BBO Discussion Forums: where is my error in south and did bot bid well? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

where is my error in south and did bot bid well?

#1 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 269
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted 2026-September-21, 01:05


0

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,148
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-21, 01:18

Hi,

#1 replacing the 1H opening bid with 1D (no critique, ..., I rarely use the editor, i.e. I am not throwing stones)
#2 the X is usually a support X, i.e. it is showing 3 spades, given that 2H is not enough, it is NF
..., you could try 4C a splinter agreeing spades, the alternative is giving up on slam and bidding 4S
#3 I am not too fond on the 3D by the bot, I prefer 2S, but from 3rd bidding round onwards, the bot bids get
less and less well defined.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#3 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 269
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted 2026-September-21, 01:34

thanks i correct to 1♦
0

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,136
  • Joined: 2016-July-31
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2026-September-21, 15:12

 cencio, on 2026-September-21, 01:34, said:

thanks i correct to 1♦


When I play instant tournaments with the advanced robot, I can mouse over the bids and see what the robot thinks I have.
I think your 3S bid is forcing. You clearly have 5 spades so if you wanted to invite you would have simply bid 3S last time.
However, it's clear that the robot did not think your bid is forcing. It's possible that you could have moused over your 3S bid and seen that the robot thought it showed less. (It's also possible that you couldn't - it may work differently where you were playing.)
0

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,114
  • Joined: 2018-July-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 2026-September-23, 05:34

Bots bid determinstucally according to some program. No value judgement is really appropriate. I know they appear to bid strangely sometimes but I believe it is predictable. Edit. I know they allegedly run simulation
0

#6 User is online   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,216
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2026-September-23, 09:35

The error is the 2♥ bid which significantly undervalued South's hand.
I would bid 3♣ normally unless the bot. thinks this is natural otherwise 3♥. 4♣ is also possible, but I would tend to do that on a hand with weaker playing strength.
0

#7 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,984
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-September-23, 10:34

2♥ is "ok" 3♠ is not. I assume the bot plays support doubles
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,148
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-23, 10:44

View Postjillybean, on 2026-September-23, 10:34, said:

2♥ is "ok" 3♠ is not. I assume the bot plays support doubles


The bod plays suppX, hence why bid 2H hidding the known 6-3 spade fit, you may
end up playing 2H, it is NF.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#9 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-23, 12:15

Really great hand to discuss in depth.
Excellent question and post.

I would start with asking you a couple of questions?

1. What did you think all the bids meant, showed, forcing or not, length, etc?

2. What does the robot say they mean?
0

#10 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,984
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-September-24, 05:45

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2026-September-23, 10:44, said:

The bod plays suppX, hence why bid 2H hidding the known 6-3 spade fit, you may
end up playing 2H, it is NF.

Oh, I still play any new suit by responder as 100% forcing. Crude rule perhaps, but it has served me well.

Cencio; are your bridge aspirations to play with bots or humans? If you are learning by playing with bots, beware that bots don't bid like humans.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,148
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-24, 06:17

View Postjillybean, on 2026-September-24, 05:45, said:

Oh, I still play any new suit by responder as 100% forcing. Crude rule perhaps, but it has served me well.

Cencio; are your bridge aspirations to play with bots or humans? If you are learning by playing with bots, beware that bots don't bid like humans.


2H forcing is fine, ..., I still would prefer to tell p, that we have found a fit.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#12 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,984
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-September-24, 07:38

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2026-September-24, 06:17, said:

2H forcing is fine, ..., I still would prefer to tell p, that we have found a fit.

Yes of course, this is why I said 2♥ was "ok" :)
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#13 User is offline   JeffMorrow 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: 2025-August-16

Posted 2026-September-24, 20:00

View Postcencio, on 2026-September-21, 01:05, said:



1D by opener is standard and sensible.

1S vt responder is standard and sensible.

What I think is crucial here is that the bot is playing X as a SUPPORT double over the intervention. There are many kinds of doubles played so you should have made sure you understood the meaning of any double. Support doubles are played by many intermediate players so you need to understand when a double is a support double and what it shows.

Opener bids a suit. After a pass, responder bids a different suit (no jump). Then opponent bids a suit, and opener doubles. If you have agreed to play support doubles (and the bot assumes you have so agreed), the support double shows exactly three-card support by opener for responder’s suit. So, the bot made a solid bid with the X.

I am not an expert, but if responder does not rebid that supported suit, I will assume that responder has only four cards in it, and my further bidding will be based on a major misunderstanding. Experts may have a different and more sophisticated view, but I think that, with an intermediate partner, the 2H bid by responder over a support X blows the auction completely off the rails. I suspect if you had understood what the bot meant by that double, all would have been well.

So, the X was good; the 2H was not, given the meaning of the X.
0

#14 User is offline   mr1303 

  • Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,576
  • Joined: 2003-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2026-September-24, 21:23

On this specific auction, why would 2♥ be non-forcing? Does the support double not force to at least 2♠? I agree it doesn't come up with a game force (or anything close to it), but surely this shows something like a constructive 5 spades 4+ hearts hand at least.
0

#15 User is offline   JeffMorrow 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: 2025-August-16

Posted 2026-September-28, 07:59

View Postmr1303, on 2026-September-24, 21:23, said:

On this specific auction, why would 2♥ be non-forcing? Does the support double not force to at least 2♠? I agree it doesn't come up with a game force (or anything close to it), but surely this shows something like a constructive 5 spades 4+ hearts hand at least.


Given the South hand, I agree that South must bid spades: a nine-card fit in a major has been found.

But whether 2H by South should be a one-round force is not obvious to me. South is being forced to bid over the support double, and it does not seem sensible to say that a forced response is also a force.

0

#16 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-September-28, 09:26

View PostJeffMorrow, on 2026-September-28, 07:59, said:


Given the South hand, I agree that South must bid spades: a nine-card fit in a major has been found.

But whether 2H by South should be a one-round force is not obvious to me. South is being forced to bid over the support double, and it does not seem sensible to say that a forced response is also a force.



Good question, however think about it. South can pass the support double but instead has shown 5 spades and 4 hearts and is unlimited. What hand would north pass?

However If south rebids 2 spades rather than 2H, now south has limited their hand, may only have 4 spades and north is permitted to pass.
0

#17 User is offline   JeffMorrow 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: 2025-August-16

Posted 2026-September-28, 20:13

View Postmike777, on 2026-September-28, 09:26, said:

Good question, however think about it. South can pass the support double but instead has shown 5 spades and 4 hearts and is unlimited. What hand would north pass?

However If south rebids 2 spades rather than 2H, now south has limited their hand, may only have 4 spades and north is permitted to pass.


Oh, the support double is NOT forcing? I guess I can see that. If I have four and partner has exactly three, I may not be eager to rebid the suit, and I may have defense against intervenor. Sometimes, answering a question ignorantly can lead to enlightenment.

0

#18 User is offline   apollo1201 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,316
  • Joined: 2014-June-01

Posted Yesterday, 05:53

 mike777, on 2026-September-28, 09:26, said:

Good question, however think about it. South can pass the support double but instead has shown 5 spades and 4 hearts and is unlimited. What hand would north pass?

The hand is limited. Over a X one should thrive to give the full value of their hand.

Obvious over a TOX (e.g. 1m X pass 2M and not 1M when you have some values, you do not ask partner to bid again should you have some reserves).

Same here.
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users