BBO Discussion Forums: explain me this convention over 4nt - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2

explain me this convention over 4nt

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,457
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-August-04, 16:19

View Postjillybean, on 2026-August-04, 10:24, said:

I think it's smart to leave it blank. We can always add something in later, once we've mastered our basic system and find a cool convention worth slotting in there.

I like to fill in dangerous blanks with harmless (or even useful) but low memory load meanings whenever possible. It respects USP and reinforces the ban on traditional meaning. Here a mixed 5-card raise meets that just fine.

View Postjillybean, on 2026-August-04, 10:24, said:

I too have had it marked as splinter, you know what I think about using that bidding space.

I have no particular objection to a splinter of Responder with the right hand (space is not a cost if it would be more valuable to opponents), but it is already a low frequency affair and I don't see that we need to differentiate singleton/void or that we gain much from conserving the natural jump in other major.
0

#22 User is offline   bluenikki 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 927
  • Joined: 2019-October-14

Posted 2026-August-05, 09:36

View Postmike777, on 2026-August-04, 10:52, said:

1M=3NT

Exactly what it sounds like
14-16 balanced, stoppers, 3card support.

I would not agree to a natural meaning to 3NT that did not promise 4333 in blood. Do you have any meaningful experience with your method?
0

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,457
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-August-05, 13:04

View Postbluenikki, on 2026-August-05, 09:36, said:

I would not agree to a natural meaning to 3NT that did not promise 4333 in blood. Do you have any meaningful experience with your method?


I agree that the agreement of mike777 looks a dubious method.
But natural is in the eye of the beholder, FWIW I do not consider natural a response of 3NT with known fit, even if 4333.
I would call that a fit-showing picture bid (and not play it).
0

#24 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,245
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-August-05, 14:46

View Postbluenikki, on 2026-August-05, 09:36, said:

I would not agree to a natural meaning to 3NT that did not promise 4333 in blood. Do you have any meaningful experience with your method?


Yes, 4333 correct. Yes it works fine.
Easy to remember, natural, frequent enough sort of...
0

#25 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,245
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-August-05, 14:48

View Postpescetom, on 2026-August-05, 13:04, said:

I agree that the agreement of mike777 looks a dubious method.
But natural is in the eye of the beholder, FWIW I do not consider natural a response of 3NT with known fit, even if 4333.
I would call that a fit-showing picture bid (and not play it).


dubious, why?

Yes this falls in the raise category...
0

#26 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,457
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-August-05, 15:17

View Postmike777, on 2026-August-05, 14:48, said:

dubious, why?



Because you only know 5 cards of the hand of Opener and have just nuked two levels of bidding.
0

#27 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,245
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-August-05, 15:51

View Postpescetom, on 2026-August-05, 15:17, said:

Because you only know 5 cards of the hand of Opener and have just nuked two levels of bidding.



Agree with your facts, just not your conclusion but ok...
Responder is tightly defined.

What ever problem hands, I doubt they are frequent..but ok
0

#28 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,005
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-September-25, 10:13

View PostDavidKok, on 2026-August-03, 11:33, said:

Over RKC Blackwood, 5NT commonly shows an even number of key cards with a useful side void, while 6-of-a-suit below the trump suit shows an odd number of key cards with a void in the suit bid. If your void is in a higher ranking suit, bid 6 of the trump suit instead.

This is what I was looking for.

4N:5N even keycard useful void
4N:6x odd keycard, void in x
1H:2H:4N:6H odd keycard, spade void

4N:5♥ odd keycards, heart void in a minor slam auction?

I've just played this hand in a star challenge:


This is not my auction, GIB appears to play blackwood - but how a void kc auction would have gone?.
Both tables got to 6 -1
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#29 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,457
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-25, 11:10

Yes, one would jump to 6♥ with 3 keycards and a hearts void.
0

#30 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,005
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-September-25, 11:16

View Postpescetom, on 2026-September-25, 11:10, said:

It's a very strange auction, was there UI? I don't pretend to understand weak NT bidding, but it's odd that the limited and balanced Opener is pulling game with a minimum.

Yes, one would jump to 6♥ with 3 keycards and a hearts void.


It's GIB , no UI
The "stars" auction:


My auction, 4♣ cue bid, fit in spades, 10-12 points

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#31 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,457
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-September-25, 11:23

View Postjillybean, on 2026-September-25, 11:16, said:

It's GIB , no UI


I am on phone and the auction scrolled to show 1NT as the apparent opening: sorry for the confusing comment.

Like your auction much more.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2


Fast Reply

  

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users