BBO Discussion Forums: your opinion - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

your opinion

#1 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 270
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted 2026-August-21, 08:50


What is 2♥.
Is 3♣ correct ?
After 5 ♦ Is it opportune to bid 6 or better to pass?
0

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 2020-March-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted 2026-August-21, 14:33

For me 2♥ is a good diamond raise - at least invitational. It normally shows 4(+)♦ and denies 4oM, though it is allowed to deviate from that on rare occasions.

Over this I play 3♣ as a natural bid showing clubs. I think it is the correct bid. It is up to the partnership whether or not this sets up a game force - for me it does not. Either way, opener has the goods.

I dislike the 5♦ bid. I think North was stuck for a forcing raise, and took matters in their own hands. This preempted the partnership and deprived South of the ability to get a better picture of the combined strength.

Pass of 5♦ is unclear. I think it might be percentage to bid to 6. My inclination after such a jump is to pass rapidly - if partner had any extra values, quick tricks or shape to spare we'd have had a slower auction. However, here, we might be in the slam zone opposite even a minimum 2♥ raise, with the 9-card fit, source of tricks and control in all suits. North's diamond quality and short spades are key, and unfortunately there's no way to find out now.
0

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,457
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-August-21, 14:42

My thoughts are fairly similar.
2♥ is an INV+ raise of diamonds, 3♣ is natural and an excellent choice of bid.
5♦ in the context is "I don't know what I am doing", 4♣ fixing trumps and inviting a control-bid would seem clear.
I don't think you should move over 5♦, my habit is to pass when partner is off the rails, unless it is a really important event where the result counts above all.
Say you punt 6♦ on a (reasonable) hunch, if it makes he will never recognise the mistake and if it goes down you will even lose the post mortem.
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users