Support Double and Precision when do you pass ?
#1
Posted Today, 05:19
Using support doubles, A double shows 3 card support. If opener makes any bid besides pass or a raise, then he is denying 3 card Major support.
For us, if bidding went 1D -(P) -1H -(1S)- then opener's 2nd bid would be
1NT shows NT shape, a stop and denies 3 card support
2C would show 54 in the minors (possibly 6 diamonds and 4 clubs), denies 3 card support
2D would show long diamonds, denies 3 card support
2H shows 4 card support with NT shape
3H seems like a rare bid with support and 5332 shape
2S would be undefined - do you define it ?
Suppose, however, that you do have 3 card support. Now your choices are to either pass or double. I'm trying to figure out a 'rule' or guidelines where you should pass vs where you should double, recognizing that your partner may only have a 4- card suit and only 6 HCP.
Is the rule as simple as, I am willing to play 2 of your majors with a 7-card fit, even if you are at a minimum? (I can see that there may be times when Opener may want to do a trap pass even if he has 3 of partner's Major)
I definitely welcome any comments.
#2
Posted Today, 05:40
You are right in that you need to decide if they are virtually mandatory or not in your style. There is disagreement..
#3
Posted Today, 06:05
mike777, on 2026-October-10, 05:40, said:
You are right in that you need to decide if they are virtually mandatory or not in your style. There is disagreement..
Thanks! and yes, that is precisely the question I am looking to see comments on. I think the nuances and options you mention are likely talking about are on responders' rebids, and not so much on opener's choices which are pretty straight forward when he has 3 card support: He can either (trap) pass or double.
Putting a trap pass aside, can you give any insight beyond my thinking: double if willing to play 2M with 7-card fit? Do you play precision with support doubles?
SO far, the online stuff I see are written for people who play 2 over 1 or Standard American
#4
Posted Today, 07:58
Of course, this works better when we can rule out the diamond one suited hand (which opens 2♦ in my style) but I play this way even in a natural/better minor system. A big part of the advantage is simply knowing what’s forcing — a surprising number of support double players don’t seem to know whether a bid other than his major is even forcing by responder after the support double.
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#5
Posted Today, 09:31
awm, on 2026-October-10, 07:58, said:
Of course, this works better when we can rule out the diamond one suited hand (which opens 2♦ in my style) but I play this way even in a natural/better minor system. A big part of the advantage is simply knowing what’s forcing — a surprising number of support double players don’t seem to know whether a bid other than his major is even forcing by responder after the support double.
I probably have several questions I could and may ask, but start with my first 2 questions. When you open a (your) precision diamond, when would you pass if bidding went 1D -(P) -1H - (1S) and you hold 3 Hearts and my 2nd question is, if you make a non-heart bid did you just deny 3 hearts ?
#6
Posted Today, 10:13
strong 1c, on 2026-October-10, 09:31, said:
I would pass if holding 3+♠. Bidding 2♣ denies three hearts by inference (since 9 cards in the minors + 3♥ means short spades). My 1♦ doesn’t include one suited diamonds so I don’t have to worry about this hand type. A 1nt rebid could include three hearts though (especially 4333).
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#7
Posted Today, 12:05
awm, on 2026-October-10, 10:13, said:
Are the following statements true for you?
A. You will always double when you have a 3-card fragment with two exceptions: i) a trap pass where you think playing defense is a good option and ii) bidding 1NT, if available, may have a fragment.
B. Any natural bid you make denies a fragment.
C. With a fragment you never pass with the one exception noted in A.
D. A pass is allowed but it denies a fragment unless its a trap pass
D = C
#8
Posted Today, 13:01
strong 1c, on 2026-October-10, 12:05, said:
A. You will always double when you have a 3-card fragment with two exceptions: i) a trap pass where you think playing defense is a good option and ii) bidding 1NT, if available, may have a fragment.
B. Any natural bid you make denies a fragment.
C. With a fragment you never pass with the one exception noted in A.
D. A pass is allowed but it denies a fragment unless its a trap pass
D = C
A. No. I almost never have a trap pass. For example:
1♦ - Pass - 1♥ - 1♠:
♠T964
♥AQ2
♦KQ984
♣2
I would pass. If partner doubles, I will bid 2♥ (not pass).
♠J42
♥KQ9
♦A54
♣QT64
I would pass. I don't have a spade stopper but I have too many spades to double.
B. This is true in the context of the club system I actually play, but not necessarily always true:
♠Q42
♥JT2
♦AKJ983
♣3
I would bid 2♦, since double shows club length which I don't have. Pass doesn't appeal with this shape.
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#9
Posted Today, 13:37
- Making support doubles mandatory with 3-card support is simplest. It can profit on defence and on lots of bid-on-versus-stop-here decisions. It also saves a lot of debates on which hand with 3-card support is good enough/too defensively oriented/has enough ruffing value/wants to be in 2M/whatever.
- I think takeout doubles are superior to support doubles, but this requires more detailed partnership discussions.
- Support doubles are stronger in limited opening systems compared to natural systems.
- Some of the hands you list, e.g. "1NT shows NT shape, a stop and denies 3 card support", can also just pass.
- Don't worry about getting too high with a minimum opposite a minimum. It's rare, and when it happens the opponents likely make something. Playing 2M in a 4-3 fit is not that bad at all.
- Worry about the continuations. Almost nobody actually knows what they are doing on these auctions. Which bids by responder are forcing after a support double, which are offers to play, how does opener further clarify the hand?
- You mention opener trap passing? That seems risky in a limited opening system.
#10
Posted Today, 14:01
DavidKok, on 2026-October-10, 13:37, said:
- Making support doubles mandatory with 3-card support is simplest. It can profit on defence and on lots of bid-on-versus-stop-here decisions. It also saves a lot of debates on which hand with 3-card support is good enough/too defensively oriented/has enough ruffing value/wants to be in 2M/whatever.
- I think takeout doubles are superior to support doubles, but this requires more detailed partnership discussions.
- Support doubles are stronger in limited opening systems compared to natural systems.
- Some of the hands you list, e.g. "1NT shows NT shape, a stop and denies 3 card support", can also just pass.
- Don't worry about getting too high with a minimum opposite a minimum. It's rare, and when it happens the opponents likely make something. Playing 2M in a 4-3 fit is not that bad at all.
- Worry about the continuations. Almost nobody actually knows what they are doing on these auctions. Which bids by responder are forcing after a support double, which are offers to play, how does opener further clarify the hand?
- You mention opener trap passing? That seems risky in a limited opening system.
Thanks David and Adam
yeah on trap pass...perhaps 1D -1H -(2C) where opener is 54 in minors, but I it seems remote; I agree
It seems like there may be two schools of thought. Either Support doubles are mandatory with a fragment or they are not. Both have appeal. (or I suppose maybe they are mandatory with well-defined exceptions) I may just try the easier approach and see how it plays out, adjust as necessary.
Continuations I'll next think about. With a weak hand, Responder can just retreat. If opponents make a 2-level bid over the double, Peter and I play transfer lebensohl when this occurs so we can invite, shows stops, bid game, etc. I have to think about 1D - (P) -1H -(2C) -then Double -(P) -and back to Responder . Probably cue bid is game force and all is invitational
Adam, when you do a SD, does that imply a point count ? ..eg. 13-15, or no
#11
Posted Today, 14:11
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

Help
