Al_U_Card, on Feb 7 2007, 05:35 PM, said:
Religion is the ultimate refuge of the ignorant.
Let's consider an ignorant. It could be someone who doesn't know what's right and what's wrong, or someone who doesn't know how the Universe, plants, animals and humans came into being, or someone who doesn't know how to account for sentience in terms of neurophysiology.
1) First solution (refuge?) could be: "Some authority (science teacher, priest, parents, best friend, whoever) told me that ...."
2) Second solution/refuge: "My own reasoning/experiments/spiritual expirience/whatever tells me that ...."
3) Third solution/refuge: "I don't care what the real truth is and if the question makes any sense at all at a deep filosophical level. But in my present situation, it seems a reasonable working hypothesis that ....."
Only 3) is still ignorant, and has thus chosen a refuge rather than a solution. 2) could still be ignorant, depending on the realibility of the authority, and the second could be ignorant, depending on the correctness of the reasoning.
Intellectual progress depends on our ability to combine 1) and 2) in the right proportions. With 1 alone, ancient knowledge (which was often wrong in the first place) will decay as in the "Chinese wispers" game. Religious scriptures are extreme examples of that. The "the-Inuits-have-XXX-words-for-snow" hox is another example. With 2 alone, each individual and each generation will have to start from scratch.
I personally value 3) a lot. While I consider moral and cultural relativism to be way off, some flexibility (especially intellectual flexibilyty) is necesary in a pluralistic and fast-changing World. And if there are things that I can't know, I strongly prefer to admit my ignorance to pretending some knowledge. Case in point: I do understand Darwinism, but I don't understand cosmology. So if you challenge my atheistic World view by asking me how the Universe came into being, my answer is "I have no idea, and that doesn't bother me".
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket