Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elementary question But I have forgotten

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted Yesterday, 12:21

Partner opens 1H will 11-15 Hcp and you have 5 spades and 3hearts and say around 8 Hcp. Do you show the spades or raise the hearts?

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Yesterday, 14:17

Assuming you are not playing 4 card majors, I raise hearts

This is a pet peeve of mine, when partners don't show me support and don't have a game forcing hand.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 15:01

Precision makes this interesting.

Standard, 100% show support in a "one-bid" hand. Partner could have slam, never mind game, and she may not evaluate her hand properly if you don't show the hearts now.

But since partner is limited, "lying" and showing spades (and "preferring" hearts, which might show 2) might deter the automatic balance after 1-2; p. Which is more likely, and probably safer, in direct seat as they know opener doesn't have 20. Sure, your max is higher, too, but it could also be 11-opposite-Kxx. Now, you do have spades, so it's also less concerning letting them in - where is the balance?

I'm going table feel here, but I'm likely to bid spades if it's lead-directing, and raise hearts if my spades are just long.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 15:54

View Postmycroft, on 2024-May-21, 15:01, said:

But since partner is limited, "lying" and showing spades (and "preferring" hearts, which might show 2) might deter the automatic balance after 1-2; p. Which is more likely, and probably safer, in direct seat as they know opener doesn't have 20. Sure, your max is higher, too, but it could also be 11-opposite-Kxx. Now, you do have spades, so it's also less concerning letting them in - where is the balance?

Pretending to have 2 hearts will also stop partner competing to 3 when that's right though..

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users