BBO Discussion Forums: what is the meaning of the alert of 4d - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what is the meaning of the alert of 4d

#1 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 271
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted Yesterday, 04:01


Is it better a 2♣ open?
Is it 4♦alerted a visual of slam?
0

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Yesterday, 04:39

you need to ask the alerter
0

#3 User is offline   bluenikki 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 929
  • Joined: 2019-October-14

Posted Yesterday, 06:16

Useful meaning is this hand. Confirming hearts, game value, long strong diamonds.
0

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,470
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 06:25

--
0

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,470
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 06:29

 bluenikki, on 2026-October-09, 06:16, said:

Useful meaning is this hand. Confirming hearts, game value, long strong diamonds.

Wouldn't it be more useful to bid 3♠ confirming hearts, singleton/void in spades, slam interest, do you have clubs control?
0

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,470
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 06:38

 cencio, on 2026-October-09, 04:01, said:



Is 4♦alerted a visual of slam?

In most countries it should not be alerted face to face without screens whatever the meaning, as it is neither in first round nor below four level.
On BBO I would alert any meaning, it's a fairly unusual bid.
As to what it means, who knows, although probably fit and long strong diamonds.


cencio, on 2026-October-09, 04:01, said:

Is it better a 2♣ open?

No, it's a tricky hand to bid after 2♣ and you have little risk of being passed out after a natural 1♦.
0

#7 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,240
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted Yesterday, 08:11

Not sure why its alerted as its the 2nd round of bidding above 3N
0

#8 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 08:28

-
0

#9 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,262
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 08:30

Had no idea this would be alertable

Seems normal for ever. Decades
Standard bridge .

I would like a bit better diamonds
0

#10 User is online   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,452
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, D18; Chapala, D16

Posted Yesterday, 09:35

I would (delayed, FtF) Alert this probably anywhere, as it is "natural, but" because by agreement it is a fit bid (in the ACBL, it is clear. "Natural, Alert, Always: 1. A Natural bid which also shows Length or values in another suit.") And it might be "just bridge", but we can clearly see just from this thread that this idea, which has been around for decades (I believe from Roth's "Picture Bidding"), that it is clearly not "knowledge and experience of matters generally known to bridge players" (40B5a, what used to be "general bridge knowledge", but that phrase was so abused as to require a rewriting in 2017).

And here I think the "suit of quality and trick-taking ability" is likely to be more important for partner to visualize 12 tricks than "zero or one losers in Spades" (like Mike, would like "a bit better" diamonds. But a singleton honour, or small doubleton, should guarantee 5 diamond tricks with a chance at 6. For slam, partner's hand is likely to be "I can see only one quick loser, but I have no idea if we have enough winners" - and 4♦ answers that question for her (and the fact that her "one loser" is actually zero will probably come out via ace-ask, so if 13 is on...)

And I can't think of a worse hand to "upgrade" into 2♣. Two-suiters are hard, hands with primary diamonds are hard, handling potential spade interference is hard, the best-scoring game - if game is all - will have to be bid "to show the suit" rather than "to limit hand" so partner will have an unenviable guess; Kit in "Matchpoints" talks about the Second Flaw when discussing making an imperfect call. Here, "where you see one man, I see 4." ("C4?" <Boom>)
"Do you hear it?" -- Molly Conger
0

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,470
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 09:48

You owe us the North hand :)
0

#12 User is offline   apollo1201 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,321
  • Joined: 2014-June-01

Posted Yesterday, 10:43

 bluenikki, on 2026-October-09, 06:16, said:

Useful meaning is this hand. Confirming hearts, game value, long strong diamonds.

Usually a bit weaker. If partner bids 4H we will not be so pleased and want to continue. The hand is also too strong for a splinter I would say.

Not alerted where I play as it is very standard and most people would know it. I would facing more novice opps who might not know the bid to attract their attention to the fact that they will not know it shows a fit.
0

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,470
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 12:14

View Postapollo1201, on 2026-October-09, 10:43, said:

Usually a bit weaker. If partner bids 4H we will not be so pleased and want to continue. The hand is also too strong for a splinter I would say.

My thought too, as partner I would not expect ♥AK and a black suit which could have splintered more economically.

View Postapollo1201, on 2026-October-09, 10:43, said:

Not alerted where I play as it is very standard and most people would know it. I would facing more novice opps who might not know the bid to attract their attention to the fact that they will not know it shows a fit.

As I and others already pointed out, it should not be alerted f2f without screens in most RAs simply because it is at level 4 and outside the first round of bidding.
Behind screens or on BBO I would feel obliged to alert any meaning to any level of opponents, it costs me nothing and the bid is infrequent and unlikely to be truly natural.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. mycroft