BBO Discussion Forums: Is it possible in this hand to go in a club contract? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Is it possible in this hand to go in a club contract?

#1 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 270
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted 2026-August-18, 08:57


0

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,162
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-August-18, 09:38

Dealer?

In general I would assume, that E/W discover their spade fit and compete at least to 3S,
I am not sure, that N/S want to play 4C, it seems to make, but 4C is no man's land.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#3 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 270
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted 2026-August-18, 13:16

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2026-August-18, 09:38, said:

Dealer?

In general I would assume, that E/W discover their spade fit and compete at least to 3S,
I am not sure, that N/S want to play 4C, it seems to make, but 4C is no man's land.

North bid first 1 club
0

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,346
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2026-August-18, 13:42

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2026-August-18, 09:38, said:

Dealer?

In general I would assume, that E/W discover their spade fit and compete at least to 3S,
I am not sure, that N/S want to play 4C, it seems to make, but 4C is no man's land.


If you have a bit more shape info about the hand, you can make 5♣ I think.
0

#5 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,245
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-August-18, 14:58

View Postcencio, on 2026-August-18, 13:16, said:

North bid first 1 club



Sure it is possible, why not?
0

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,457
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-August-18, 15:22

View Postcencio, on 2026-August-18, 13:16, said:

North bid first 1 club


So it depends upon your agreements and style whether South uncontested would bid 1♦ or 1♥ and then how North rebids and how you handle XYN...
Was North dealer (put it in the diagram, please) or did South and/or West pass first?
Did East bid his hearts?
With decent agreements you should not miss at least game in clubs or 5♠X.

If North is dealer and East is unusually aggressive then with Italian control-bidding it might go:
1♣ (1♥) - 3NT
4♣ - 4♦
4♥ - 4♠
and then whatever your agreements you reach 6♣, for better or worse.
0

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,005
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-August-18, 18:04

View Postmike777, on 2026-August-18, 14:58, said:

Sure it is possible, why not?

Possible but not likely.
North opens 1♣
Many E/W's will pass with those hands.
South bids 1 RED suit
North bid 1nt
South bids 2 or 3nt
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#8 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,245
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-August-18, 18:30

View Postjillybean, on 2026-August-18, 18:04, said:

Possible but not likely.
North opens 1♣
Many E/W's will pass with those hands.
South bids 1 RED suit
North bid 1nt
South bids 2 or 3nt



EW are NV who is passing?
If they are, that is a whole other discussion..to have with EW
0

#9 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,228
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2026-August-19, 00:04

Uncontested my Transfer Walsh approach will find the 9-card club fit, but I'd struggle to get to 5♣ let alone the 6♣ available and may end up stopping in 3N
As East I have 2-suited overcalls available so with East's hand I would intervene at this vulnerability with 2♥ as 45xx.
South then bids 2♠ (minor suit takeout), West competes to 3♠. North now has the choice of 3N/x♣.
If competition continues to 4♠ then I'd perhaps expect a doubled contract rather than 5/6♣.

Overall I'd expect a spread of outcomes in play.
0

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,346
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2026-August-19, 04:17

View Postmw64ahw, on 2026-August-19, 00:04, said:

Uncontested my Transfer Walsh approach will find the 9-card club fit, but I'd struggle to get to 5♣ let alone the 6♣ available and may end up stopping in 3N
As East I have 2-suited overcalls available so with East's hand I would intervene at this vulnerability with 2♥ as 45xx.
South then bids 2♠ (minor suit takeout), West competes to 3♠. North now has the choice of 3N/x♣.
If competition continues to 4♠ then I'd perhaps expect a doubled contract rather than 5/6♣.

Overall I'd expect a spread of outcomes in play.


6♣ is a desperately poor contract, you need very specific heart layouts for it to have much play.

Where we would end up would depend if E intervened over our weak NT, but unopposed the bad news is we'd be in 3N, the good news is that it would likely be on a heart lead.

If we were EW, if N opened 1♣ we would overcall 2♥. If it was 3+ cards, this would be natural and weak, if it was 2+ would be 44/45/54 majors.
0

#11 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,136
  • Joined: 2016-July-31
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2026-August-30, 11:03

View Postjillybean, on 2026-August-18, 18:04, said:

Possible but not likely.
North opens 1♣
Many E/W's will pass with those hands.
South bids 1 RED suit
North bid 1nt
South bids 2 or 3nt


If the North-South style is to bid four card spade suits over 1C P 1H then I don't think South's invitation should be in notrump. North's 1NT bid denies 4S (in those partnerships) and denies 4H so the club bid has to be at least 4 cards. When you make an invitation, you should be happy in your contract if partner passes. I'm a lot happier in 3C than in 2NT and 3C is correct on values.
Those players who bid 1NT with 4-3-3-3 (with 4S) can't jump to 3C. However, many can do some sort of checkback and if partner denies 4 spades, they can now invite with 3C.
Inviting with 3C also helps sometimes when partner accepts. Say partner has xxx, AK, Axx, Kxxxx. 3NT is automatic after 1C-1H-1NT-2NT, but if partner bids 3C instead, North should bid 3D and even if you don't reach the club game, you'll probably get a decent score for playing in clubs. However, if partner bids 3D which likely shows spade weakness, I think you can bid the club game. So, yes, against silent opponents, I think you should reach clubs unless your system is unfortunate for this hand.
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users