BBO Discussion Forums: Experimental web-client comments thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Experimental web-client comments thread Please post feedback here

#1 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-17, 15:30

We have released an experimental new version of the BBO web-client. You can read more about it here:

Click to learn more about experimental web-client

This is the place to post whatever comments you have - please let us know what you think!

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-17, 16:10

Humph. Well it is an improvement, in my view. But, for me, a complete irrelevancy. If I were forced to use pictures of cards, then I think that this layout is better than the main released version.

However I find it hard to imagine that, for me, pictures of cards will ever approach the cleanliness and ease of use of diagram mode, and so far this is for me no exception. All we have here is a pictures-of-cards layout that is inferior to diagram mode by a smaller margin. So I will continue to use diagram mode, whether in web client or Windows client, and reflect with disappointment that BBO programmers have been pressurised by force of numbers of customer feedback complaints to devote resources to this aspect when, as far as I am concerned, there are more important issues.

Sorry if that sounds like bah humbug, but well, this is nearly Christmas.

I suppose I have to accept, given the strength of opinion, that there really are some players out there who prefer pictures-of-cards layout. I really wish that someone out there could articulate the attraction.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2012-December-17, 20:14

For some of us, seeing pictures of cards better resembles being at a real table, rather than seeing something out of a book.

Having said that, and reflecting how opinions differ, I find it fascinating that people can prefer the pictures in the experimental version, when I find nothing appealing about them at all. BBO has displays for everyone, and that's great.

#4 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-December-18, 00:45

:P Well I do agree with the first comment. If I HAD to use pictures (which I seldom do) then it is slightly better in terms of use than the pictures you use now, but only because it is a little easier to see which card is which. It's a decent enough effort to include as a third choice on the menu.

From an aesthetic viewpoint it is a nightmare, imo.

#5 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-18, 05:25

Hmm, I think I prefer the regular cards of the normal web view. But I can see different people might like different things. I wonder how this would look on a mobile phone (possibly better), but I have problems with flash so don't think that will work for me.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-December-18, 07:17

I use diagram mode, but certainly prefer the current card pictures to the experimental ones.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-18, 10:07

Mbodell, on 2012-December-18, 05:25, said:

Hmm, I think I prefer the regular cards of the normal web view. But I can see different people might like different things. I wonder how this would look on a mobile phone (possibly better), but I have problems with flash so don't think that will work for me.

Since we now have the mobile app, why does that matter?

#8 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-18, 14:03

barmar, on 2012-December-18, 10:07, said:

Since we now have the mobile app, why does that matter?

It doesn't. Only I forgot there was a mobile app, even though I have it installed. :)

#9 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-18, 17:31

Since the beta allows you to pick the large index faces or the standard BBO index, I do not see how this could be anything but better. On my 15" laptop the standard cards are fine, but so is my vision.

I think you need feedback from the folks that complain that the "cards are too small".

That said, I suspect that many do not figure out right clicking will bring up the pop-up menu. I also think that the "options" menu could be better organized. Options, more options, Basic/Advanced seems like it just grew that way as more "options" got added.

How about Settings (instead of options which sounds like something from Wall Street) with Tabs for Cards and play, Animation, Sound, Kibitzing , Chat, Managing Friends, etc. or some such functional organization? Settings is kind of like "File, Preferences" in windows, or Chrome, Preferences on a Mac.

Settling on Preferences (Mac/Windows), or Settings (like iPhone, iPad...) seems better to me.

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-18, 21:57

I'm in the camp that prefers pictures of cards, and on a wide-screen monitor, I prefer the new card graphics.

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2012-December-19, 01:02

At the risk of appearing to have a jaded perception of my fellow man, I sometimes wonder whether a respectable proportion of complainers are even aware of the availability of diagram mode.

If the complainers are sufficiently averse to the existing pictures of cards display as to warrant the effort of filing a complaint, then I regard it likely that many of those individuals would prefer the diagram mode to the existing pictures of cards mode (even if an improved pictures of cards mode would motivate them to switch back). I speculate that having identified a superior, albeit imperfect (from their viewpoint) diagram mode, a substantial chunk of said players probably would not bother to put pen to paper, or finger to keyboard, to complain about the pictures of cards mode that they have discarded.

It might be interesting to set up the web client interface so that new accounts default alternately to diagram mode and to picture of cards mode at first log in, and then monitor (a) how many of them switch (and from which camp to which), and (b) how many of them from each camp respectively (especially those who do not switch) then complain about the look and feel of the cards displayed.

Another idea might be to set up the web interface to monitor when a new user changes interface (it may already do that), and if he has not TRIED the alternative interface after (say) 5 or 10 logins, then to force it to change to the alternative view, with a message that this was a one time only change and he is free to swap back if he wishes.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-19, 10:19

FM75, on 2012-December-18, 17:31, said:

How about Settings (instead of options which sounds like something from Wall Street) with Tabs for Cards and play, Animation, Sound, Kibitzing , Chat, Managing Friends, etc. or some such functional organization? Settings is kind of like "File, Preferences" in windows, or Chrome, Preferences on a Mac.

Are you aware that the old version has a tabbed settings dialogue? We don't want to repeat that.

1eyedjack, on 2012-December-19, 01:02, said:

At the risk of appearing to have a jaded perception of my fellow man, I sometimes wonder whether a respectable proportion of complainers are even aware of the availability of diagram mode.

Any time I've suggested that someone switch to diagram mode, they almost always come back "But I prefer cards".

#13 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-20, 19:49

The cards in the Mobile version are classy. Can we have them on the web version, please?
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#14 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-21, 12:03

for me I would give this a 3 on a scale of 10
not really relevant but i guess some people wanted something different

hey or maybe we could change the back of the cards so we could have naked men or ladies
like some of those old risque cards,,,,just joking of course

#15 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2012-December-21, 13:42

Not really fond of this look.

Guess I'm one of the few that loves how the current web version already looks/functions.

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-December-21, 20:45

i like the new look of the cards (i use the hand diagram like books when i play now, i might switch to the card version).
--Ben--

#17 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 07:15

Hi BBO:

This is a feedback report which come from Chinese Forum on the web-client.
As your BBO know,Rain have made a lot of works on your web-client, Here is some feedbacks at my Chinese Forum.
Acording to my experimental investigation,I can able to tell me what our Chinese players are thinking.

1-Most of peoples also love your BBO software client!
Why? reasons at below:

a)View window in the BBO software client is more bigger and more comfortable than other web-client,so please your BBO keep it big and comfortable as possible.
b) We can see "public chat" so as to be easier to look for any random TM at BBO software client,however web-client can unable to afford these functions at present.So,please your BBO help us to get informations rapidly on the random team match,because most of our chinese like playing TM,only.

2-We hope View Window of your web-client make more and more wider and bigger.

a)We hope your BBO can cancel ads at view left side window if agreed.
b)We think the pictures of cards option is very good and acceptable now.
c)There is a important problem about invitational TM showing time. Many of my members have been telling me that the stay time of invitational TM list is too short and sometimes many players can not accept invitation of TM in time on line after the host of TM invite teammates to join a TM.
4)It upgrade slow for the Kibitzers list at your BBO Web-client.

3-Speed and Stability.

We know the network between China and USA is very complicated. Of course,your BBO quality is not bad. some players said to me they are often disconnected.
I have to say Google had withdrawn from China,it affect greatly for our chinese players.I can't visit many bridge websites ,its reasons are complicated ,I can't dare even mutter dissent on the forum.Beg your pardon.
Compared with other server links ,our chinese have to say that China Server improve obviously in connection speed and stability, its effect is very very good !
4-Of importance,I also found surprisedly that I can be able to chat with Taiwanese by Chinese characters,whatever it is simplified characters or traditional Chinese .it is not possible in the past.So congratulate BBO to make a historic progress!

All chinese players are very grateful to your BBO due to China Server!

That's all for today.

Best Regards

Sino Lau

Chinese Forum

#18 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-09, 05:54

I have been using the beta client with the new cards for about 2 weeks now. The cards felt a bit strange first, but now I totally used to them. This is probably the problem of all who stick to the windows client because they like the windows cards more - they simply did not try other cards for some period of time.

The new cards rate to be an advantage on relatively small screens, because they are so bold. I am not sure if I return to the original web client cards, because they are nicer and fit on my big display, or if I stick with the new cards. Future users should be able to chose, too - both versions of cards should survive.

Karl

#19 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-January-13, 02:46

mink, on 2013-January-09, 05:54, said:

This is probably the problem of all who stick to the windows client because they like the windows cards more - they simply did not try other cards for some period of time.
Karl

Please don't presume to speak for others.

#20 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-30, 20:26

Recently I have a investigation on "What are you hoping BBO improvements in 2013",several players hope that when use bboweb client,all of the hands which we played or looked on can be reserved automatically into our computer.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users