

When you are writing a post, there is a sneaky little button with a question mark in a blue circle, in the same row as the "other styles" and "fonts" drop-downs.


Ty, mg
I got it now
And ty too, downagain

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .
0

#11 User is offline   Neobas 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 2009-April-25
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Interests:Gaming (online), history, bridge.

Posted 2010-November-20, 06:29

I came up with a little something the other day, but it was only just after I learnt 1NT-2NT could be Puppet so do not laugh please :P

1NT-2NT;
3♣ 5cm

3♦ 4cM

3M 5cM

3NT 33(34) or (32)44


If you play 3♣ as 5cm there you could play 4♣ after 3NT as Minor Suit Ask:
1NT-2NT; 3NT-4♣;
4♦ 33(34)
4♥ 3244
4♠ 2344


Though admittedly it might give away too much information and a minor fit finding system after Meckwell's 3♣ might work better. I personally play 3M as a singleton M, 3coM and (54) minor, which I guess is inferior but pretty simple to remember :) What do you think?
Like to play with friends (you're welcome to become one ;)).
Dutch U20
0

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,853
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2010-November-20, 07:17

If you are going down this route then it makes more sense for 3C to show 5m332 or (32)44 and reserve 3NT for 4m333. Then after a 3D relay you have 3M for the corresponding minor and 3NT for (32)44.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#13 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-November-20, 09:45

The general purpose of Puppet in these auctions is to disclose as little information as possible, and reach 3N/4M as fast as possible giving the least information. Therefore I don't like having to describe my minor-suit holdings when we will usually be playing 3N anyway.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
1

#14 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-November-22, 07:03

The volcano is right, puppet stayman is designed to get to 3NT/4M quickly, that's why you don't care about jumping and you want to keep as much information as possible to yourself. If you want full relays you have to start lower. Showing a 5 card minor (or any other minor suit holding) is useless. Also note that MW use 3♣ just to deny a 5 card M. Regular puppet stayman uses the first step to show a 4 card M because responder can still have 4-4M, with 4-4 MW starts with a regular Stayman.

Compare the auctions:
Regular PS: 1NT-3♣-3♦-3♥-3NT
Meckwell PS: 1NT-2NT-3♣-3♥-3NT
In the first auction opps know about a 4 card ♥ in opener's hand, in the 2nd auction they know nothing.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#15 User is offline   raspeball 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 2020-April-24

Posted 2020-May-06, 12:48

View PostMickyB, on 2010-November-18, 00:01, said:

I am interested in continuations over 1NT:2NT and how it affects continuations over 1NT:2C. Does anyone know how Meckwell play it?

Thanks


Bringing life to this old conversation. I am interested if anybody have some thoughts on what NT structure fits, if you want to use 1nt-2nt as puppet.
My initial thoughts has been (Just copying some existing treatments).

1nt-2♣
2♦/♥-2♠=5 card spade. Invite.

1nt-2♦
2♥-2♠=Forcing 1 round. Invitational 5 card ♥

Normal transfers after 2♦ and 2♥=Normal transfers (But with game forcing transfer for responders second bid: 1nt-2♦;2♥-2nt=Hearts and clubs. gameforcing)

1nt-2♠=Range ask or clubs (Weak or gameforcing). Responder shows short suits

1nt-2nt=Puppet ala this tread.

1nt-3♣=Diamonds. Weak or gameforcing

1nt-3♦=? One option is 4-1 in majors and 4-4 in minors (3♥ from opener asks where the short suit is)

1nt-3♥=5-5 game invitational

........Sidenote:
.......1nt-2♥
.......2♠-3♦=5-5 majors, gameforcing(I like this sequence since it leaves room for opener to bid 3nt with no/poor fit .......for majors (2-2 in majors), or responder to show a void:

.......1nt-2♥
.......2♠-3♦
.......3♥(Sets hearts)-4♣/4♦=5-5 majors, void in suit bid)

1nt-3♠=5-5 minors, gameforcing.

There are some holes in my system:

If responder have 4 spades and 5 hearts with invitational strength there is no bid to show that, so i have to improvise and choose the smalles lie (Use garbage stayman)
Invitational hands with clubs or diamonds.
+Probably quite a few others :)
0

#16 User is offline   The Pud 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 2014-August-07

Posted 2020-May-07, 06:20

If responder have 4 spades and 5 hearts with invitational strength there is no bid to show that, so i have to improvise and choose the smalles lie (Use garbage stayman)

- I play 1N - 2♣ - 2♦ - 2♥ as 5♥4♠ invitational. If you're 5-4 majors, transfer and pass
0

#17 User is offline   raspeball 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 2020-April-24

Posted 2020-May-07, 09:02

View PostThe Pud, on 2020-May-07, 06:20, said:

If responder have 4 spades and 5 hearts with invitational strength there is no bid to show that, so i have to improvise and choose the smalles lie (Use garbage stayman)

- I play 1N - 2♣ - 2♦ - 2♥ as 5♥4♠ invitational. If you're 5-4 majors, transfer and pass


Ok. Yes, then you dont have a problem. But I usually uses this sequence as weak with play:
1N - 2♣
2♦ - 2♥ as 4♥+4♠ and weak (Opener passes or bids 2♠).

According to Wikipedia I gave the wrong explanation of what i play(According to Wikipedia my version is called crawling stayman).I think most of my partners would not be willing to give up 2♥ in this sequence as weak.
0

#18 User is offline   dokoko 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 281
  • Joined: 2017-May-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Germany
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2020-July-05, 02:43

View Postraspeball, on 2020-May-07, 09:02, said:

According to Wikipedia I gave the wrong explanation of what i play.


Has "Wikipedia" won any tournaments so far? ;)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users