BBO Discussion Forums: I've never done this before! - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I've never done this before! well, it's *supposed* to be forcing

#1 User is offline   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,444
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, D18; Chapala, D16

Posted 2024-December-06, 01:49


Pickup at the club, with one of the best players there.

Our card says "sound preempts 1/2", and maybe I should have done that. But I couldn't decide whether to open 1 or 3, and ended up deciding "I'll get a chance to show this hand next round for sure" and passed.

LHO opened 1♠(!) in third, and, well...

Partner's only comment was "I know he saw my bid." RHO led his "obvious" trump, and by conceding the T and the K, eventually my partner was able to get to the board and pull the rest, to make 2.

But I've never done that before; probably never will again.
"Which is harder to find - a paranormal field agent, or someone competent who likes talking on the phone?"
"...You may return to your desk." "Thank you." -- Serena vs. Mr. Arthur, "Paranormal Helpline", EGS:NP
0

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,333
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2024-December-06, 03:32

We play a multi-option weak 2♠ bid, 5-5 minors, 5-5 reds or a bad heart preempt.

So partner opened this and I held AJ107x, 109xxx, K, xx, looked very much like partner had the minors, confirmed after I passed when the next hand bid 3♥, partner piped up with 3♠ and RHO bid 3N. I led a small spade, partner's 8 forced the Q, eventually down 2 for all the MPs.
0

#3 User is online   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,415
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2024-December-06, 07:51

What is a sound preempt 3♠ if not something like that?


This reminds me of one of our players who consistently opened hands like this as a weak two in Multi. When I grilled him about what 3M would be he finally admitted "I never open 3".
0

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,979
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-December-06, 15:22

3♠ this is a sound preempt.
Check for a pulse?
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#5 User is online   DavidKok 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,641
  • Joined: 2020-March-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted 2024-December-06, 17:36

4♠ seems normal, but if you have partnership agreements about how to bid this hand you may as well follow them. It would backfire spectacularly on this deal.
0

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

  • Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,444
  • Joined: 2003-July-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, D18; Chapala, D16

Posted 2024-December-06, 21:23

I looked at the hand and thought it had too many flaws. Not *this one*, perhaps, but 3♠-(4♥)-and when does partner double?

Probably I was wrong to pass. But it wouldn't have been anywhere near as interesting a story (I've been 4 digits after a preempt a lot, it's no longer interesting. Yes, this time it's only down 1 or 2, but still).
"Which is harder to find - a paranormal field agent, or someone competent who likes talking on the phone?"
"...You may return to your desk." "Thank you." -- Serena vs. Mr. Arthur, "Paranormal Helpline", EGS:NP
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users