BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB Pesky Preempts

#1 User is offline   keylime 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Posts: 2,735
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville, TN
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2010-October-22, 18:05

You are playing with your favorite partner, MPs, in 2nd seat red vs. white, and you are dealt this fine hand:

void
AKQJT9x
Kxx
JTx

Of course, RHO opens 3♠. After your 4♥ call, LHO bids 4♠. Partner doubles.

What do you do, and why? You have 4NT as your disposal for either two places to play, or a good heart hand, as well as normal things.

"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali
0

#2 User is offline   bucky 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 430
  • Joined: 2010-May-18

Posted 2010-October-22, 18:15

Is the panel supposed to make a call or make a blame?
 
 
0

#3 User is offline   keylime 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Posts: 2,735
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville, TN
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2010-October-22, 18:50

Call first, and then we'll get to the blame. A two-parter.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali
0

#4 User is offline   RJWP 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 2010-October-15

Posted 2010-October-22, 19:13

i bid 5♥ ptn showin general values ( with a real pen he should pass and hope i dbl on gnrl values), freq is more often than some kind of pen pass. May be good good may be wrong: bottom line no one to blame for a bad result congrats your opps with courtesy.
Not a native english speaker
0

#5 User is offline   wank 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,866
  • Joined: 2008-July-13

Posted 2010-October-23, 02:14

i stand the double. i don't see how my hand is so different from what partner would expect on this auction
0

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-October-23, 03:41

5♥, we are vul so I don't think we have any extras, but we have high ODR that's for sure.
0

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-October-23, 06:27

5♥. Partner didn't make a penalty double, at least not in my mind. If I had to guess, I'd say partner has a penalty double.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#8 User is offline   wyman 

  • Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,712
  • Joined: 2009-October-19
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2010-October-23, 06:38

5H
oh dee arrrrr (& vul)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff
0

#9 User is offline   mfa1010 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 796
  • Joined: 2010-October-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 2010-October-23, 07:02

4NT then 5♥. Nice to have this treatment available. I like to encourage a raise from partner - I think this hand is strong enough with the spade void and solid suit.
Michael Askgaard
0

#10 User is offline   dake50 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,211
  • Joined: 2006-April-22

Posted 2010-October-23, 07:17

I take Double at high levels to show up-values but 2xS-losers. I choose 4NT to hear partner's minor, then 5H.
0

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,542
  • Joined: 2010-February-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 2010-October-23, 08:20

View Postwank, on 2010-October-23, 02:14, said:

i stand the double. i don't see how my hand is so different from what partner would expect on this auction

I agree.
0

#12 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-October-23, 19:30

5H for me... Not enough to encourage partner too much, partner should know what's right after this... With xxx x AQxxx KQxx I would think they would find a raise.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#13 User is offline   kayin801 

  • Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 738
  • Joined: 2007-October-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Mass.

Posted 2010-October-23, 19:52

5♥, and if you're not going to bid 5♥ you should pass (which is way worse than 5♥. Why would I bid 4NT when I only have any interest in playing in one strain? I don't think we have enough extra to bid 4NT then 5♥, even with the spade void.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil ♥ sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1
0

#14 User is offline   rhm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,092
  • Joined: 2005-June-27

Posted 2010-October-24, 01:56

4NT

Partner is showing general values outside of ♠. With only ♠ values he should not dbl. Opposite this hand partner will almost never have enough to bid 5♥ directly, because of no values in ♥ and ♠ losers. Partner might have ♠xx ♥xx ♦AQJxx ♣Axxx

If partner had bid 5♥ you should have invited a grand with 5♠
Passing the DBL is a big error in judgment and though 5♥ is much better it is still a poor bid. If you held a singleton ♠ instead of a minor card, 5♥ would be right. If 6♥ is lay-down partner will pass a direct 5 ♥ arguing rightly that he showed his values by his double.
If partner later raises a delayed 5♥ to 6♥ I doubt that it will have no play.

Partner should reflect that your strength is still somewhat limited by your initial 4♥, since you neither doubled and then bid ♥ nor jumped to 5♥ directly over 3♠
You have a close decision if partner bids 5 ♥ over 4NT, but I would raise.


Rainer Herrmann
0

#15 User is offline   karlson 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 974
  • Joined: 2005-April-06

Posted 2010-October-24, 04:07

I also think it's good enough for 4n..5♥. I don't think partner should raise an immediate 5♥ with the hand vesuvius gave.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users