keylime, on Feb 3 2007, 07:48 PM, said:
I hardly know where to begin with a posting like this one
>Acid rain, the rising of the oceans, the population boom (which was predicted,
>wrongly, to end the Earth in 1825 with Malthus), and other disasters have been >predicted by well-meaning people whose science has been fundamentally flawed.
>Remember Carl Sagan's fear of a nuclear winter? Where is it? I don't see it yet.
Acid raid happened. It didn't develop in as serious a problem as it might have because organizations like the EPA put limits on SO2 emissions.
Mathusian type population pressures are blamed for a lot of really hideous occurances. There are some very good studies suggesting the recent genocides like Rwanda were a result of population pressure. To date, mankind has been saved by a couple key factors: 1. Population isn't increasing geometrically because humans tend to limit the number of children that they have as income rises. 2. We've seen a lot of scientific improvement. However, issues like pollution, global warming, and limits on raw materials might mean that the free ride has come to an end.
As for nuclear winter: I don't think that anyone managed to disprove the basic science. its just that we never conducted any of the large scale experiments that would be necessary to validate the conjecture.
>Yet, even with the all the emissions from the large number of cars and airplanes
>and such, the Earth still keeps going. It is a vibrant, dynamic, synergistic
>organism that is responsive and adaptive to changes in its realm.
I agree with you. The Earth is dynamic. The Earth is going to keep on going. However, its important to understand that these dynamic changes occasionally kill 50 - 90% of the species living on the planet. This has happened at least five times before.
>Many forget that right now the Sun is in a high spot of activity (for about 60 years).
>Danish scientists have proposed recently that higher than average solar activity
>equates to higher temperatures due to cosmic ray intensity decreasing and
>stronger magnetic fields. Also, the Earth's orbit has been shown to have some
>bearing on ice ages (
Scientific American 22 Dec 2006 ).
Factors lik these get built into climate models, almost all of which state that mankind is responsible for significant amounts warming above and beyond what would be expected from sunspots, orbit changes, etc.
>1. Uncontrolled fires in China's abandoned coal mines release as much carbon >dioxide as the entire nation of Japan does from useful fuel consumption.
Is this (somehow) supposed to make me feel better about other sources of CO2 emissions. Vlado Bevc introduced this point to suggest that the Kyoto caps are impossible to enforce. Its not an argument that CO2 emissions are bad.
>2. The oceans and land outgas 210 billion tons per year compared to 3 billion tons >per year from human activity.
Yes: Natural processes emit substantial amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere. There are a lot of dynamics which govern how much CO2 gets absorbed and released in the oceans, land etc. However, these processes exist in a (rough) equilibirum. All of the additional CO2 that mankind is dumping into the atmosphere are disturbing the system. The simpliest analogy is the following:
Lets assume that I have a 1000 gallon bath tub. The bathtub (currently) contains 500 gallons of water. The drain is open and water exits the system at a rate of 210 gallons per hour. Furthermore, the water is running and water pours into the tub at a rate of 210 gallons per hour. Now, lets assume that I go and play with the system. I open up the faucet a bit more and now I'm dumping 213 gallons of water into the tub. I'm gonna end up with a wet floor...
BTW: its worth noting the conclusion of Vlado Bevc's little piece:
"Our children and grandchildren will ask us whether we believed the great hoax of global warming and I, for one, don't want to be telling them that I kept a chart of my carbon footprint. I love to take my SUV to Tahoe, ski at night on well-lit slopes, fly airplanes and do all the power-intensive activities within my reach.
I recommend you keep doing the same or whatever else you enjoy. Have no fear. The Earth is a big place and your enjoyment of life will not hurt it in the least."