BBO Discussion Forums: Confused about Bot's Negative Doubles - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confused about Bot's Negative Doubles

#1 User is offline   msheald 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 165
  • Joined: 2021-March-17

Posted 2024-March-17, 05:04

Hello! In general, I've been taught that a negative double means exactly 4 cards while a bid means 5+ cards. I realize that this depends on point count and the level of the bidding. However, I've had the bot give a negative double regardless of level and point count, be that at the one level or higher, when it holds 5 cards. That is confusing to me.

Here is a recent example.

https://tinyurl.com/266rgk5o

I realize that 10 points would be borderline 3 hearts bid at the three level, and I think that there are folks who might prefer a negative double in this situation. Personally, I think that a negative double would be the correct bid at IMPs but the suit bid would be the correct bid in MP.

In one of today's deals, I had the same thing happen at the one level. (The deal is closed now, so I'll post it tomorrow.) Would anyone use a negative double at the one level when responder has 5 cards in a suit? Perhaps with a bust hand when trying to keep the bidding open, but I think that is incorrect at IMPs, (and maybe correct at MP), but even I would rarely use it in MP, and I tend to be an aggressive bidder. Best regards.

Mike
0

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,731
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2024-March-17, 12:59

1m (1♠) x shows either exactly 4 hearts, or 5+ hearts but not quite strong enough to bid 2♥. So it is very common to double there at the one level with longer hearts, rather than meekly pass. If you get the opportunity to rebid 2♥ at your second turn, this tells partner you don't have invitational values.

GIB's bid in the first hand above just seems silly though.
I have nothing worth contributing, bye
0

#3 User is offline   msheald 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 165
  • Joined: 2021-March-17

Posted 2024-March-18, 04:11

Thank you! I appreciate your comment. Best regards.

Mike
0

#4 User is offline   msheald 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 165
  • Joined: 2021-March-17

Posted 2024-April-17, 03:57

Another example.

My human partner and I do not play negative doubles this way. With 5 or more, we bid the suit. With a weak hand, like 5 points and 5 cards where the negative double would force bidding at the two level, we might double rather than bid the suit. In this example, with a 6-card suit and 8 points where partner would have the opportunity to bid at the two level, we would never use a negative double. We try not to mislead one another with our bids, and a negative double in this situation would do that since we don't play negative doubles his way. Best regards.

Mike

https://tinyurl.com/24k8jy6e
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users