BBO Discussion Forums: The dark side of gibbous - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The dark side of gibbous

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,427
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-28, 12:50

MP


I see this as too strong for 1NT 15-17, whatever your willingness to bid that with a 6 card minor.
Your call after 1♠?
0

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,643
  • Joined: 2020-March-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted 2026-September-28, 12:56

3♣ 15-17 6(+)♣, seems about right.
0

#3 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-28, 12:57

I have a gadget for this
2NT=long clubs, less than 3 spades, about 15-17.

Otherwise 3C
0

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,334
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2026-September-28, 14:12

1N 15-bad 19, intending to show it as 17-19 with 5 clubs and 2 spades playing what I play

3♣ playing what you play
0

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,938
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2026-September-28, 14:36

3C is 100% normal playing standard types of methods. I’ve never understood the urge to get creative early in constructive auctions. Do we hate partner?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,427
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-28, 14:54

View Postmike777, on 2026-September-28, 12:57, said:

I have a gadget for this
2NT=long clubs, less than 3 spades, about 15-17.

What do you do with 18-19, balanced, less than 4 spades?
0

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,427
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-28, 14:58

View PostDavidKok, on 2026-September-28, 12:56, said:

3♣ 15-17 6(+)♣, seems about right.

Agreed.

How about this variant:
MP


What are our options now?
0

#8 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-28, 15:29

 pescetom, on 2026-September-28, 14:54, said:

What do you do with 18-19, balanced, less than 4 spades?


Another gadget
Rebid one no trump
One of the major reasons to play this style is this exact bid.


Standard this is just 1C-3C
0

#9 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-28, 15:32

 pescetom, on 2026-September-28, 14:58, said:

Agreed.

How about this variant:
MP


What are our options now?


I think our options are double or 3Clubs

I would choose 3C
0

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,427
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-28, 15:56

View Postmike777, on 2026-September-28, 15:29, said:

Another gadget
Rebid one no trump

And with 12-14 balanced, less than 4 spades?
0

#11 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-28, 15:58

 pescetom, on 2026-September-28, 15:56, said:

And with 12-14 balanced, less than 4 spades?

One spade, partner will actually bid one heart, with spades.
0

#12 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,427
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-28, 16:00

View Postmike777, on 2026-September-28, 15:32, said:

I think our options are double or 3Clubs

I would choose 3C


Playing a natural defence, I'm comfortable with 3C, not sure what X should be.
Playing Unusual over Unusual (or similar) I am curious what A/E would do.
0

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,427
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-28, 16:01

View Postmike777, on 2026-September-28, 15:58, said:

One spade, partner will actually bid one heart, with spades.

Ok, you forgot to mention that trivial point :)
0

#14 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-28, 16:08

 pescetom, on 2026-September-28, 16:01, said:

Ok, you forgot to mention that trivial point :)


I was trying to avoid a tempest in a teapot, which I think is the name of a Shakespearean play..

Or the third circle of hell which some Italian guy invented... probably a bridge player
0

#15 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,984
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-September-28, 17:03

Clear 3♣, breathe
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,938
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2026-September-28, 19:02

View Postpescetom, on 2026-September-28, 16:00, said:

Playing a natural defence, I'm comfortable with 3C, not sure what X should be.
Playing Unusual over Unusual (or similar) I am curious what A/E would do.

I’ve never heard of anyone playing un v un by opener. I suppose a case could be made for it, but not in anything resembling the usual un v un situation.

It’s not as if we can’t accurately describe a spade fit without un v un. 3S shows playing strength, since opener is committing to the 3 level opposite a potentially weak hand and often facing bad breaks, 4S is bigger yet. 4D and 4H are splinters. 3C shows pretty much the same hand as if RHO has passed.

If I were designing something, 3D would presumptively show a long, running club suit and a diamond stopper, looking for 3N. If I later bid spades, I was showing a huge spade raise with a diamond control. Same meaning, reversed red suits, for 3H. There are probably better methods..this took me thirty seconds to think up.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#17 User is online   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,216
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2026-September-28, 23:52

View Postpescetom, on 2026-September-28, 14:54, said:

What do you do with 18-19, balanced, less than 4 spades?
Playing Tansfer Walsh I use the break of transfer to show1N 15~17 semi-balanced<4M2♦ 18~19 (semi)-balanced2N 3-way (3x)x6, (4x)x5 GF, 6♣ 18+, 3♣/3♦ asks min. passable/max.3♣ 15~17 6+♣3M BD 4M 18~19

I need to know the strength of the 2N 4th seat bid given a number of other bids could show the same shape in the 2N variant.
0

#18 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,427
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted Yesterday, 02:27

Ok, back to what happened at table.

MP


Your agreement is that 4♣ is natural and invites control bidding (4♦ would have been Kickback).
0

#19 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,148
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 03:07

I guess 4D from p would have been Kickback?

If 4D from me is also KC, I would go with it, otherwise I bid 4H.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#20 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,938
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted Yesterday, 04:09

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2026-September-29, 03:07, said:

I guess 4D from p would have been Kickback?

If 4D from me is also KC, I would go with it, otherwise I bid 4H.

Great call. Partner tells you that you’re off a keycard. Im wondering how you know that you don’t have 2 diamond losers?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. mw64ahw